• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Va. Wineries

maf

We will be in the Charlottesville area (actually Syria) in August and would like to visit a couple wineries. I like Horton Norton and therefore plan a trip to Orange. Has anyone had a particularly good/bad experience at any wineries in the area?

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

I'm not normally a big fan of Virginia Wines, but we had the guys from Barboursville Vineyards lead our Thursday wine tasting last month and I was pretty impressed with some of their wines.

...and I hear it is a beautiful vineyard, so you might consider visiting them.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

I really like Oakencroft - good wine and a comfortable setting to sit back and a drink a glass in front of their pond. Barboursville is close and worth a trip. Virginia is becoming known for its Cabernet Franc, so be sure to give them a try wherever you go. White Hall has an award winning Gewurztraminer that I like to take home. Jefferson Vineyards also has some very nice reds, including a Cabernet Frac, but also a very good Viognier. One I haven't been to is the Kluge Estate Vineyard, but I've heard good things about it and am looking forward to a trip out there myself this spring. I haven’t been too happy with Prince Michel as of late. If I had to narrow down my choices of vineyards to visit, I would cut them off the list first.

I really enjoy heading out to the vineyards in VA. While the wine isn't stellar (usually) by any means, I've always had a good time just driving through the countryside and dropping by for tastings and checking out the local color. It's always an adventure.

This site lists all the vineyards by region. Here is the Central region with Charlottesville:

Virginia Wines

One of my favorites, and not far from Syria if I recall correctly, is:

Christensen Ridge

The Cab Franc and Viognier were both well made.

Another would be:

Veritas

Even if the wine wasn't good, and it IS good, the setting is beautiful and worth a stop to take in the scenery. Again, well made Viognier including a late harvest version. Their Merlot was surprisingly good too.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I second the recommendation for Oakencroft. Excellent quality over several varietals, and quality tasting staff. I also second avoiding Prince Michel. They're tasting room is unimpressive and impersonal, much like their wine.

My favorite Virginia winery is not near Charlottesville, though. Try Linden near Front Royal and definitely pay the fee for the cellar tasting. You'll get the best hands-on example of the role of terroir in winemaking. And Jim Law, the winemaker/owner is a pleasure.

Edited by syzygy8 (log)

I second the recommendation for Oakencroft. Excellent quality over several varietals, and quality tasting staff. I also second avoiding Prince Michel. They're tasting room is unimpressive and impersonal, much like their wine.

My favorite Virginia winery is not near Charlottesville, though. Try Linden near Front Royal and definitely pay the fee for the cellar tasting. You'll get the best hands-on example of the role of terroir in winemaking. And Jim Law, the winemaker/owner is a pleasure.

Linden is pretty tasty. Plus if you're over in that direction you can stop in Flint Hill and go to the Griffin Tavern for a Boddington's and a Ploughman's Lunch.

I third the Prince Michel thumbs down.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I appreciate the suggestions and, since we are not going until August, hope more will come. Oakencroft sounds like a definite, and Front Royal is also a good idea since we will be hanging around Skyline Drive looking for a waterfall that flows in August. The Griffin Tavern looks great (as is, I recall, Court Square Tavern in Charlottesville). Sorry the consensus is negative on Prince Michel, as it is close to Graves Mountain where we are staying, but I’ve had a couple of their reds and know there is better in the area (including Barboursville, which is also a good idea). Since we will mostly be daytripping in an area from Charlottesville to DC, any other food suggestions (we will have 11 and 6 year olds in tow, but they have learned that there will be no chains) are appreciated. Does anyone know if Crozet Pizza survives? rcarter, the link you provided is quite impressive, although unlike your friend I am more prone to drinking the wine as opposed to the swish and spit method.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

A colleague and I just visited both Horton and Barboursville a couple of months ago. I also enjoy the Horton wines and you can taste all 38 of their wines for free . . . ! Definitely try their Dionysus. I'm not as big of a fan of the Barboursville wines except for their Phylleo (dessert wine) which I think is just yummy. The restaurant at Barboursville, Palladio, was a fabulous experience. It's a prix fixe menu with a minimum of two courses. For lunch two courses without wine was $25, with wine I believe was $35. Either way we spent $50 each after taxes and gratuity and it was well worth it. You might want to check on their hours though as I don't believe they're open on weekdays.

Other favorite VA wineries: Pearmund (Linden), Piedmont (Middleburg), and Farfelu (Rappahannock).

Don't forget 4&20 Blackbirds in Flint Hill if you're in that area. They're open for dinner and Sunday brunch and are another one of my favorite places. There's also The Rail Stop in The Plains. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any Charlottesville restaurants.

Oh - and for the waterfall - try the White Oak Canyon trail on Skyline Drive. The maps they hand out on the drive give you directions to reach the trail from the bottom of the mountain which I believe is an easier hike (because you hike up and then just walk down the mountain at the end of your day). There are seven waterfalls on the full hike (I believe close to 9 miles) - the most impressive of course being at the top of the mountain/Skyline Drive side. The ones on the way up the mountain are fun (the first doubles as a waterslide, the second a shower, and the fourth has a deep swim hole with a rope swing). Hope this helps! :)

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Since we will mostly be daytripping in an area from Charlottesville to DC, any other food suggestions (we will have 11 and 6 year olds in tow, but they have learned that there will be no chains) are appreciated.

Maf,

I drive DC to Charlottesville (and then on to Lynchburg) about once a month. 29 is indeed a cultural wasteland, with some notable exceptions.

Roughly East to West --

The Pig 'n Steak (can't recall the name of the town) on the North side of 29 there's a stoplight with a McD's in an Exxon. There's lots of signs. Road house BBQ.

