• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping - Equipment and Food Deals

slkinsey

NYC eGulleters! Look here for notices of deals, sales, unusual or rare items and other noteworthy things to buy in the City. From cookware to wine to produce to meat, we'll do what we can to keep you in the know.

--

Today the NY Times tells us of the Rosé de Roscoff. It is a French onion, lightly pink and described as mild with a mellow pungency. The French, aparently, often enjoy them raw. Sounds like it strikes a nice balance between a sweet Vidalia-type and the more assertive bite of a standard red onion.

They are sold loose and bagged at Fairway ($2.99/lb) and boxed at Agata & Valencia ($2.99/lb) as well as Dean & DeLuca ($5.00/lb).

--

Fresh Direct now has Bluefoot and Yellowfoot mushrooms, neither of which they have had before (to my knowledge.) I bought some Bluefoot (never had them before, but thought I would give them a try.)

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

From today's New York Times:

American-made buffalo mozzarella from Star Hill Dairy in Vermont is available at Whole Foods. $6.99 each.

FREE hot chocolate on cold days in the lobby of the Regency Hotel on 61st Street!

Union Square Wines Group (includes Union Square Wines and Spirits, Vintage Grape, Columbus Wines and Spirits and Park East Wines and Spirits) is having a winter wine sale. 22% off 1/19 - 1/24; 21% off 1/26 - 1/31; 20% off 2/2 - 2/7

Sherry Lehman is having a big sale to celebrate their 70th year on Madison Avenue. Many special deals, including an interesting feature: the "unsung heroes of Bordeaux" featuring 12 wines all under $20/bottle.

--

From today's New York Times:

Union Square Wines Group (includes Union Square Wines and Spirits, Vintage Grape, Columbus Wines and Spirits and Park East Wines and Spirits) is having a winter wine sale. 22% off 1/19 - 1/24; 21% off 1/26 - 1/31; 20% off 2/2 - 2/7

Sam,

I appreciate the head's up on the deals. However, as a wine lover who frequents many of the NYC stores, I'll tell you that even with the discounts mentioned, Union Square Wine Shop has some of the most expensive prices in NYC. The sale brings the prices down to close to market prices. It's sad, cuz the store itself it very nice and has a great deal of space.

For wine, Garnet is hard to top for price and Chambers Street is hard to top for service.

