• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Governator" Beer for Ahhhhrnold

Carolyn Tillie

Some of us folks in California are sick of the Arnold-hype. Yet I guess a beer producer in Oregon is going to ride some of the coattails.

Story here - in USA Today.

The only good thing about this, is the goofy name for the beer.

But as has been said many time before:

we get the government we elect and deserve.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I think it is kind of fun, actually... I'd be mad at them if the beer in the bottles isn't a strong germanic doppelbock, as the -ator suffix does lead to that conclusion... the tradition including Optimator, Salvator, Celebrator, etc...

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

It seems fairly harmless and apolitical.

I remember the "Billy Beer" named for the President's brother back in the 1970's. This is hardly a new concept.

http://www.the-forum.com/advert/billy.htm

http://www.rustycans.com/billy.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I think it is kind of fun, actually... I'd be mad at them if the beer in the bottles isn't a strong germanic doppelbock, as the -ator suffix does lead to that conclusion... the tradition including Optimator, Salvator, Celebrator, etc...

It says in the story that its an ESB.

But do we trust the reporter to get that detail right anyway? It is USA Today, after all.

Ha! I figure they must be right because there's no way they could dream up something like ESB. But I'm surprised that a brewery with the credentials of Portland Brewing Co would make an ESB with an -ator name.

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't call it an ESB, but more of a pale ale. It has a very nice hop nose, but when you taste it - there is pretty much nothing. Tis to be expected for a novelty type beer. Production has been halted on it and if you are lucky you can find some perhaps - more of a collectors item these days.

Brew-Monkey.com - Your source for brew news, events, reviews, and all things beer.