• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Cue Alert: Sweet Lucy's Smokehouse & Joe Dubreaux

marinade

While trying to outrun a traffic jam on I-95 North this morning, I jumped off at Cottman ave to puddlejump the mess by a couple of exits. On the 7500 block of State road in a factory driveway is what looks like a food truck "cabin" mounted on a low flat bed with a smoker. There were stacks of logs around this rig and I was cursing the fact that they weren't open for breakfast. But they were open for lunch! They're smoking over hickory and are selling meat by the sandwich, platter, and the pound. Meat includes: Pulled Pork, Beef Brisket, Smoked Sausage, Rotisserie Chicken, BBQ Pulled Chicken, and "Memphis" Ribs. Sauce includes a NC Vinegar base and there own. Decent sides, and had the slaw and baked beans with a pulled pork sandwich. Good stuff! They're open Mon-Sat from 11:00 to 5:00. Ph# 215-287-1356 & 215-706-4059.

If any of you like the soulful flavors of Dubreaux's in Overbrook, Francis's husband - Joseph is becoming a supplier of some fine smoking woods. I grabbed a bag of Black Cherry, Alder, and Hickory (he has a nice supply of pecan and fruitwoods, along with oak, maple, and mesq. He's in start-up now and the best way to get him is througth the resaturant. Tis the season for cold smoking, especially salmon. Did a batch for New Year's parties using a salt and maple sugar cure (with a splash of bourbon), and cold smoked over it sugar maple wood.

Jim T

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

that must be the place that won the Daily News' best food truck contest.

That it is. I had it a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised. I've had a hard time finding good BBQ around here.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

They are the winners pf the DN Best Food Truck of 2003. But wait to you see this rig. Take the body of a typical (?) food truck off it's chassis. Plop it on a low flatbed dual axel trailor bed. Then attach a large smoker right next to it. No outdoor seating so BYO folding chair. They've been open since May and I've noticed them a few times flying by but today I noticed the large stack of hickory logs and that brougt me to a screeching halt. They're pretty nice folks and they gave me another source for smoking wood in the Quaketown, Pa area. He does large volumes. $75.00 per pickup truck. Let me know if anyone wants in on something like this.

Andrew: If you do get there on Saturday, they will do combos. I'd be interested in what you think.

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

Thanks for the tip.  I haven't had a decent Carolina-style 'cue in Philly (and very little first-rate BBQ, period)... but am always on the lookout.  I'll try to head up to Sweet Lucy's this week!

have ya been to dwight's southern @ 44th and lancaster or debreaux in the overbrook train station?

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I wonder if he has a Southern Yankee Bar-B-que Trailer

Nope! This is a DYI rig. I'll get back to ittomorrow or Thurs for a closer look at the cooker and a brisket sandwich (in the interest of scientific research, of course).

have ya been to dwight's southern @ 44th and lancaster or debreaux in the overbrook train station?

Actually Joe is Francis Debreaux's husband, my mispelling. Been to their restaurant lots. Instead of Dwights I head into Zeke’s Main Line BBQ. Dwight's parboils and then grills and that sort of thing makes their ribs tougth. Dwight's sides (collards) are good.

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

Thanks for the tip.  I haven't had a decent Carolina-style 'cue in Philly (and very little first-rate BBQ, period)... but am always on the lookout.  I'll try to head up to Sweet Lucy's this week!

Debreaux, yes. Though I only had the fried chicken. Which was exemplary. Dwight's I haven't been to: though after learning that they commit the sacrilege of parboiling I'm not likely to go any time soon. Zeke's is okay, and probably the best BBQ I've had in the city. Still like the Rib Shanty on Rte. 40 the best, and Uncle Dewey does a good job too. (Who's ready to start planning Revenge of Rib Run?)

Gonna be heading up to the great Northeast for some barbecue goodness this afternoon, hoorah!

Think this the time to start a survey of area BBQ pits? Now some of these are seasonal (when the flys come out) but I'd be curious as to whose blowing smoking and most inportantly --- how and with what wood. Some of the local trnds that I've been seeing is 'cue with convection (and some conviction). The convection cookers (eg Southern Pride)are restaurant hardware which is a convection oven, rotisserre set up. The temp is gas or electric driven and logs or wood chunks are used more to season the food rather than cook it. Zekes Main Line and the Bridgeport Rib House use setups like this. Then there's the par boilers. These seem to be inner city joints which parboil racks and then grill them. Is this a Lawnside style? Regional 'Cue seems to be all over the place. Chime in folks. I'd be happy to compile posts into a list.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

Jim, you are an evil provacateur; there are a lot of crazed 'cue fanatics in the DDC alone, not even counting those who post here and haven't been to a DDC event yet. I have had Lucy's 'cue, but haven't heard of the other place on State Road, though friends tell me it's phenomenal.

"Revenge of Rib Run". God, the possibilities.

All I know is that I don't want to even think about anything called Rib Club.

Please.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Sweet Lucy's is a very good find. We stopped by after a busy morning at Ye Olde Home Depot and picked up an order to eat at home. I'm still picking meat from between my teeth and am now contentedly considering a Saturday afternoon nap...

Let's see: we ordered two platters, with brisket, pulled pork, ribs, sweet potatoes, slaw, beans (green & baked), and German potato salad. A couple of rolls, for making sandwiches. The sides are workmanlike. I don't much care for sweet potatoes, but if I did, I'd love these: sweet, buttery, making a mockery of any health claims that that tuber might make. Both sets of beans were first-rate; green beans were tender but not mushy. Baked beans were slightly sweet and tangy, with some nice chunks of pork playing hide and seek... Gotta get that meat as many ways as possible, don't you know!

The meat, especially the pork and brisket, is the best I've had in Philly. It's well smoked- there's a clear smoke ring on the brisket slices, always a good thing- with a complex, slightly sweet and almost fruity flavor. Very nice. I'm sort of two minds about highly smoked barbecue: in general I like a little more subtlety, but this just has such a good flavor that I'm totally won over. The ribs were okay; we got the end of the rack, so there was a disappointing bone/meat ratio. I'd try them again, though.

Not too much sauce, which was good, because I didn't like that so much (a little too ketchupy). Since we ate at home, we got some Arthur Bryant's and Johnny Harris mustard sauce out of the fridge; no problem there. I forgot to ask about the vinegar sauce; next time, I'll get some of that on the side.

Definitely a good candidate for a mini-Rib Run. But what to call it? Revenge of Rib Run? Rib Run Redux?

And Jim, I'd love to see some sort of Philadelphia master barbecue list drawn up. Lead, and I will follow!

Andrew, glad you liked it. The baked beans stole my heart away! I ate them parked on State rd leaning over my passenger seat along with slaw and a crusty pulled pork. Even in this sub zero weather you can smell the smoke.

Rich, had a thought about a DCC possibility. These folks are pretty mobile. Why not bring the joint to us? Know of a place or patch of land that can accomodate 50 or so smoke heads? Lets think on the possibilities for sometime in June.

Re: The 'Cue Queue (sorry couldn't resist). Give me a few days to think of a list format. Something like Who, Where, When, How and What (food) with your collective zings Zagat style. Any other info that you'd like to see?

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

Rich, had a thought about a DCC possibility. These folks are pretty mobile. Why not bring the joint to us? Know of a place or patch of land that can accomodate 50 or so smoke heads? Lets think on the possibilities for sometime in June.

Re: The 'Cue Queue  (sorry couldn't resist). Give me a few days to think of a list format. Something like Who, Where, When, How and What (food) with your collective zings Zagat style. Any other info that you'd like to see?

Jim

would "how" be some description of how they cook said meat?

would "what" include other available meats and side dishes?

As far as a DDC event, which is better:

Option A: Open patch of land, Lucy's truck and Smoke'n Dudes BBQ rig both on site

Option B, convoy from Lucy's truck to Smoke'n Dudes House or vice versa

????

Obviously, the second is easier to do, but can we think of an open patch of land that would be available? I personally love Option A, if we can find someone with a few dozen acres available.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Right on target,

How: Would be type of cooker, wood source, and technique

What: Basic menu and some sides.

As far as which option, B would be a fall back plan.

With Option A: We'd have to do one or the other because the $ per head would be double with two "caterers". They probably have a mim price per person. Most public spaces may have an alcohol ban (insurance etc..). We have till the warm weather to think about it.

