• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping - Equipment and Food Deals

slkinsey

Bridge Kitchenware is having a moving sale from 6/1/05 to 5/7/05. 30% of suggested retail. I'm not sure that's such a bargain, though Bridge carries top quality stuff.

Bridge Kitchenware is having a moving sale from 6/1/05 to 5/7/05. 

I take it that's a moving backwards in time sale, right? :wink: Heehee

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

Between Bowery and East Broadway. I don't think the vendors on Division St. (who I believe you're thinking of) sell lychees.

There are also excellent lychees for sale for $4/lb. and $10/3 lb. on the corner of Grand St. and Chrystie and on Canal St.

Michael aka "Pan"

I think there must be a price war going on between Lychee vendors in China town. I was there again this evening and I must have passed a half dozen vendors and they were all charging $9 for three pounds. I felt like I was at a clearance sale. The lychees from the bunch that I bought were all very good, red, sweet.

I wonder where the lychees are grown. . . Do you know?

Edited by mascarpone (log)

• 1 month later...

Found these knives at Century 21 downtown:

gallery_1_295_29407.jpg

Yes, that's right, they are marked down to $1.49

It's a pretty good quality bread knife. I mean, it's not Wusthof, and at 7" it's a tad short, but for $1.49 it could be your bread knife for a couple of decades. Lifetime warranty. Made in Massachusetts as far as I can tell. My mother and I bought 14 of them, but there are still plenty left.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 months later...

Received this email from Broadway Panhandler:

Join us Saturday, October 8th through Monday October 10th, from 11am to 5pm in our yard (as well as inside the store) to kick off the Autumn cooking and entertaining season. With great deals, up to 70% off*, on all of your favorite top brands, this is the time to stock up for the upcoming cool months and holiday season. Save on brands such as All-Clad, Le Creuset, Wusthof, Alessi, Cusinart, Global Knives, Kuhn Rikon, Melitta, Oxo, Peugeot, Salter Scales, and Waring while enjoying live music from Miss Babs and the Kicking Boogie Band (Saturday) and Moontan Collective (Sunday), watching product demonstrations and tasting cheese from the Bedford Cheese Shop (Saturday). Rain or shine. Don't miss it!

Most of the items on sale will not be available on our website due to limited quantities, so come down and see all the great deals.

Broadway Panhandler, 477 Broome St @ Wooster, SoHo, New York

* Offers end 10/10/05. Selected in-stock items only, while supplies last, off mfg. sugg. retail

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

• 3 weeks later...

Jacks World is selling Bittersweet,Cocolat, Salty Spicey Sour Sweet book and many other cookbooks at 4.99... I cant believe it.. Saw it today.. It has to be a limited supply so hurry..110 w. 32nd (btwn 6&7) and 45 w. 45th (btwn 5&6)

Edited by Daniel (log)

Jacks World is selling Bittersweet,Cocolat, Salty Spicey Sour Sweet book and many other cookbooks at 4.99... I cant believe it.. Saw it today..  It has to be a limited supply so hurry..110 w. 32nd (btwn 6&7) and 45 w. 45th (btwn 5&6)

Quick clarification on the above: the 32nd Street location does not have these cookbooks. At the 45th Street Jack's World, the prices seem to be as follows:

- Bittersweet: $9.99

- Hot Sour Salty Sweet: $12.99

- The French Laundry Cookbook: $12.99

- Bouchon: $12.99

- Frank Stitt's Southern Table: $12.99

- Home Baking: $12.99

- Anatomy of a Dish: $9.99

These are amazing deals, and I ended up getting a copy of each of the above.

Just wanted to say that the 32nd Street Jack's World does have the books, upstairs as Daniel said. I bought the FL cookbook a couple of weeks ago for $9.99 (the 45th Street Jack's is more expensive??!?!) and noticed several of the others there as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Just realized that it was November of last year when I hit the Goddard Book Fair. A quick check of their site shows that the Fair is THIS COMING WEEKEND!

Details are here, including a free admission coupon for two that you can download. The hours are Saturday, November 19, 2005 from 10am to 6pm and Sunday, November 20, 2005 from 11am to 6pm.

They really had a large selection of books last year, including a lot of cookbooks. Definitely worth checking out!

• 3 weeks later...

OXO SAMPLE SALE

Wednesday November 30 & Thursday December 1

11am - 4pm

Chelsea Market

75 9th Avenue (between 15th & 16th Streets)

5th Floor - use elevators at front entrance on 9th Avenue

Cash Only

Happy shopping!

• 3 months later...

don't know where else to post this -

Amazon has the Le Creuset Six Piece set for $262 with free shipping..

Lifetime limited warranty, includes:

5-1/2-quart round french oven

10-inch iron handle skillet

8-by-12-inch roaster

2-quart 2-in-1 saucepan with 8-inch omelet cover

Enameled cast iron with triple-layer nonstick surface, great from oven to table. For baking, broiling, braising, sauteing, and marinating

Dishwasher-safe

Amazon Le Creuset..

• 1 month later...

Broadway Panhandler has 75 percent off kitchen gadgets from All-Clad, OXO, and Le Creuset.

* Where: 477 Broome St., at Wooster St. (212-966-3434)

* When: 5/27–5/29 (11–5)

5/30–6/3 (11–7)

6/4 (11–6)

6/5–6/9 (11–7)

6/10 and 6/11 (11–5)

• 2 months later...

Never mind, sorry - it didn't apply to home merchandise, I found out at checkout.

Edited by Mistinguett (log)
The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

• 1 month later...

For those who had not heard, Broadway Panhandler officially opened yesterday on E. 8th St. between Mercer and Broadway. They are having a sale through the end of October, which includes 40-50% off the retail price off a number of fine pieces of cookware, including Bourgeat copper, All Clad, and Le Creuset. Managed to get a small All Clad Ltd roasting pan and rack for 1/2 price (marked down from $259.95 to $129.95). Good deals to be had here, but check it out soon, as I expect the best stuff to go quickly.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Chilewich Sample Sale @ Clothing Line

261 W. 36th St. (between 7th and 8th Ave)

From today until Friday, 9/29, 10AM-6PM

Everything is about 80% of retail.

Plynyl rugs from $25 (for 2' x 3') to $175 for (6' x 9')

Placemats for $4 (square), $5 (rectangle), $6 (round)

Shag doormats for $10

Table runners for $10-12

Pencil cases, zip bags for $4-$6

Tote bags for $20-30

4 pack of coaster for $5 (don't think they have any more of these)

Just came back with some great stuff.. Check it out!

ginac0lada

• 4 weeks later...

Decent rambutan are for sale at a shop on the Bowery (east side of the avenue), just a bit south of Grand St. $6/lb., $10/2 lb. These are fresh rambutan, shipped in from Miami (and I think ultimately from Puerto Rico). They're not as good as fresh Malaysian rambutan, but they are still pretty good.

Michael aka "Pan"