• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What rums have you got on the go at the moment

ctgm

If you do not have too many bottles open it would be interesting to know which rums you have open and on the go at the moment:

I've got open:

Mount Gay Eclipse

Mount Gay Extra Old

Cockspur

Cockspur VSOR

Cruzan Single Barrel

Angostura 1919

And some independent bottlings (whose names I would prefer not to divulge!)

26yo Jamaican

19yo Enmore

28yo Port Morant

As I can hardly wait after having puchased a new bottle my collection of open bottles is quite impressive: :rolleyes:

Appleton Estate 21 J

Bacardi Facundo

Bacardi 8 años Reserva Superior

Barbancourt Reserve du Domaine 15 J

Barceló Imperial

Bermudez Aniversario

Botran Solera 1893

Brugal Siglo de Oro

Cacique Antiguo Milenium

El Dorado Special Reserve 15J

El Dorado Special Reserve 21J

El Dorado Special Reserve 25 J Millennium

English Harbour X.O.

Havana Carribean Rum Aniversario añejo 12 años

Havana Club Añejo 7 años

Havana Club Gran Reserva 15 J

J.M. Rhum Vieux 1992

Matusalem Añejo 15 años (Cuba)

Matusalem Gran Reserva

Mount Gay Extra Old

Nation Single Domain Guyana

Pampero Aniversario

Plantation Venezuela 1992 Vintage Old Reserve

Pyrat Cask 23

Santa Teresa 1796 Antiguo de Solera

Santiago de Cuba Añejo

Santiago de Cuba Extra Añejo

Sea Wynde

Varadero Añejo 15 años Gran Reserva

Zacapa Centenario

Zacapa Centenario X.O.

:shock::shock::shock:

And there are still some bottles left that I did't open yet... :smile:

Variety makes life mor interesting, doesn't it? :cool:

Greetings from Luxembourg

Markus

Not bad Marcus, not bad. I think that I might jump on Easyjet/RyanAir and bang down your door!!

I know where you are coming from abou topening a bottle as soon as you get it through the door. Unfortuantely (a) my collection is much smaller and (b) the wife would not be so happy with so many bottles open and lying around the place.

I have 20 or 30 bottles of whisky open and I never ever seem to finish a bottle. Do you find the same thing with yr rums?

Edited by ctgm (log)

Havana Club Anejo Reserva

Havana Club 7 year

Plantation Trinidad 1991

Pyrat XO

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

ctgm - I find I end up with more and more open at any one time as I like to have the variety of any choice on a given night. Right now I have the following (although some haven't been touched in a while!!):

Appleton estate 12 and 250 anniversary

Arundel Cane Rum

Barbancourt White, 5 star

Botran Anejo

Brinley Gold

Bundaberg Black

Cadenheads Green Label

Cruzan Single Barrel

Diplomatico reserve

El Dorado 15

Flor de Cana 7yr

Foxy's firewater :wacko:

Gosling overproof

Havana Club 7yr

Inner Circle Green

Mount Gay Sugar Cane, Extra Old

Pampero Anniversario

Prichards

Pyrat XO

Ron del Barrilito 3 star

Saint James hors d'age

Santa Teresa 1796

Tortuga 12

Zacapa Centenario

Zaya 12

As far as I can remember:

Cockspur VSOR

Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 Solera

Havana Club Anejo Reserva

Kaniche Guadeloupe

Clement's Rhum Vieux

and some kitchen rums for baking and cooking, of course (made a wonderful rum'ndate cake for Christmas... actually, four of them with slightly different rums...)

Bundaberg Black

Foxy's firewater :wacko:

Saint James hors d'age

Dwarnier,

Another decent collection!! I might be banging on your door!

Of the list 3 stand out:

(1) Bundy Black - why oh why did you go for this?

(2) Foxy's - what in God's name is this?

(3) St. J Hors - what's this like as I almost grabbed a bottle earlier this week?

Hi ctgm

Bundy Black - well, as I couldn't find any Bundy here in New York I figured I may as well try to collect other rums that were unavailable here.

Foxy's - a friend brought this back from BVI. Made by Caroni in Trinidad I think. The name is amusing, and I'm told it's the source of many tall tales, although it's actually not that bad

Hor's d'age - I enjoy this rum. I find it quite different to others in my collection, in that it has more whisky-like characteristics. It's rich and nutty/woody. I'd like to try other rums from Martinique, particularly Clement, De Paz, La Favorite (especially "cuvee special de la flibuste"...), Duquesne - anyone tried them or know where I can get them in New York??

Hi ctgm

Bundy Black - well, as I couldn't find any Bundy here in New York I figured I may as well try to collect other rums that were unavailable here.

Foxy's - a friend brought this back from BVI. Made by Caroni in Trinidad I think. The name is amusing, and I'm told it's the source of many tall tales, although it's actually not that bad

Hor's d'age - I enjoy this rum. I find it quite different to others in my collection, in that it has more whisky-like characteristics. It's rich and nutty/woody. I'd like to try other rums from Martinique, particularly Clement, De Paz, La Favorite (especially "cuvee special de la flibuste"...), Duquesne - anyone tried them or know where I can get them in New York??

I might be able to get a few for you but wouldn't know how to get them into the US

Open at the moment are....

Flor de Cana 7 yo

Havana Club 3 yo

Havana Club 7 yo

Mount Gay Extra Old

Barbancourt 8 yo

Barbancourt 15 yo

Brugal Anejo (ack!)

Wray and Nephew Overproof (ack! ack!)

and from Cadenhead's Green Label series at 46%....

Cuban 5 yo

Demerara 10 yo

Demerara 25 yo

Jamaican 12 yo

and from Cadenhead's Dated Distillation series at cask strength....

Jamaican CRV Long Pond Estate 13 yo (70.4%)

Barbados BRS Rockley 16 yo (67.7%)

Guadeloupe Gardel Rhum Agricole 20 yo (57.8%)

Guyanan PDW 28 yo (63.2%)

Guyanan PM 36 yo (69.3%)

So much rum, only one liver....*sigh*

Cheers,

Jay

Where there's a still, there's a way.

There seem some fairly good collections out there. About time I start doing mine properly.

Whilst lying in the bath this evening I forgot about a bottle (or rather half bottle) that I had squirreled away. It is a cask sample prior to bottling and the label says "Valdespino - Old Rum". For those who might not know Valdespino is a sherry producer. My old bosses were one of their agents and they did a bottling but all I know about the rum is that it spent about 40 years in sherry cask in Spain. It is without doubt the best rum that I have ever had. The sherry really adds a sweetness to it and gives real length and complexity. The nose is 60:40 sherry:rum. I am fairly sure that it is cask strength somewhere in the low 40%. I am sure purists would say that there is too much sherry but I just dig the flavours and wood that has been picked up.

Glad that I started this thread as I might have "forgotten" this bottle :rolleyes::biggrin:

Edited by ctgm (log)

I recently got a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal, from Bermuda. My wife spent several of her high school years there, and has recounted tales of drinking "Dark & Stormy's", made from Goslings and ginger beer.

So we got a bottle, and some ginger beer, to have ourselves a Dark & Stormy party. "I don't remember them being this sweet", she says. (Way too sweet for my taste). So I tell her, "Not surprising. Last time you had one of these, you were under age".

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I mind as well throw my hat into this one too

here is what I have been drinking lately

Bottles on the works

Aside from that I also have my Grandmother's Home Made Rum (we call it Ca~na -- and that is an N with a Tilde over it). And Bacardi A~nejo, and Bacardi 1873, and Ron Palo Viejo Gold, and my aunt's ca~na too!

Gato

If it seems like I am partial to Bacardi - well I am not really too partial to it but its hard to turn it down when you get it for free you know (Uncle works for Bacardi in Puerto Rico) - and Bacardi 8 is a NICE every day drink.

I recently got a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal, from Bermuda. My wife spent several of her high school years there, and has recounted tales of drinking "Dark & Stormy's", made from Goslings and ginger beer.

So we got a bottle, and some ginger beer, to have ourselves a Dark & Stormy party. "I don't remember them being this sweet", she says. (Way too sweet for my taste). So I tell her, "Not surprising. Last time you had one of these, you were under age".

Goslings goes particularly well with root beer, actually.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sounds good, and we're both root beer fans. :smile:

On my way to the corner store right now for some...

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Back from the store now, decided to get some Dr Pepper as well as Root Beer for a side-side taste test with the Gosling's.

Observations:

with Root Beer - smooth, easy to drink; a slight burnt-caramel taste that isn't as noticeable with bigger gulps. Don't know if that's from the rum or from the root beer.

with Dr Pepper - dodn't like this combination; got an odd floral, "bounce-softener sheet" essence. The rest of this one is going down the drain.

• 2 months later...

in order of purchase- and I have to taste all I get

1 Meyer's

2 Pampero Aniversario

3 Capn Morgan Original Spiced

4 Gosling Black Seal

5 Barbancourt 3 Star

6 Cruzan Pinapple

7 Old Mill Gold Rum

8 Cruzan Single Barrel

9 Whaler's Rare Dark

10 Lemon Hart 151