• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Cardamom

edemuth

A good friend of mine recently returned from India with a ziploc baggie full of green cardamom and a package of saffron for me. (I think the saffron might not be the authentic article--maybe I could try to post a picture and let the experts here tell me?)

When I first saw the cardamom, my gut reaction was to use it in a chai spice mix, because chai is one of my favorite beverages. However, I weighed the bag and discovered I have 170g to work with. That would be a LOT of chai, even for me! :biggrin:

I searched this forum for "green cardamom" but the recipes I found only call for, say, 8 pods each. From the Indian recipes I've seen, my impression is that individual spices are not "stars" of a dish like they are in other cuisines, but always used in combination. If there are any dishes that particularly showcase cardamom, though, I'd love to hear about them (recipes much appreciated).

I would like to use or preserve all of the pods before they go stale, if possible... any ideas on how best to do this? Is it OK to substitute green for the other types of cardamom, or are there exceptions? Thanks so much in advance.

Erin

Hmmm.. one of my favorite spices. You can use it for regular chai as you mentioned. I can also give you a delightful no tea leaves tea recipe that uses both the saffron and the cardamom -- they are simmered for a while along with cinnamon for a divine taste

many people also chew cardamom raw (a piece at a time please) as a mouth freshner

You can also use it when you prepare certain curries (like Chicken) -- you can also use it when you are preparing desserts like rice pudding and for pulaos (rice dishes).. they really do add a wonderful flavor.

Black cardamom is a different beast and is not a substitute for the green one

i am sure others have a lot to add here.. Vikram.. I would love to hear your thoughts

As for recipes.. for you, Erin..a personal invitation -- next time you are in town..call me and I will be happy to prepare some food for you!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Freeze it in a good freezer bag or store it in an airtight jar and keep it away from light.

You could also try ILAICHI GOSHT a cardamom flavored lamb/goat curry with more than the usual amount of the cardamom.

It is strange, when I go to India I carry cardamom and saffron for folks out there and there are others who bring it over from there.

Most of the cardamom and saffron that we use here comes from South America.

PS. Monica, is there an invitation for us poor folks too??

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

I can also give you a delightful no tea leaves tea recipe that uses both the saffron and the cardamom -- they are simmered for a while along with cinnamon for a divine taste

Black cardamom is a different beast and is not a substitute for the green one.

I'd be interested in that recipe! :biggrin:

Is black cardamom the seeds from inside the pod (i.e., decorticated cardamom) or is it a completely different type thing? I have a bag of decorticated cardamom; I remember buying it, and it's open (so I've used it), but I have no idea what I used it for.

I think I'll pass on chewing it. :unsure:

On the dessert side of things...

If you're poaching fruit, throw a few of the pods into the poaching liquid along with some slices of ginger, a cinamon stick, and some lemon zest.

I also make sugar syrup infused with cardamom, among other warm spices. I then mix it with mango puree as a sorbet base.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Hmmm.. one of my favorite spices. You can use it for regular chai as you mentioned. I can also give you a delightful no tea leaves tea recipe that uses both the saffron and the cardamom -- they are simmered for a while along with cinnamon for a divine taste

many people also chew cardamom raw (a piece at a time please) as a mouth freshner

You can also use it when you prepare certain curries (like Chicken) -- you can also use it when you are preparing desserts like rice pudding and for pulaos (rice dishes).. they really do add a wonderful flavor.

Black cardamom is a different beast and is not a substitute for the green one

i am sure others have a lot to add here.. Vikram.. I would love to hear your thoughts

As for recipes.. for you, Erin..a personal invitation -- next time you are in town..call me and I will be happy to prepare some food for you!

