• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping - Equipment and Food Deals

slkinsey

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed, at Fairway on Broadway, that they're selling OU-kosher bison frankfurters by Abeles & Heymann, the venerable kosher meat-products company in the Bronx. They're not exactly cheap -- $6.99 a pound -- but they're quite tasty. A bit underseasoned, and of course no natural casing, but as good or better than most kosher beef franks. A good demonstration of the possibilities for bison.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As with most hot dogs, none. "Skinless" (aka no casing) is the norm these days. But with kosher hot dogs in particuler, natural casings aren't an option because they're made from non-kosher parts of the animal. There's a hard-to-find Hebrew National frankfurter with a casing that's made from some sort of vegetable starch, but I've only ever seen it in delis and specialty butchers.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A bit late perhaps, but better late than never:

This white is a peerless partner with baked ham awash in an apricot-and-honey glaze.

Bargain Wines (Howard G. Goldberg) (from the New York Times DIGEST update for the weekend of 2 April to 4 April 2004. You may have to scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Future weekend DIGESTS will cross-link to this thread.

Soba

• 2 weeks later...

Bloomingdale's has a sale for Calphalon Commercial Non-stick April 23rd and 24th - 30% off sets, open stock and Best values.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

Roig Ollé, a bodega (winery) in Penedès, the Catalonian wine region, takes xarel-lo, a white Spanish grape crucial to blended cava, or sparkling wine, and transforms it into a delicious still wine.

Wine Under $20 (Howard G. Goldberg) (from the NYTimes DIGEST update for the weekend of 23 April to 25 April 2004. Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

Found a citrus fruit marketed as a "sweet lime" at the Garden of Eden on 14th street. Never seen such a thing before. Heady very aromatic and syrupy sweet. Yellow on the outside and built like juice oranges, little pith and lots of juice.

They also have key limes that taste remarkably like yuzu at less than a tenth the price.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Red Newt White, a nonvintage fruit cocktail of Vidal Blanc and Cayuga White grapes, is a perennial best-seller at Red Newt Cellars, on Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region.

Bargain Wines (Howard G. Goldberg) (from the NYTimes DIGEST update for the weekend of 30 April to 2 May 2004. Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

Waldy Malouf at Broadway Panhandler

Saturday, May 22, 2004

3:00PM – 4:00PM

He will demonstrate recipes from his latest cookbook, High Heat: Grilling and Roasting Year-Round with Master Chef Waldy Malouf. Tastings and book signing to follow demonstration. Admission is free.

Broadway Panhandler

477 Broome Street (@ Wooster)

New York, NY 10013

212-966-3434

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone is looking for a copy of Bo Friberg's Professional Pastry Chef, I saw copies for 50% at Morningside Books (formally Papyrus Books on B'way and 114). They had 2 copies.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 1 month later...

Lychees are available for $2.50/lb at several locations on the east side of East Broadway between Catherine and Pike and one is giving a discount of scale so that if you buy 5 lb., you pay $9.99. These aren't the tip-top quality Southern Chinese lychees (I think I may have heard the vendor say these are from Israel), but so far, all the ones I've tried have been at least OK (alright, I finally got one bad one, but that can happen in any bunch), and some are great. It's worth checking out if you're going to be in the area. If you pick them yourself, look for fruits with a reddish color (a little brown is OK) that are not super-squishy to a soft touch (I'm not responsible for what happens if any of you squeeze the fruit hard! :raz: ) Enjoy! I'm gonna eat some more. :laugh::biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 month later...

It's official: the Broadway Panhandler "Harvest Festival in the Yard" (aka the Fall Yard Sale) takes place Saturday October 9, from 11am to 5pm, rain or shine. I was told there will again be special deals on some Le Creuset and on Calphalon nonstick.

Up to 70% Off Specially Selected Items and Best Sellers from Regular Stock

It's official: the Broadway Panhandler "Harvest Festival in the Yard" (aka the Fall Yard Sale) takes place Saturday October 9, from 11am to 5pm, rain or shine.  I was told there will again be special deals on some Le Creuset and on Calphalon nonstick.

Bumping this back on, since it's TOMORROW. See you there!

There's an OXO sample sale at Chelsea Markets today, October 12, and October 13. I think the sign said fifth floor -- but there are flyers up all over in the market with the details. 10am to 5pm.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

There's an OXO sample sale at Chelsea Markets today, October 12, and October 13. I think the sign said fifth floor -- but there are flyers up all over in the market with the details. 10am to 5pm.

Any idea if they have the mandolines?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Just got a card announcing the the dates for the annual Goddard-Riverside Book fair. This year it will be held on Nov. 20 and 21st.

For those who are unfamiliar, they have new books all at 50% off or better. And they always have a good selection of cookbooks at reasonable prices. Best of all, the money goes to charity!!

For more information, look here.

Any idea if they have the mandolines?

No mandolines, but lots of peelers, spatulas, can-openers, kettles, scrubbers, etc. It's all little OXO gadgety stuff.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

• 1 month later...
Just got a card announcing the the dates for the annual Goddard-Riverside Book fair.  This year it will be held on Nov. 20 and 21st.

For those who are unfamiliar, they have new books all at 50% off or better.  And they always have a good selection of cookbooks at reasonable prices.  Best of all, the money goes to charity!!

For more information, look here.

Just a reminder that the book fair is this weekend...looks like a great way to find some holiday gifts!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 months later...

Metro area Costcos are now selling Eli's bread.

The multigrain health loaf and raisin pecan loaf are $2.99 each.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Has anyone else notice the huge drop in prices in seafood lately..  Citerall has sofshell crabs going for 2.99 each, this is down from like 7.99

Maybe crabs, but Copper River Salmon is $25 per pound!