• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cheese caves

twodogs

looking to improve storage facilities for our various cheeses and would like any and all imformation on cheese storage and the ways to make a small cheese cave.

cheers

p.s. should there be a forum for cheese itself, its a vast world out there

Edited by twodogs (log)

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

the ways to make a small cheese cave. 

Oh, you're on the way to become an 'affinateur'!

Unfortunately, I have no idea about cheese storage, what is always cheese maturing at the same time.

p.s. should there be a forum for cheese itself, its a vast world out there

And an utmost complex and fascinating world. I advocate your proposition.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Is this for home use or for a commercial facility? What sorts of cheeses will you be storing? For home use a small refrigerator set to an appropriate temperature (probably around 50 degrees though it'll depend on the cheese(s) to be stored) with a way to control the humidity (pan of water in the bottom or something more complex). This is something I've been podering as well. Additionally, depending on what sorts of cheese you're storing and how they will be wrapped you may need to take precautions against molds and bacteria from the rinds contaminating other cheeses. After all, while blue mold is great in Roqueforte you don't want it spreading to your fine aged gouda or the like.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell