• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quebec City Restaurants Recommendations

gruyere

• 3 months later...

After perusing this thread, these sound like the best bets for my Quebec City stay...

Panache

l'Utopie

Laurie Raphael

Cafe du Monde - lunch

Paillard - lunch

Aux Anciens Canadiens

le Moine Echanson

Cafe du Clocher Penche

l'Inox - late night

Pat Retro - poutine - sometimes you gotta get down and dirty!

Toast

Opinions welcome - are all still in business? Who is not on the list that I should know about? Have car and GPS and not afraid to use them.

Merci beaucoup - after 40 years in the US my school French is down to a few phrases.

• 1 month later...

Had a late night snack at Paillard - good carrot soup but carrots must have been given away to restaurants that week because everyone featured carrot soup.

Far and away the best meal was the 5 course tasting meal at l'Utopie. We were checking out the menu in the window one morning and a staffer unlocked the door, and proceded to make sure that we had reservations secured. That man really knows how to get butts in the seats. They have a chef menu designed to go with a specific bottle of wine. That concept works great when it's only 2 people dining.

Check out Le Croquembouche bakery across the street

Cafe du Monde - lovely lunch in a very busy and unexpectedly large restaurant. I had a raclette type dish with a generous slab of melty cheese ove duck confit and crispy potatoes - contrasted with a very crisp local rose. Yummy lunch and on that day great river views and people watching.

One night was supper at a cute Creperie on Rue St Jean - sort of a design your own crepe in a tiny quaint shop with slow service but a tasty product. I was sipping a local hard cider so what did I care that I waited 45 min on the street and another 30 for food.

Last evening was dinner at a mostly rabbit restaurant in the Lowertown section. Pretty good but better for the conversation with the people at the next table. The teeny round tables were so close only a toothpick fit between them.

• 6 months later...

Surely worth a bump?

I'll be in Quebec City for the first time in ages later this spring, and I've got some specific and some general questions.

Le Saint-Amour? still worth a visit?

Laurie Raphael? Not worth a visit?

Aux Anciens Canadiens - can't imagine that it's not still worth a visit

Le Chateau Frontenac - any food worth having there? how's the bar? it used to be fabulous. What about staying there? Worth the splurge?

Best croissants?

Best lunch?

Best breakfast? (may/should include croissants!)

Restaurants that have been there since the 60's and 70's (my misspent youth!) and still worth a visit?

Thanks in advance!

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Heading for Quebec City for X'mas. With wife and two kids at 2 and 5. The older one is already a foodie and the younger one just love the meat. Will stay in the Frontenac. I am particularly interested in games and look for some place suitable for families, i.e. not too slow service and not over-crowded. Thanks in advance.

I just got back from 4 days eating and drinking in QC city and I will answer VioletFox's questions (from above), which I think most will find useful:

Le Saint-Amour? still worth a visit?

YES. Oldie but goodie! Had a great dinner there, although dishes are on the old=fashioned side...

Laurie Raphael? Not worth a visit?

Pretentious. Pricey. Chef too much of a celeb to actually show up and cook. Annoying electronic music.

Aux Anciens Canadiens - can't imagine that it's not still worth a visit

Kitshy but cute. A great intro on Quebec food 101, hearty and rustic.

Le Chateau Frontenac - any food worth having there? how's the bar? it used to be fabulous. What about staying there? Worth the splurge?

Just toured several rooms. Trouble is they are all very very very different, the hotel is huge and has gone thru several renos. When calling, be very specific in what you want. I actually love the cheaper rooms that face the lovely inner courtyard, with all its greenery and xmas lights. River views cost more.

The restaurant is gorgeous, the views, ditto. Never eaten there, though. The bar feels very much like.... a hotel bar! :)

Best lunch?

Le Café du Monde: rue Dalhousie, 84, tel. (418) 692-4455 (and yes, this large bistro is very family friendly!

My absolute favorites in QC city:

Restaurant Toast

and Panache at the Auberge Saint-Antoine

8, rue Saint-Antoine

418 692-2211 or 1 888 692-2211

Best breakfast? (may/should include croissants!)

The St Antoine has a great breakfast open to non-guests...

MUST-SEE (there you can buy not only great croissants but anything you'd ever need to compose the world's most perfect picknick basket):

Épicerie J.A.Moisan

Restaurants that have been there since the 60's and 70's (my misspent youth!) and still worth a visit?

Nope.

Also, for those who haven't heard, pls. note L'Utopie restaurant is now closed, sadly.

Edited by AlexForbes (log)

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

• 3 years later...

My husband and I will be in Quebec city for a few days next week. I searched for QC recommendations, but the only threads I found were several years old.

Anyone know the latest on the restaurant scene there? I'd like to find a few decent bistro type places, and we're thinking of doing at least one splurge night if there's someplace worth it. And any cool hole-in-the-walls or whatever would be good, too. Really, I'm just looking for great food.

Anyone?

• 1 month later...

I too am about to go to Quebec City for a few nights, this weekend, and would LOVE any updates on the restaurant scene there. We are especially hoping to find two or three good lunch spots, a couple of great bistros for dinner and one special restaurant with exceptional food, where I can take my husband for his birthday dinner. Thank you for any and all suggestions!!