Thyme - outside Madison. Decent nouvelle euro

Blue Ridge Cafe - pretty average sandwich place/bar about 30 minutes East of Charlottesville on 29. Interesting in that they serve lots of VA wines by the glass.

Bavarian Chef - Pretty darn good black forest cuisine about 15 minutes east of Ch'ville on 29. Great german beer.

If you find yourself on Rte 15 just south of I66 there's a nice little local steak house called Anne and Bob's (that's not right - I just remember that it's the first names of the couple that own it. Haven't been there in a while)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I trained in C'Ville, but it has been awhile. The winery I remember most affectionately was Monticello Vineyards, although I do not know if it still exists as such.

Favorite restaurants in that area (we're talking 14 years since I lived there) were The Silver Thatch Inn, Eastern Standard and Guadalajara for good, inexpensive Mexican food. Unfortunately, I don't know if any of them still exist or if they do if they are still any good. I would be curious to know if anyone has info/opinions on any of these establishments.

To put it in perspective Dave Matthews was still playing in Charlottesville bars when I was there.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

sextons, I believe there is a trail to White Oak Canyon from the Syria side, as well. We’ll definitely check that out. If it’s the one I remember, it’s at least a half day affair, which may be a bit long as I usually end up carrying the younger girl. I also didn’t know about the restaurant at Barboursville; thanks for the tip.

JPW, good food advice. I’ve been to the Bavarian Chef a few times, albeit 20 years ago. For some reason I thought it was gone. I was also told by a friend that the Pig-N-Steak (which he said was in Madison) was “my kind of place,” although I’m never sure how to take that.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

Skip Castro was playing when I was there (maybe still is). I remember Eastern Standard as being one of the first good restaurants on the Mall, but I could seldom afford to eat there (you could get lunch at the White Spot for $1.99). Best meal I ever had in Charlottesville was at the C&O; don't know if it's still there.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

All of the above are good tips. I enjoy the VA countryside and the fun of the winetasting, even if the wine is mostly less than spectacular. I've never been to the Griffin Tavern since it opened (in the last year or so?), but one of the very best meals we've ever had was at the Flint Hill Public House.

Edited by bbq4meanytime (log)

Skip Castro was playing when I was there (maybe still is). I remember Eastern Standard as being one of the first good restaurants on the Mall, but I could seldom afford to eat there (you could get lunch at the White Spot for $1.99). Best meal I ever had in Charlottesville was at the C&O; don't know if it's still there.

Eastern Standard also had a little bistro on the ground level that was much more affordable. While it wasn't as fancy and didn't have as extensive a menu, it still had great food.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Bavarian Chef - Pretty darn good black forest cuisine about 15 minutes east of Ch'ville on 29. Great german beer.

I've always wanted to try that place... every time I drive by, I always think..."spaetzle."

I love spaetzle..

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

download the map for the area and go to as many as possible! pearmund is closest to the d.c. area and one of the best so i'd make this a first stop. veritas is my fav in the charlottesville area. don't expect a drop of anything if you get to barboursville at 1655- they adhere to the abc laws like crazy. i think that the smaller vineyards are nicer- a personal touch, wine after closing time, and some cool stories about virginia wine.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Favorite restaurants in that area (we're talking 14 years since I lived there) were The Silver Thatch Inn, Eastern Standard and Guadalajara for good, inexpensive Mexican food. Unfortunately, I don't know if any of them still exist or if they do if they are still any good.

Silver Thatch and Guadalajara were around in 1998 when I was a graduate student at the university. Reputations were good, but I never actually ate in either place. In terms of good dining out in C'ville at the time, it was basically Metropolitain or C&O. C&O was, in my opinion, solid but overrated and I never got the opportunity to eat at Metropolitain. The rest of the city -- at least at the time anyhow -- was largely student fare and fern bars, with some exceptions.

(I was but a poor grad student, but I was fortunate to work on a well-endowed grant, so I did get so eat out.)

Anyhow, if you're going to be in C'ville, I'd recommend Barboursville and Jefferson as the two vineyards to visit. Barboursville is, bar none, my favorite Virginia winery. Prince Michel is vile and wrong. Seriously, it's bad wine.

Maf, Crozet Pizza survives AFAIK. There was a location in Barracks Road Shopping Center in 98.

Anyhow, if you're going to be in C'ville, I'd recommend Barboursville and Jefferson as the two vineyards to visit.  Barboursville is, bar none, my favorite Virginia winery.  Prince Michel is vile and wrong.  Seriously, it's bad wine.

I'll third or fourth (or whatever) the Barboursville recommendation. The Cab Franc is superb, and I don't recall tasting a wine there that I didn't like. I even liked the Chardonnay, and I am not a Chardonnay fan.

There will be another major attraction if either you or your SO is a history or architecture buff. The expanded mansion at Barboursville - now a ruin - was designed for Governor Barbour by Jefferson, with the typical octagonal structure, dome in the center, etc., and the ruins are a joy to behold. They also have the most astounding groves of English boxwood that date from colonial times. The plants have gone purposely unpruned and unshaped, and mostly allowed to do as they will, for at least a century, and many of the groves are over 10' tall!! Highly recommended.

Unfortunately, I also share the opinion of others in this thread re Prince Michel. Avoid, because it's a waste of time...and taste. But Barboursville is a must see.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

If you haven't been, Monticello is a must. To me it is one of the most fascinating historical sites in the country. It is particularly interesting for an enthusiast of food and wine because both played very important roles in Mr. Jefferson's life.

Twitter - @docsconz