This just in from Broadway Panhandler:

~~~

Broadway Panhandler

477 Broome Street

www.broadwaypanhandler.com

Broadway Panhandler, Soho’s premier retailer of professional cooking wares since 1976 is having a sale on select Le Creuset items. Available in an array of colors sure to brighten any winter day, these ovens, bakers and skillets are ideal for preparing cold weather stews, roasts and one-dish meals. From February 11 – 29th, Broadway Panhandler is offering select open stock items from Le Creuset at 35 – 65% off 2004 suggested retail prices. The indispensable French enameled cast iron cookware. Available in 55 easy-to-clean shapes and sizes. Colors Include: Blue, Red, Flame (orange-red), White, Granite, Jade.

3 ½ qt Round Oven Sale Price $89.95 (suggested retail $195.00)

4 ½ qt Round Oven Sale Price $114.95 (suggested retail $235.00)

5 ½ qt Round Oven Sale Price $119.95 (suggested retail $250.00)

2 ½ qt Oval Oven Sale Price $56.95 (suggested retail $165.00)

While Supplies Last. Not all items are available in all colors.

Broadway Panhandler is open Monday through Friday 10:30 AM to 7 PM; Saturday 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM; and Sunday 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM. The store phone number is 212-966-3434.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Canada Customs wasn't very happy with me when I came back from Chicago. :blink: I can just see bringing a flame red cast iron pot back this time. They'll never let me go. :unsure:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Canada Customs wasn't very happy with me when I came back from Chicago. :blink: I can just see bringing a flame red cast iron pot back this time. They'll never let me go. :unsure:

Toss the box and bag. And if they ask, you brought a stew to a friend. :cool:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

$28 madolines at JB Prince!

Seriously. We're not talking about those plastic Asian ones. This is an actual big-ass stainless steel Bron mandoline. Immediately on your left as you walk in the door. Originally $97. Marked down repeatedly. Final price is $35 for the flawless ones and $28 for the scratch-and-dents. There's a little sign up that says they're unloading these because some professionals don't like the placement of the adjustment screw.

36 E. 31st Street (between Park & Madison) 11th Fl.

http://www.jbprince.com/

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Whoa! Buy this, and buy it now before they run out. Buy two and give one to a friend. I have a Matfer mandoline -- which I prefer to Bron's -- and, while I don't use it all the time, it is absolutely indispensable when I need it.

--

Fresh porcini mushrooms at garden of Eden and Whole foods. Not a deal at around $30 a pound but tasty and a special treat nonetheless.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

$28 madolines at JB Prince!

Seriously. We're not talking about those plastic Asian ones. This is an actual big-ass stainless steel Bron mandoline. Immediately on your left as you walk in the door. Originally $97. Marked down repeatedly. Final price is $35 for the flawless ones and $28 for the scratch-and-dents. There's a little sign up that says they're unloading these because some professionals don't like the placement of the adjustment screw.

36 E. 31st Street (between Park & Madison) 11th Fl.

http://www.jbprince.com/

I bought one of these mandolines yesterday. There's still a dozen or so on the shelf. I'm going to try it out this weekend and I'll post if I think the adjustment screw is really a problem for the amateur cook.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

There is an Asian grocery-cum-chotchka-store on Third Avenue between 36th and 37th Streets in Brooklyn -- a block or so from the Costco. They are having a going-out-of-business sale for the next 2 weeks, with discounts on packaged goods and most frozen stuff. The base prices are already better than in Manhattan. And it's only a block from the subway!

Whoa! Buy this, and buy it now before they run out. Buy two and give one to a friend. I have a Mafter mandoline -- which I prefer to Bron's -- and, while I don't use it all the time, it is absolutely indispensable when I need it.

Thanks for the tip, everyone--got one of these today. I'd estimate that 15-20 of these remain.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Whoa!  Buy this, and buy it now before they run out.  Buy two and give one to a friend.  I have a Mafter mandoline -- which I prefer to Bron's -- and, while I don't use it all the time, it is absolutely indispensable when I need it.

Thanks for the tip, everyone--got one of these today. I'd estimate that 15-20 of these remain.

:smile:

Jamie

I'm feeling a trip to JB Prince coming on.

:shock::hmmm:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

It's not exactly in NYC, but sources tell me that there is a big sale going on from 10 'till 2 on Saturday, February 14 at Ole Ole Warehouse. If you have a car, it's definitely worth checking out.

Details and discussion may be found in this thread.

--

From todays NY Times...

Yummy fresh shrimp from Maine are in! 5.99 - 7.99/lb. at Wild Edibles and elsewhere.

Broadway Panhandler (477 Broome at Wooster) is selling Le Creuset at 35% to 65% off the suggested retail price! Through February 29 while supplies last.

--

From today's NY Times:

Wasabi leaves are available at Agata & Valencia, Dean & DeLuca and Whole Foods markets in packages of 6 leaves ($3.50 - $5.00/package). The Times says that "their flavor echoes the cleansing forcefulness of the root, but without the sinus-cleansing fire."

French glacé melon is available at Fairway for $6.99/lb. -- marketed as "dried melon." The Times says is "resembles dried fruit but is fragrant, lush and moist, with a rich concentration of melon flavor." They suggest it as an interesting wintertime pairing with prosciutto.

--

• 3 weeks later...

From today's NY Times:

The Second Avenue Deli is celebrating its 50th anniversary by rolling back to the 1954 prices! On Monday, March 15, from 11:30 AM to 8 Pm, sandwiches will be fifteen to twenty cents and main dish platters will be $1 to $1.25.

--

slkinsey-

Thanks so much for that tip! My friend in NYC would love to take advantage of this offer, but would like more details. Is there a link that you could provide to the NYTimes?

thanks!

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard