• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asturian Restaurants & Food Products

parisse

Thank you very much replies Eric and Tonalin.

Unfortunately I had to cancel my trip, but will keep all the info for a further visit, perhaps begining of next year.

El Molín de la Pedrera and Los Arcos sound just like what I am looking for...

Too bad I won´t see the Parador de Cangas, had such a good offer for this 5 star place... :sad:

Paco

• 2 years later...

Has anyone eaten anywhere in this area recently?

I see that El Corral del Indianu and Casa Marcial in Arriondas appear to be the top resturants in the area but is this still the case?

I would also be very up for finding out about any (hopefully) Rafas style more rustic establishments serving local seafood if at all possible.......?

Any reccomendations very welcome, either up or downscale

Thanks

Casa Marcial is the best restaurant in the area - better than El Corral del Indianu these days, although El Corral retains part of its former glory. La Huertona in Ribadesella may be the second-best place in eastern Asturias nowadays. A terrific combination of tradition and modern cuisine, of seafood and inland fare (best roast lamb in Asturias, fine fabada). For simple fish dishes in a rustic setting, I'd place La Parrilla in Ribadesella in first place. I've heard good things (in a more modern vein) about a small place called La Corriquera in Posadas outside Llanes. And, if you cross the boundary into Cantabria (it's just 15 miles east of Llanes) to visit the pretty towns of San Vicente de la Barquera, Comillas and Santillana del Mar, the simple fish dishes at Hotel Joseín on the Comillas beach are of the utmost freshness. There, I've had the best monkfish steak (simply dipped in egg and fried) I've ever tasted.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Thanks a lot Victor. This information is priceless! Naturally I will report back.

Any more comments from anyone????

Please do not take a taxi to go from Llanes to La Corriquera or it will cost you a couple hundred euros. That's the problem of using a guide to give advice, that you do not know the difference between "Posada de Llanes" and "Posada de Llanera".

Quite close to Llanes you will find El Molín de Mingo, a real treat if you are in the mood for an outstanding "arroz con pitu de caleya" (rice with free range chicken) or some "tortos with emberzao". Good "cabrito" also. There is a conexion with Casa Marcial that you will probably find in the "crema de gamoneu" that you will be served as a huge amouse bouche. I'll let you discover the rest!!!

http://www.gastroastur.net/articulo.php?id=21 (spanish)

El Molin de Mingo is not up to the standards of Casa Marcial or El Corral del Indianu, but is a great place for traditional food at a lovely place. But hidden.

You'll find some driving directions from Llanes to Peruyes here, but then you will have to follow the rustic traffic signs along the road (for another 5 km or more).

As VSerna suggests, La Parrilla, in Ribadesella, is a truly great place for grilled fish in a tiny tavern whose decoration has not changed in the last 20 years and if you can overcome that fact and you get a reservation you may have a great "pixin" (asturian for monkfish).

Driving directions from Llanes to La Parrilla in Ribadesella.

Have a great time in this small land of Asturias!!!

p.

That's the problem of using a guide to give advice

Not a guide - hearsay, as I honestly wrote here! As a matter of fact, it was in one of the meetings of the Spanish Academy of Gastronomy where we rate the restaurants in one of Spain's restaurant guides that I heard some laudatory comments on La Corriquera. When I looked it up in that same guide, there it was located - six miles from Llanes! They have evidently confused one Posada with the other.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

• 7 months later...

We are eager to learn what feedback eGulleteers have most recently experienced when dining in Asturia?

Monday leaves few choices. We haven't dined at Gallery Art and Food. Any input about this restaurant would be appreciated. One publication indicated that the chef- Alejandro Urrutia--was the Spanish entry in the Bocuse d'Or!

We have been to Casa Marcial, El Corral del Indianu in Arriondas and L' Alenza in Caces. We liked all of them. We would most likely return to Casa Marcial!

Any recent dining reports in this area is welcome. Hope to hear from you, Judith Gebhart

I'd skip Gallery Art and Food and go to Casa Gerardo in Prendes, near Gijón.

Koldo Miranda comes highly recomended from very reliable friends

In a more traditional way Tataguyo in Avilés ia a nice choice, as well as El Molín de Mingo, in a hiden village near Arrriondas where Nacho Manzano's girlfriend prepares a great hearty dishes.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

I'd skip Gallery Art and Food and go to Casa Gerardo in Prendes, near Gijón.

Koldo Miranda comes highly recomended from very reliable friends

In a more traditional way Tataguyo in Avilés ia a nice choice, as well as El Molín de Mingo, in a hiden village near Arrriondas where Nacho Manzano's girlfriend prepares a great hearty dishes.

Thanks for the enlightened response. Do you know the name of the hidden village? Very very helpful. Judith Gebhart

El Molín de Mingo is at Peruyes, outside Cangas de Onís. Phone is 985 922 263.

But I'd join Rogelio in recommending Casa Gerardo at Prendes. To me, it remains the best restaurant in Asturias by quite a sizable margin.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino