• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corporate dinner

fifi

I will likely be involved in planning a corporate type celebration dinner in Philly for maybe around February. The group will likely be six or so, high level types. We need a place that is quiet enough for good conversation with a variety of food to meet the tastes of folks that I don't know well enough to ask. It has been a few years since I was last at Le Bec Fin but I think that might be a little over the top. Although, the atmosphere is about right. I have read through a lot of the threads in this forum but didn't find enough specific or timely information to answer my specific questions without reading the whole forum. :blink: Atmosphere and food come first. Great food in a noisy place would not qualify. Can some of you kind folks help me out?

Many thanks.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'd like to suggest Il Portico.

I can't imagine it being too noisy in there, and I trust Al del Bello to make good food.

Haven't heard much about it lately though, but the last I heard of it, people liked it.

And it's Italian food. Always a safe bet. As long as no one orders spaghetti.

Here's the site.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Linda:

If a steakhouse isn't too boring or overdone a choice, I'd highly recommend going to Capital Grille. Very centrally located, excellent food and service and a wine list with some hidden gems on it. Clickety

Pasion is one of my very favorite restaurants (and yet another former employer), so if Nuevo Latino cuisine isn't too wacky for this crew, I'd say no contest. Food is exquisite, service is excellent, particularly when explaining an unfamiliar menu to new guests, and the wine service is top notch as well Clickety.

The Moshulu received a three bell review from the Philadelphia Inquirer's Craig LaBan HERE which is no small feat in this town. The Chef de Cuisine is a (new) and frequent poster in the PA forum and the menu and upcoming events sound very intrigueing. Restaurant site is HERE

Brasserie Perrier is also a good choice with a wide menu of bistro favorites Clickety.

You could also try Fork, which might be a little lower key than the previous choices ambiance wise, but has fantastic food and a very interesting wine list, particularly the by the glass selection Clickety.

A new restaurant that just opened is called Patou. It's run by a well recognized chef (owns Bistro St. Tropez) who is a very good chef, but it's too new to have gotten any reports back about yet. Service was always an issue at the other restaurant, but they hired some of my old staff from Striped Bass, so I presume the service here will be a step up. Clickety

Gee I wish this dinner had been a few months ago! I could have been a lot more help on a much more personal level. :sad: Will you be joining in this feast, or merely doing the planning? If you're heading this way we might have to roll out the red carpet for a fellow eGullet host!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Many thanks guys. I will be in the party. There are three of us coming up from Houston. Great list, Katy. I will discuss it with my compadres. It may be a couple of weeks before we start specific planning. Is a 7:00 reservation too early in Philly? This is likely to be on a weekday night.

If Le Bec Fin is not out of the running, how is it these days?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

We need a place that is quiet enough for good conversation with a variety of food to meet the tastes of folks that I don't know well enough to ask.

Doesn't being expected to arrange this affair give you the right to feel them out just a wee bit?

Yea, I was thinking about Pasion, but somehow decided against it b/c of the small room.

But I do think it's a good choice. Also Capital Grille as far as big honking meat.

Lacroix might be a good option as well.

I especially like Moshulu as a possibility, actually. People are likely to enjoy being on a huge wooden ship, plus you can solicit advice privately through an Egulleteer.

My only caveat is that it's not as centrally located as Pasion, Capital Grille, and Il Portico. I decided against throwing Fork in for the same reason.

7PM is not too early.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

We need a place that is quiet enough for good conversation with a variety of food to meet the tastes of folks that I don't know well enough to ask.

Doesn't being expected to arrange this affair give you the right to feel them out just a wee bit?

We will probably ask if they have any preferences but it is best just to "take charge" in these situations. A quiet room and a varied menu works every time. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

One of my compadres is wondering if Bookbinders is still good. He hasn't been to Philly in years.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Bookbinders was so good that it went out of business.

Then the other one went out of business also.

The old joke is that when one hopped into a Philly cab and requested a ride to Bookies, the cabbie would take him to the on further away.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

One of my compadres is wondering if Bookbinders is still good. He hasn't been to Philly in years.

He obviously hasn't been here in years. BOTH Bookbinder locations are closed. That place had been coasting on it's reputation since the Eisenhower adminsitration. No loss, I assure you.

If you really want seafood, I'd recommend Sansom Street Oyster House now that Striped Bass is no more.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My $.02...

I'll second Brasserie Perrier suggestion. It will serve nicely for a corporate dinner and the food is good but not so cutting edge that a diverse group would be hard pressed to find something they liked. You can't really go wrong with one of Georges Perrier's restaurants. Think of it as a less formal Le Bec.

Moshulu is also an excellent choice. The atmosphere is well done but subtle and the waitstaff is excellent. I'd suggest fish over beef if you dine there.

Capital grill is a good corporate-type place but it might be slightly noisy depending on the night and where you sit. As a side note, the filet mignon (done medium rare) was excellent. So were the mashed potatoes.

You can make arrangements online for all three places at www.opentable.com. I've found it to be rather convenient when you want to do a quick search for availablity.

brassiere perrier has quite a busy happy hour.

i may just be overly anal, but i wouldn't want work-related guests muddling through if it might hurt my chances of closing the deal.

also, i was there before chris scarduzio came and wasn't impressed.

since he has now left, i expect the food quality to be back to how it was before.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 months later...
A new restaurant that just opened is called Patou. It's run by a well recognized chef (owns Bistro St. Tropez) who is a very good chef, but it's too new to have gotten any reports back about yet. Service was always an issue at the other restaurant, but they hired some of my old staff from Striped Bass, so I presume the service here will be a step up. Clickety

Any further word on Patou? Was thinking about going here tomorrow night with my dad.

Thomas Secor