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

With Option A: We'd have to do one or the other because the $ per head would be double with two "caterers". They probably have a mim price per person. Most public spaces may have an alcohol ban (insurance etc..). We have till the warm weather to think about it.

very true.

i'm wondering what the pp price would be. let's assume 70 people, since it'll be somewhat well located (not as far as Trenton, Perth Amboy, or West Chester), outdoors on a nice day (or we have to plan for it this way).

Would it be more than $12.50?

Yea, probably. Jes wondering how much more.

The alcohol ban is something we've thought about previously, when last we thought about having an outdoor event. Still haven't solved it, but it's in our head.

But I know Fairmount Park allows alcohol, b/c I've organized events there.

actually, probably better to assume, 60 people or so. pleasantly suprised if more.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

very true.

i'm wondering what the pp price would be. let's assume 70 people, since it'll be somewhat well located (not as far as Trenton, Perth Amboy, or West Chester), outdoors on a nice day (or we have to plan for it this way).

Would it be more than $12.50?

Yea, probably. Jes wondering how much more.

The alcohol ban is something we've thought about previously, when last we thought about having an outdoor event. Still haven't solved it, but it's in our head.

But I know Fairmount Park allows alcohol, b/c I've organized events there.

actually, probably better to assume, 60 people or so. pleasantly suprised if more.

Oh Lord, what mental masturbation.

It will be SO much easier to just visit both places, located as they are on the same road and just a few miles apart. The cost to have both places cater and the effort to find an open place that wont get us into trouble, surely cant be worth the effort.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I have to agree with Rich. The motorcade idea seems to be the simplest from a logistical standpoint. Maybe we can back into a place for dessert or coffee or after BBQ cocktails at the end of the route. My suspicians that you're not going to be able to bring both of these joints out under mim costs per head. It would have to be one joint or another. But on the other hand is some pipes in with "You can use my back yard", then we may have something....

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

I have to agree with Rich. The motorcade idea seems to be the simplest from a logistical standpoint. Maybe we can back into a place for dessert or coffee or after BBQ cocktails at the end of the route. My suspicians that you're not going to be able to bring both of these joints out under mim costs per head. It would have to be one joint or another. But on the other hand is some pipes in with "You can use my back yard", then we may have something....

Jim , when we did the now-infamous Rib Run last September, we hit 3 rib joints in deep South Jersey for about $25 ( I think it ended up being a few bucks over, but not much).. Two of the places set up buffets, for lack of a better term, and one of the places just served us heaping plates of ribs and chicken and sides and some cornbread at the tables. After two of the places , we were stuffed, so these two 'cue joints should do the trick.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

It will be SO much easier to just visit both places, located as they are on the same road and just a few miles apart. The cost to have both places cater and the effort to find an open place that wont get us into trouble, surely cant be worth the effort.

So Revenge/Return/Redux of Rib Run it is? Name your date and throw down the BBQ mitt!

:laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

It'd probably be wise to wait until temperatures have popped back up above freezing before we take on any righteous rib running adventures. Plus, Sweet Lucy's parking lot doesn't have the same kind of bucolic splendor that Route 40 has to offer...

On the other hand, if anybody wants to head up to one of these places some Saturday, I'd be up for it. A really twisted individual might tag team barbecue with a trip to Bonk's for a little surf n' turf action: Katie, I'm looking at you...

It'd probably be wise to wait until temperatures have popped back up above freezing before we take on any righteous rib running adventures.  Plus, Sweet Lucy's parking lot doesn't have the same kind of bucolic splendor that Route 40 has to offer...

On the other hand, if anybody wants to head up to one of these places some Saturday, I'd be up for it.  A really twisted individual might tag team barbecue with a trip to Bonk's for a little surf n' turf action: Katie, I'm looking at you...

Not that you're a twisted individual or anything. And not that there's anything wrong with that... :biggrin:

Andrew you are truly the most aggressively niggling bad influence of all of them. And I love you for it... :wub:

"Some Saturday" would be fine in three to four weeks, as well as when it's warmer as you said. I just started a rather restrictive diet and don't wish to sabotage myself any further than the already planned trip to China 46 will allow me to do. :wink:

As an aside, are the "Winter" crabs at Bonk's flown up from the Gulf of Mexico? The water there gets pretty damn warm and makes for high bacterial counts, not an appetizing thought :unsure: . There is some truth to that "Never eat an oyster in a month without an "R" in it". Perhaps a little investigation prior to committing to the "Food Poisoning Special du jour" would be a good idea :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol