• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chateau talbot 1937

delights

Haven't had the Talbot but the couple of 37's I have tried had harsh tannins and the fruit is fading or has now faded. I'd compare them to the 75's in structure. I have to admit the Cordier style was never my favourite, tending to be very 'hot' - but the Talbot was perhaps the best. And 37 is considered the second-best vintage of the 30's (after 34).

Being from St Julien there's also hope that more fruit would have been present originally, but my advice would be to try it sooner rather than later, although good chance it is still palatable (because of the tannin) even though not particularly exciting.

I would say drink it,

probably on it's own, and do NOT decant. expect the wine to start falling apart after about 45-60 minutes.

It will probably still offer some pleasure, but it will fade quickly once opened.

Now if you have 1937 Burgundies...

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?