• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chipotle Lovers Unite!

Malawry

Speaking of chipotle and pronunciation, how is Niman Ranch pronounced. I have been pronouncing it in my head Nee-man

"Nee-Man" is exactly how I pronounce it as well. If it's something else, I'd like to hear otherwise so I don't sound like an arse since I'm championing it all the time to friends.

R. Jason Coulston

I'm pretty sure Niman has a long I.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Speaking of chipotle and pronunciation, how is Niman Ranch pronounced. I have been pronouncing it in my head Nee-man but I heard a story on local news pronouncing it with a long i. As I don't trust ether source, what is it?

I called them since I had always done nee-man as well but got corrected. And the answer is:

Nie-man (long i)...

510-808-0340

But I don't think that makes them less authentic anymore than a Mexican restaurant in Mexico City serving Coca-Cola in addition to tamarindo...

Dude, Mexican Coke (in the glass bottle, natch) is awesome stuff, way better than the American product. I'll often order it when I'm at a tacqueria...

I second that, man its so good in those tall glass bottles!..nothing better on a hot day along with some good "cart taco's"!

Except for a tamarindo or guyaba Jarritos in a glass bottle. Yum. Kills the burn of a firery salsa so you're ready for another loaded up bite.

Glass bottles rule. Man I miss Mt. Dew in the bottle.

Nick

Inspired by all this nonsense, I went out and had me a potle (throwing in some of the hip slang from the start of the thread) this afternoon. I had the barbacoa with hot salsa. Damn, it was pretty good. I definitely eat there again. I didn't expect a burrito the size of a football, but I ate the whole thing. :blink:

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I didn't expect a burrito the size of a football, but I ate the whole thing. :blink:

Chad

you and me both, brother.

i'm still uncomfortably full and it's been a couple hours.

Post Potle Bloat :huh:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

is this a known side-affect?

granted i was pretty hungry when i finally got a chance to eat, but i've NEVER eaten a whole burrito before. but it just kept tasting....really good.

and then by the time i started feeling full it was more than half gone, and well that's not a good stopping point.

I actually really like the vegetarian fajita burritos even though I'm not a vegetarian.

How the heck do you make a vegetarian fajita? If you tell me that they use some kind of funky soy product, I just might hurl. That would be a terrible thing to do to an innocent burrito. :raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I actually really like the vegetarian fajita burritos even though I'm not a vegetarian.

How the heck do you make a vegetarian fajita? If you tell me that they use some kind of funky soy product, I just might hurl. That would be a terrible thing to do to an innocent burrito. :raz:

It's the veggies from the fajita, if I remember correctly. Onions, Peppers along with the corn salsa, guac, pico, etc.

Bill Russell

If fajitas are done "right" the onion and pepper are grilled (or maybe griddled in restaurants) along with the fajitas so they couldn't be strictly vegetarian. But then, maybe they don't do them "right". :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The veg burrito has black beans, the cilantro-lime rice, peppers, onions, guacamole (which the meat burritos don't come with) and cheese/sour cream (uh... I actually like BOTH) and salsa. I like it. No soy products, the "fajita" part as Chipotle uses it just refers to the grilled green bell pepper/ red onion mix.