• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Premium Bag in the Box Wine

Craig Camp

[quote

To the larger point, I've never had wine-in-a-box that wasn't borderline undrinkable.  It would be great if someone boxed up something above their foulest swill and sold it-- the equivalent of a good cafe wine -- so that I could drink a decent weeknight plonk during dinner for a couple of bucks, rather than spending three times that just to get something that doesn't wreck the meal.

I f you can find it in your market Jean Marc Brocard has a chablis(marked as chardonnay) called "Jurassic". It is in a 3 liter box and sells for $39 here in Nashville. Not the greatest wine i've ever tasted but great to keep in the fridge for a quick glass

In the interest of science, and as a service to my fellow eGulls, we just finished off a box o' Banrock Station 2002 Shiraz. Acceptable at the $7-8 tag the bottle usually commands, at the equivalent of $4, it's a very good value.

I don't have a terrific wine palate, but neither of us could detect any off-taste from plastic, nor did we note any change in the flavor from the time we opened it to the time we sucked it dry -- about a week, I think. (Well, there was one day it had a sour note to it, but I really need to learn not to drink wine immediately after brushing my teeth.)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

This week, I finished off the last 3 ounces of the Black Box Chardonnay that had been in my fridge for about three months. The wine had virtually not changed, no oxidation, no flaws.

Is it a superb Chardonnay? no; Is it a value at roughly $6.75 (SRP) per 750ml bottle? yes IMHO; Does it offer an alternative to a normal bottle? yes; Does it make it easier for the casual consumer to imbibe and not waste a half bottle that could become oxidized? yes.

Being in the wine business in the USA, my goal is to get as many people enjoying the beverage that I have loved for over 30 years. I want more consumers to appreciate the beauty of wine, food and family/friends sitting around a table. If it takes a good quality bag in the box or screw cap wine to achieve this, then I am all for it.

Thanks for letting me state my opinions.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ward (log)
I have never met a miserly wine lover