• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

week-end in Asheville

phlawless

I will be in Asheville in March and need some info about the dining scene. Although I grew up in the area, it's been quite a while since I've been back, and I know nothing of what's going on with the food scene. Anyone have any suggestions? Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated as well.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

I had a stellar meal at Tratoria La Caterina on Pack Place in downtown Asheville... creative and well executed food. Roasted wedge of kure squash stuffed with duck confit and chunks of ricotta salata, drizzled with mint infused oil and roasted seeds of some variety made a great appetizer. The braised veal cheeks entree was similarly excellent.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I did a food/travel article on Asheville in September. If you'll go to the archive on my newspaper's web site, www.charlotte.com, and put in the terms "purvis and asheville," you'll turn up the story and a sidebar that had restaurant names, addresses, phone numbers and web addresses. (You have to register to use the archive, but it's free.)

Off the top of my head, don't-misses are Market Place, Early Girl and the one that starts with a Z (Zambra? Sorry, I'm still finishing my second cup of coffee.)

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer