• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quebec City Restaurants Recommendations

gruyere

Fid is my favourite, but Onyx is pretty fabulous, too.  Pricey, but fabulous.  John's Lunch in Dartmouth is actually the best for fried clams and scallops etc.  What did you have at Fid?

We ordered mostly vegetarian stuff....vegetable mayhem, and the Farmer's inspiration.....loaded with greens, fingerling potatoes, lentils, parsnips, radishes....I also had a small piece of foie gras and pork belly with a yuzu-licorice marshmallow, choy sum and sweet potato puree....I noticed that the plating was similar to Michel Bras, so i asked the owner if the chef (her husband) had ever heard of him...she comes back into the dining room and takes the sorbet back to the kitchen along with me, where I ate pretty much one of every vegetable they were cooking that night....As for Michel Bras...they had just visited France a few months ago! Sweeet!

I'd rather live in a world without truffles than in a world without onions.

Sweet is right - Dennis and Monica are pretty delightful. Lots of us who own restaurants eat there - last time he was bursting to show me tiny turnips the size of a baby fingernail, and one night I took my two young cuisiniers there (part of their bonus). They were, of course, welcomed cordially into the kitchen. Come to the Queen of Cups sometime. You might like us. Did you have any dessert at Fid? The ginger creme brulee is exceptional.

Sweet is right - Dennis and Monica are pretty delightful.  Lots of us who own restaurants eat there - last time he was bursting to show me tiny turnips the size of a baby fingernail, and one night I took my two young cuisiniers there (part of their bonus).  They were, of course, welcomed cordially into the kitchen.  Come to the Queen of Cups sometime.  You might like us.  Did you have any dessert at Fid?  The ginger creme brulee is exceptional.

with all the beets and rhubarb he fed me, no room for desert...I'm more of a cheese man than dessert....when I'm in Halifax I'll look you up....I moght be down in the winter...I have a few friends that work @ the "Shoeshop"

Come check out the Rossmount Inn in Saint Andrews.....we're doing some pretty wild stuff with organic @ local produce these days.

Oh, are you kidding? The Rossmount Inn is one of our favourites - we get there at least three time a year, and the last time we stayed in St. Andrew's for three days, we ate there every single night! One night I had haddock, another the most fabulous rack of lamb. Also a yummy lobster and avocado thing. And dessert - always dessert. I wouldn't miss the Rossmount for any reason.

Sweet is right - Dennis and Monica are pretty delightful. 

I certainly agree with that statement. My wife and I last visited Halifax three or four years ago and we had an outstanding meal at FID. Probably the best piece of halibut I have ever had.

First time tourists were treated like long time regulars.

I had hoped to get to Halifax this year. Unfortunately, did not work out. Hopefully next year.

Fid is my favourite, but Onyx is pretty fabulous, too.  Pricey, but fabulous. 

Shelley:

I am not familiar with Onyx. Where is it located.

Our last visit we dined at Bish [multiple occasions as we were befriended by a delightful server who made us feel right at home], da Maurizio, Il Mercato [i think the Bertossi's should be able to retire after a few of our visits], FID, Sweet Basil, Bacchus [i hear that it has since closed], Maple [same thing too I understand...anything replace it in that beautiful space], Chives and the Press Gang.

Past visits we have gone to O'Carroll's, Upper Deck, 5 Fishermen, the Bistro...hey I even took my wife and introduced her to the place where all my student loans were spent during university days in the '70's, the Midtown.

Seven has been recommended to me. Anything else you would suggest?

Onyx is on Spring Garden Road - although I prefer the atmosphere at Fid, the food is really outstanding. I'll be interested to hear your take on Seven - I've given it a try twice, and have been rather underwhelmed. Everything on the menu sound wonderful, but the impression I am left with is that the execution falls a bit short. La Perla, which is just across the bridge, on the harbour on the Dartmouth side, has the *best* calamari I have ever had. Anywhere. Any time. Come to the Queen of Cups and say hi - I love meeting fellow e-gulleteers.

Oh, are you kidding?  The Rossmount Inn is one of our favourites - we get there at least three time a year, and the last time we stayed in St. Andrew's for three days, we ate there every single night!  One night I had haddock, another the most fabulous rack of lamb.  Also a yummy lobster and avocado thing.  And dessert - always dessert.  I wouldn't miss the Rossmount for any reason.

awesome....glad to hear that... we change portions of the menu on a daily basis according to what we can find...I actually sourced out a lamb producer from New Brunswick...no more new Zealand for us.....not that its not a quality product, but this other stuff is far superior...and it only comes from 2 hours away! we're coming up on berry season right now...are you guys heading out here anytime soon?

I don't know if she is, but I am! We're moving to Kingston in September (grad school) and you can be sure I'll push to include the Rossmount Inn on the itinerary.

PS: I see you have BeauSoleil oysters on your menu, everyone knows Mallet

are the best! :wink::biggrin:

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I don't know if she is, but I am! We're moving to Kingston in September (grad school) and you can be sure I'll push to include the Rossmount Inn on the itinerary.

are the best!  :wink:  :biggrin:

You will not be disappointed - alas, we are really busy at my restaurant (up to my elbows in berries), so probably not for a bit. We were there a month ago. Horrid weather, but the Rossmount dinners more than made up for it. We went for the three nights consecutively because the decision process was too agonizing to confine oureselves to one experience. I could not imagine anything better than that lamb.

are the best!  :wink:  :biggrin:

right on...let me know when.....and bring down a few dozen....we're always looking for new local supplies

Edited by Markian (log)

You will not be disappointed -  I could not imagine anything better than that lamb.

now we've really gone crazy with it...we're doing a "threesome" Roasted rack, miso marinated leg medallions, and a braised shoulder and chevre strudel with eggplant-carrot puree and Argan oil

Although this is of no help to Markian, I want to report that thanks to both the comments on this thread and Shelley's recommendation (when I visited the Queen of Cups), I finally had dinner at Fid last night. As promised, the food and service were excellent. I'm so glad I did an egullet search for "Halifax restaurants."

