• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pesce

morela

I’m starting this thread on Pesce because I couldn't find an existing one, and b/c people should talk more about this place.

Pesce is a great value. For the money you dish out, you can get really have a meal that will stand alone. The wine they offer is really inexpensive and clearly a list put together with some thought. Looking for comfort close to Metro? A small friendly staff that will remember you? Go to Pesce.

Bobby Beard, only twenty-something, is the spirited young man running this show. I know he has done some time in both Olives' and Citronelle's kitchens...and that others of you knew his work there.

Here’s what I know from Pesce:

He cooks his fish damn well, he makes great sauces, and the menu is revolving constantly.

I like menu-changing because it forces me to taste something new...

In the last month or two, I've been a few times and have had great dinners.

I'll tell you about the most recent visit:

To start I had a this smoked trout and arugula salad with beets, goat cheese, roasted pumpkins seeds, and I wish I could tell you the kind of vinaigrette. The trout was outstanding, really fresh and clean-tasting, and there was a fair amount of it.

Beets and goat cheese, which I always wonder if I'll get bored of, proved to be a nice match with the zest of greens and smokiness of the meat. Good stuff, and it was like a $7 salad. Think of a salad that you get for twice as much at so many of those little Dupont places. Ick!

Or the size of the side item you'd get somewhere more upscale. Lots of trout, memorable salad, $7. Then I had these amazing prawns (three big guys), over a sauce of leeks and chanterelles with a little bit foie gras. I wasn't sure how the flavors would work; how the foie would hold up, but it was amazing. Again, totally impressed with what was on my plate, the texture of the prawns, the thoughtful combination of ingredients. This one, with a good amount of seared foie, $13! How much for that disappointing pasta salad from Fresh Fields (sorry Whole Foods, I’ll still shop)? Let's say $12.99, and you probably eat it out of plastic. The point is, the cooking is great, the comfort level high and the prices are better than right (more for your money).

Finally, an entree that I shared (you’re not still hungry after two firsts) . It was a grilled butterfish with a port sauce and pureed parsnips, lentils and bacon. The fish was rich and a little sweet, but cooked beautifully. The puree with the bacon was total comfort food, but plated without slouch. It may never be offered the same on the menu, but track it down if you can.

As, for service, I can't be the best reporter on that because I always sit at the bar and it's not a normal bar. You can't smoke in there, there's sometimes a bartender, and there are usually just three people working the front of house. I have a fine experience at the bar, but Pesce's a place that I feel is better designed for table dining.

I leave with a smile (and a happy little wallet).

So...

If you've never been, you should try it. If it has been a while, go to see if you like Bobby.

How easy it is to write a lot when it's true. Sorry.

Here: Pesce. Dupont Circle 2016 P Street NW (20th Street NW)

Is Bobby a new chef there, because I went to Pesce last summer with my parents and was seriously underwelmed. The beet and goat cheese salad had virtually no beet or goat cheese, my fish was seriously over cooked and dry and the fish stew that my dad had was very dull. My mom had a whole roasted snapper which was fine but nothing special

The only high notes were the bread and the mussels in a curry thai sauce which, I will give them, was amazing.

It was packed on a Saturday night and over Memorial Day weekend, so maybe things were off but nothing left an impression for me to return.

Long nice posts are the best kind. Rants are always more effective when they're short.

I love Pesce and had a wonderful lunch there just before Christmas. Unless I'm in the mood to hanf at the bar, I frankly prefer both the cooking and the atmosphere to the much-hyped Jonny's Half Shell three doors down.

Why wait in line and pay all that for those small portions (anddubious service)? Get thee to Pesce.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I've learned my lesson. No more long nice posts from me. I Promise!

Keep posting. Really.

Jenny's right. Keep posting. Your discriptions were wonderful.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 5 months later...

We hit this for lunch today. I had the halibut with pea sauce and my firend had the butterfish (pacific fish very similar in taste and texture to halibut). Nice presentation, the fish was perfectly cooked.

We split the smoked trout arugula salad (enough for 2 to split for lunch). Very tasty citus vinegarette.

I wouldn't say it was an inexpensive lunch ($60 for 2, incl tip), but at least it was worth it in the end. Food was fresher and better prepared than Johnny's Half Shell, though.

In case anyone cares, the affable Bobby Beard has left Pesce and has taken over the helm at New Heights.

Tom Meyer, sous chef at Pesce for several years, has become the head chef, and I've heard he is doing some fine work there.

Regine Palladin, the owner of Pesce, is a remarkable woman, and has done a fine job maintaining the standards of this often overlooked restaurant, perhaps the most consistently good seafood restaurant in the area.

Cheers,

Rocks.

We hit this for lunch today.  I had the halibut with pea sauce and my firend had the butterfish (pacific fish very similar in taste and texture to halibut).  Nice presentation, the fish was perfectly cooked.

Either I have a juvenile sense of humor (very possible) or I think it's really brave of the chef to have the phrase "pea sauce" on a menu.

:raz:

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

We hit this for lunch today.  I had the halibut with pea sauce and my firend had the butterfish (pacific fish very similar in taste and texture to halibut).  Nice presentation, the fish was perfectly cooked.

Either I have a juvenile sense of humor (very possible) or I think it's really brave of the chef to have the phrase "pea sauce" on a menu.

:raz:

tee hee :laugh:

Your worse than me :laugh:

I should also add that service was spot on (but lunch wasn't very busy either).

• 2 months later...
I've learned my lesson.  No more long nice posts from me.  I Promise!

Morela,

Belated thanks for your post on Pesce. After reading your review about a month ago, it provided further motivation to finally try the restaurant. I can't believe it took me this long to sample the place, given that I'm a serious seafood adict.

I'm happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I too dined at the bar. It was fairly early on a Thursday evening, the restaurant was quiet, with only a couple of tables occupied, so I received more attention than I would normally expect (though not intrusive). Had the pleasure of meeting Madame Palladin; it was clear from the moment I sat down at the bar who was the boss -- an impressive person.

The food was excellent. Started with tuna tartare, which had been formed with a 2-inch round mold ring and topped with olive tapenade, the plate decorated with a sauce that had streaks of wasabi mayo and balsamic vinegar in it -- pretty and wonderfully flavorfull. Main was rockfish, served with smashed potatos and a bean salad. The fish was cooked perfectly -- a nice thick fillet that was unbelievably moist. Thought the accompanying safron/lemon sauce was very nice, even though I'm not a huge saffron fan.

So thanks, again, Morela. I don't know who complained about your long post, but I thought it was wonderful to read and now appreciate it even more that I've tried Pesce. I will be going back soon and I look forward to reading more from you.

So thanks, again, Morela. I don't know who complained about your long post, but I thought it was wonderful to read and now appreciate it even more that I've tried Pesce. I will be going back soon and I look forward to reading more from you.

I don't think she meant someone complained. Instead, she took the time to post a long, thoughtful post...and no one responded. I've been there. :rolleyes:

I don't think she meant someone complained. Instead, she took the time to post a long, thoughtful post...and no one responded. I've been there. :rolleyes:

hear me now,

To be pacific, the pooter was on me nerves and me crew told me dat I be doin' PR for bobbi, when for real, I be tellin' da truth. They aggro me. innit a bit thick?

Booyakasha - Professor G indahouse aiii

fanks for lookin' afta me.

:laugh::laugh:

Me thinks you are most creative. A true original.

By the way, have any of you paid attention to the Google-served ads? Just now, there of the four were babka-themed (including one for babkaman.com).

somfin else to fink 'bout Google...

I be down wiv a little IPO in da house. Why not it be OPP?

Me is heading westside now to be ambient and look at da telly.

If me is on Bobby Parker site, why no egullet?

http://fora.erobertparker.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=3;t=001875;p=0

yo, yo, yo. keep it real.