Wow, Monica, thanks for your swift and detailed response... as well as your kind invitation to a meal. I'm honored to have a chance to learn from you! We probably live about a 20- to 30-minute drive apart, so I'm usually "in town". Anytime you're free, I'm game; I'll bring the cardamom! :biggrin:

Since I happen to be going to an Indian restaurant (Udupi Palace) for dinner tomorrow night, I will ask them where I can find the best basmati for sale so I can make an authentic pilaf as you suggest. I've tried Texmati but was unimpressed, and right now it's the only variety I have on hand. Hopefully there is a local source for the basmati Udupi uses; the grains are longer and more delicate than the other kinds I've tried.

I'd love the no-leaf tea recipe, as well as BBhasin's Ilaichi Gosht recipe if he would be so kind as to share (I Googled the name to no avail). I've made Rogan Gosht before and enjoyed it, but I don't know if it's similar or not.

Erin

There is a recipe in Camellia Panjabi's 50 Great Curries of India for "Meat (lamb) Cooked with Cardamom", which she calls Elaichi Gosht. It calls for 35 green cardamom pods to be ground and blended with water to make a paste. I've never tried the recipe, although her other recipes are usually very good. Also, I always toss in several pods when making scented basmati rice.

edited to add I just read BBhasin's post more carefully and noticed the reference to Ilaichi Gosht...

Edited by AndrewM (log)

Cardamom is also widely used in Scandinavian recipes. I have tasted cardamom jelly and various cakes and baked recipes with cardamom of Scandinavian origin.

You can also use them in large quantities in laddus.

Since I happen to be going to an Indian restaurant (Udupi Palace) for dinner tomorrow night, I will ask them where I can find the best basmati for sale so I can make an authentic pilaf as you suggest. I've tried Texmati but was unimpressed, and right now it's the only variety I have on hand. Hopefully there is a local source for the basmati Udupi uses; the grains are longer and more delicate than the other kinds I've tried.

Erin,

Walk into any Indian grocery store in DC area and you can find good basmati rice. Brands like Lal Quilla, Swad, 817, Kohinoor, Royal, Tilda are all good. Royal is also available at many local Costco and Sams Club warehouses and is much cheaper there.

Enjoy,

Cardamom is also widely used in Scandinavian recipes. I have tasted cardamom jelly and various cakes and baked recipes with cardamom of Scandinavian origin.

Indeed. Cardamom cookies are a Swedish tradition. However, they use only the seeds and not the whole pods in the cookies. I'm guessing that the seeds are usually the only part that's used in Scandinavian cookery; is that true?

Michael aka "Pan"

Since you got saffron along with the cardamom, why not combine the two to make a Maharashtrian keshar-elaich syrup, saffron-cardamom syrup like the ones sold in Bombay. Don't have a recipe since I buy it from Maharashtrian areas like Dadar, but I guess its simply a matter of making a syrup and letting plenty of saffron and cardamom infuse. The syrup is a reddish-gold colour and has a wonderfully cooling taste.

I use it to make my own version of kahwa, Kashmiri green tea. Just boil water with several cloves and, if you like, some cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods, but the cloves are what matter. Then when it boils pour it over green tea - don't use the best Chinese green tea, any ordinary green tea will do. After a bit, strain the tea and add some of the saffron-cardamon syrup, flaked almonds and more sugar to taste.

Vikram

I already have simple syrup and green tea on hand, so the saffron/cardamom syrup will be a snap. I didn't know cardamom was popular in Scandinavian cooking; I'm certainly glad to have another reason to buy the Aquavit cookbook now! Deliad, I appreciate the brand recommendations and will certainly visit our neighborhood Indian grocery this weekend to investigate.

Thanks, all!

Erin

Is black cardamom the seeds from inside the pod (i.e., decorticated cardamom) or is it a completely different type thing?  I have a bag of decorticated cardamom; I remember buying it, and it's open (so I've used it), but I have no idea what I used it for.

As Monica indicated, black cardamom is quite different from green cardamom. I think what you are talking about are the black pods from green cardamoms. Here's a link to a website with pictures of black cardamom and green cardamom.

Hope that helps.