• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping - Equipment and Food Deals

slkinsey

There will be a cookbook and "culinary tag sale" at the James Beard House on February 3, 2007.

Sounds interesting.

Do you know if you have to be a James Beard member to go? Thanks!

You do not need to be a member. Members will be admitted a half-hour early, but the general public is welcome to spend their money starting at 10 am.

You do not need to be a member. Members will be admitted a half-hour early, but the general public is welcome to spend their money starting at 10 am.

Thanks for the info Scottie. I think we'll check it out, if we can drag ourselves out of bed in time! : )

• 1 month later...

I am making a trip to the city in late March for a memorial service for a friend who took me to the coolest store the last time I visited him. I want to go back to the store, but cannot remember the name. It was a store that specialized in tableware from defunct restaurants, hotels, diners, etc. Is this ringing any bells? Hope someone can help me! Ta!

Kim

I am making a trip to the city in late March for a memorial service for a friend who took me to the coolest store the last time I visited him.  I want to go back to the store, but cannot remember the name.  It was a store that specialized in tableware from defunct restaurants, hotels, diners, etc.  Is this ringing any bells?  Hope someone can help me!  Ta!

Kim

I am pretty sure the store you're thinking of is Fishs Eddy. One of their stores (their used to be a couple) is located at 19th Street and Broadway, northwest corner of the street. What a wonderful personal memorial to make!

According to the Fishs Eddyweb site, the Broadway@19 St. flagship is the only store remaining. I was there a couple weeks ago, and as emsny notes, nearly all of their products are now vintage-like. I could have sworn that I dropped by a branch about a 10-minute walk from the ferry terminal on Staten Island. That was three years ago, at which point the store was stocked with dinnerware and flatware from defunct and operating airlines, as well as various other businesses.

Edited by MumonA (log)

• 1 year later...

Today at Marshall's (48th st and Northern Blvd. in Queens) I found quite a selection of Kuhn-Ricon Colori knives at $4.99 for small paring, $5.99 medium paring and $12.99 for the chef's and quite a selection of Laguiole steak knives - the ones in the box like that were $14.99 and these with the wood block set for $16.99. They say "made in France" and they look identical, down to the wood stripes on the wood block, and they come with a certificate of authenticity. I've been long looking for some at a reasonable price. $17 is a fantastic bargain.

The ones in the box come in silver, black, wood or diverse colors handles, the ones with the wood block come in silver and black.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

• 3 months later...

Chambers Street Wine is holding a moving sale from Aug. 1 through Aug. 9, offering 20% off of most still wines. Their prices tend to run higher than places like Garnet and Astor for the same product, but they also stock many wines unavailable elsewhere.

From their newsletter:

Faced with an extended period of disruption and the loss of a large amount of our display space due to the installation of an elevator in our building, CSW will be moving to a new Downtown Manhattan location in the near future. To facilitate our move, we are offering all red, white and rosé still wines in our regular inventory at 20% off the retail price. The following restrictions will apply;

Wines listed as non-discountable are not included in this sale, as well as all liquors and sparkling wines/champagnes.

A limited number of rare wines and most pre-arrival wines will discount only 10%.

The remaining wines, the vast majority of our inventory, will discount 20% from our shelf price with no additional case or quantity discount. LIMITED TO CURRENT INVENTORY IN STOCK ONLY.

160 Chambers Street

New York, NY 10007

Phone: 212-227-1434

(Closest subways: 1,2,3 though the A,C and the City Hall stop are manageable as well.)

Web site