Shelley, I am still thinking about the Tempest in a Teacup (is that right?) dessert. It was divine.

Mallet, I am currently doing a grad degree at Queen's, but I did my last degree at Dal. It's a small world.

Although this is of no help to Markian, I want to report that thanks to both the comments on this thread and Shelley's recommendation (when I visited the Queen of Cups), I finally had dinner at Fid last night.  As promised, the food and service were excellent.  I'm so glad I did an egullet search for "Halifax restaurants."

Shelley, I am still thinking about the Tempest in a Teacup (is that right?) dessert.  It was divine.

Mallet, I am currently doing a grad degree at Queen's, but I did my last degree at Dal.  It's a small world.

I am so glad you enjoyed the tiny Tempest, and glad that you went to Fid. Tomorrow we will have fresh Annapolis Valley sour cherry and almond crumble with homemade vanilla ice-cream. Come back soonest!

I had my first lunch at Fid today. Definitely something I'd do again! The food was excellent as always, and it was surprisingly affordable (around $15 for an appetizer plus a main course). Admittedly the portions were small but I still left feeling full.

I haven't made it out to the Queen of Cups yet, but I really want to.

Khadija, it's a small world indeed!

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I had my first lunch at Fid today. Definitely something I'd do again! The food was excellent as always, and it was surprisingly affordable (around $15 for an appetizer plus a main course). Admittedly the portions were small but I still left feeling full.

I haven't made it out to the Queen of Cups yet, but I really want to.

Khadija, it's a small world indeed!

Do come - you definitely won't starve!

• 3 months later...

This will be my third year going to Quebec City for New Years.. I really love Quebec, especially in the winter.. We will be staying at the Auberge S. Antoine..

For New Years we will be at Laurie Raphael.. I know we want to have one dinner at Toast.. We really love the two guys who own the place and its so cozy..

My questions are:

1) Where is the best place for lunch.. We liked L’Echaudé better then Cafe Du Monde. In fact, besides the cornichons, we though that Du Monde was average..

2) We are going to go to that sliding place Village Vacances Valcartier... While we are taking a taxi all the way out there, is there some place we should stop for lunch on the way?

3)We walked by Graffitti the last time we were there and after looking at the menu were really unimpressed.. What is a great restaurant in that general area, by the market..

4)Have any new places opened since last new years.

5)Are there any cool cozy bars with fireplaces? We really like Oncles, which is a really old stone bar that has the one fireplace heating it.. Drinking absinthes and coffees on a freezing afternoon :biggrin:

6)Best Poutine?

We really didnt like St. Amore. Found the tasting menu to be way too heavy and the name is a lot more romantic then the restaurant was.. So besides the usual L'intial, l'utopie, what other places are on the top of Quebec's Restaurant scene.. Last year we went to Yuzu and walked out.. The scene was obnoxious,they were out of most of the fish, and the food looked underwhelming.. Having a very hard time not going every night to Laurie Raphael..

Thanks for your help.. Will write up and post my trip here..

Daniel

Edited by Daniel (log)

1- Du monde is average, however, at 10:00PM, l'échaudé will have their dishwasher cook a steak instead of close up the kitchen. At other times, Echaudé is much better.

2- Tough question, might just be the best time for that poutine...

3- You are looking for best eats in the Cartier Area ? Tough question, I usually have lunch at Kregoff cafe simply for the speed, the organic toulouse and the coffee. Graffiti is a copious french place and not a high end spot by any means (Kriegoff isn't really a dinner place for that mater).

If you are brunching or lunch or want a simple dinner, if you are in the Saint Rock area (close to Utopie), I suggest cafe du Clocher Penché. Nice little neighborhood spot. I have no idea in that area. I go to Metropolitain for Sushi and apparently the Voodoo Grill has new and imporved kicthen besides the Loews Hotel but I find it tacky to eat while some junkie is playing tam tams at my table....

The reviews for Sonar are always good, it is a tapas place but the seating and atmosphere is just so odd in that place. This is on Carteir street.

4- Not too many: Les Bossus cafe on Saint Joseph

5- I like party more than cozy. Last time I was there I went to a punk concert so I am not a good reference.

6- There is apparently a really good fast food joint in the Sillery area, small white box that does great burgers, could be the best poutine place ?

I understand your remarks for Yuzu, it can be very weird there. I have been there when bikers and mafia invade the place calling booze and "these things" on the menu... I would however challenge you to try again, the service is usually good and the kitchen can be amazing on a good day. Very interesting combinations.

I have always been extremely satisfied with Monte Cristo, it is not in town however, it is in nowhereland in Saint Foy, in a Chateau. (Chateau Bonne entente). Last year I had an incredible meal there. Maybe the fact that they babysat my three kids downstairs made it even better.

http://www.chateaubonneentente.com/en/xcon...estomontecristo

Panache in your hotel might be a good bet. I might go next week. It has received some good reviews.

• 4 weeks later...

It's low season, there's plenty of room at Auberge Saint Antoine. Free drink round on wednesday night between 7 and 8pm... I went to Hotel 71 just behind St Antoine and it was very nice. Nice room, nice free breakfast. However, Auberge Sainte Antoine now serves breakfast in the Panache restaurant and they serve a really nice breakfast. The menu there looks great.

Anybody looking for classic junk food need to go to Pat Retro in Sillery on Macguire street. Stellar poutine.