• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3Vodka -- Anyone try this yet?

beans

No carbs??? Um, emperor, clothes, you do the mental images....

Their site isn't a real website, it's some flash abomination (personal peeve, the web is about system and OS-independence, not about cute proprietary animations.) Be that as it may, I was able to at least see the little no-carb artwork.

Gimme a f'ing break; without being pedantic, I'll just say that advertising no-carb vodka is the same as advertising a cholesterol-free vegetable oil. Gah. [ Jinmyo]

And, given my generally plebian tastes, I don't see the point in 'premium' vodkas anyway, but that's a subject that has a thread elsewhere.

No carbs??? Um, emperor, clothes, you do the mental images....

Their site isn't a real website, it's some flash abomination

Pet peeve or not, 98% of the alcohol distillery websites are all Flash -- some even going so far as to be nightmare-ish (for awhile there Absolut was the worst about this time last year). There is a link to end the flash intro and I would suppose that the US liquor industry as such as it is, could not be permitted to purport such an assertion as "No Carbs" if that were not in fact true.

I've read mixed reviews of it having a chocolaty finish and not the firey-ness of 100% potato vodkas. However, I've also read that it has the fragrance of rubbing alcohol, with a thin texture and lingering bitter after taste. All in all harsh, and somewhat antiseptic. But then taste is subjective, no?

Cool bottle and cap design tho'. Apparently two cap-fulls equal a perfect shot, whatever that may be as determined by their designers. :wink:

If I happen to see it out and about, or run into our local rep. I think a sample is in order.

Interesting this is a start up from a Chicago based company, as far as I have been able to deduce. (Chicago Tribune article expired, but is available should I wish to shell out $2.95 for the viewing -- BLEH! Now, that's a pet peeve of mine!!!)

Hi beans,

No direct quoting here, but about flash, do they really want to alieniate people that are blind or otherwise can't see their not particularly informative website? (Rhetorical question.) They can do what they like; they hit a minor nerve with me. (BTW, I'm not blind, just obnoxious :smile:)

And to be mildly pedantic this time, NO vodka has any carbohydrates at all. Unless they have added sugar (or perhaps other flavorings.) It's like saying that some particular brand of mineral water has no calories (implying that others do-- it just ain't so.)

And to be mildly pedantic this time, NO vodka has any carbohydrates at all. Unless they have added sugar (or perhaps other flavorings.) It's like saying that some particular brand of mineral water has no calories (implying that others do-- it just ain't so.)

Liking or disliking Flash is not relevant here.

And while we're being pedantic and I decided to dredge up my good government's resources -- according to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 1.5 ounces of 80 proof gin, rum, vodka and whiskey contains 0 grams of carbohydrates. That is of course without specific brands and only as a "stardard reference."

Well, good for those 3 vodka guys with their start-up company and establishing a strong, marketing foot hold with that bold red oval artwork asserting "No Carbs." Apparently, per a L.A. bartender acquaitance, this is one of *the* vodkas gaining fast popularity and one of the most requested in markets such as Hollywood, California. :rolleyes:

Interesting to note the new area of advertising for liquor that has never been previously explored. (Aside from ye olde medicinal boasts or proclamations.... :blink: )

edit: typo :sad:

Edited by beans (log)

This is the same trap as “fat-free” food that gets loaded with sugar to make it taste and feel right. Though this does remind mew of a product they used to sell called Diet Vodka. It was 60 proof rather than 80. so I guess they added a little more water to the grain alcohol for that.

Living hard will take its toll...

• 1 month later...

Two recent press releases:

First Federal Approval to No Carb Labeling

Chicago-based 3 Vodka, the one and only vodka in the world distilled from soy, announced today that they are the first and only spirit to receive federal label approval to list “zero carbohydrates” as a nutritional statement. The “zero carbohydrate” nutritional statement appears on the front facing of the packaging. From its distilled-from-soy formula, to its out-of-the-box marketing strategies and now to their nutritional statement foresight; 3 Vodka continues to revolutionize the spirits industry.

3 VODKA IS THE FIRST AND ONLY SPIRIT TO BE CERTIFIED AND RECOMMENDED BY THE AMERICAN VEGETARIAN ASSOCIATION

Chicago-based 3 Vodka, the only vodka in the world distilled from soy, has become the first and only spirit to be certified and recommended by the American Vegetarian Association (AVA). Millions of consumers have embraced vegetarian diet regimes from the traditional vegetarian to the health conscious dieter as the increasing awareness of healthier eating has become more mainstream. Earlier this month, 3 Vodka also announced that it is the first and only distilled spirit to receive federal label approval to list “zero carbohydrates” as a nutritional statement on its packaging.

Vodka is almost always filtered through an animal product, bones or charcoal or something -- my vegetarian wife would know exactly what. But it doesn't stop her from drinking it. Some people are hardcore, however.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Jeez... I wasn't aware that a lot of vodka was made from meat. :wink:

This is an area of cocktail/product knowledge that seems to be growing rapidly -- vegetarian friendly liquors. (That and celiac).

We recently had a whole discussion on Campari, E-120 and cochineal insects on Webtender.

(Campari is not kosher nor vegetarian friendly.) :wacko:

Yes, I am learning much more than I ever anticipated .... :raz:

Bugs!