• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Media & News DIGEST: Texas 2004

Richard Kilgore

Texas Media DIGEST

Compiled by the eGullet Texas Media Digest Team

Austin: Claire797

Dallas-Ft. Worth: Richard Kilgore

Houston: Fifi (Linda La Rose)

San Antonio: Bob Davis

Check here frequently for links to food articles, essays, columns and reviews published in food media across Texas.

Here are direct links to the food and restaurant review sections of major Texas media. We will add more as we go.

Texas Monthly

Austin

The Austin American-Statesman Food Section

The Austin Chronicle

Dallas-Ft.Worth

The Dallas Morning News Food Section

The Dallas Morning News Friday Guide

Dallas Observer

Ft.Worth Star-Telegram Food Section

Houston

The Houston Chronicle Dining Guide (Fridays)

The Houston Chronicle Food Section (Wednesdays)

Houston Press Dining Section (weekly published on Thurdays)

San Antonio

The San Antonio Express News Food Section

The dining editor is John Griffin, and, since there's no real

restaurant review section, you have to just search for him.

We have started a FOOD MEDIA DIGEST with links to major food media here in Texas. Please PM or email me if we have left anything out. We will add posts with links to specific reviews, articles and recipes on a regular basis.

Brought to you by the eGullet Texas Media DIGEST team:

Austin: Open

Dallas-Ft. Worth: Raynickben

Houston: Foodman (Elie Nassar)

San Antonio: Bob Davis

Media Contact: Richard Kilgore

Edited: 6/23/04 - Update Media DIGEST team list.

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

The Houston Chronicle - Food Section

"2004 food trends"

Sounds Ho-Hum? This is actually a pretty good article on the ethnic market scene in Houston. Janice Shindeler does a good job.

"Getting sheepish about cattle"

She also has some interesting things to say about the cattle biz in Texas.

"Mousy cauliflower dazzles in new dress"

AAAANNNNDDD... Our own Russ Parsons waxes eloquent on cauliflower, a recent vegetable-of-discussion here. The Chronicle has shown great taste and wisdom in picking up a Parsons article. :biggrin:

All in all, a better than normal day for the Wednesday Food Section.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The Houston Press - Dining

"Totemic Burger"

Ok all you burger freaks... heads up for a Robb Walsh find. Having just read this I fear for my keyboarj gklsglslhkfg jslsal fjljlkgn.

*wiping away droolings*

(Ok. Back in business.) Given Robb's interesting way with words, you may have visions of him bowing down before a burger or something. But, you will be wrong. I will give you a hint. "Totemic" has no relationship to any religious objects or Native American beliefs. And there is a bit of history in there, too.

"Bring on the Bovine"

And Robb also explores Houstonians' reaction to the mad cow mess. No surprises here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The Houston Chronicle - Dining Guide

"Fluffed up"

WTF? OK. This is a new problem that I didn't know we had. Fear of napkin lint? Some people need to get more things to worry about. :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Austin Food Media Notes

submitted by claire797

From the Lemon Semifreddo at Asti to Baleine Sel de Mer Fin. The Austin Chronicle does its "Year in Food".

Austin Chronicle's Year In Food

Meanwhile, Virgina B. Wood ponders what she'd like to see in the upcoming year.

Virgina Wood says.....

Kitty Crider gives her take on what's out and what's in.

Trends for the new year

Meanwhile, Texas Monthly says The Granite Cafe's rock solid, Starlite is fading and they're warming up to the new Cafe Caprice on W. 10th. TM's new and updated reviews for January 2004

Texas Monthly's picks and pans for January

Austin Homesteader picks the best pies of 2003

http://www.austinhomesteader.com/pierecipies.htm

Plus, a review of the relatively new Greek restaurant, Pyramids

http://www.austinhomesteader.com/pyramids.htm

"Fluffed up"

WTF? OK. This is a new problem that I didn't know we had. Fear of napkin lint? Some people need to get more things to worry about. :blink:

Biga (in San Antonio) offers a black napkin if you are wearing black.

It's a nice touch.

Dallas Morning News Food Editor Dottie Griffith picks her top ten restaurants of 2003. With alternative picks by DMN food writers Teresa Gubbins and Kim Harwell. Plus a list of other "notables". And more.

The Houston Chronicle - Food Section

Texas known for its red grapefruit

This is a really interesting article on our red grapefruit. Janice Schindeler continues to show promise.

Let Jalapeño Brownies pique your taste buds

Actually, this recipe is somewhat intriguing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

And Then There Was One

Who knew that Tony was a sell-out to the evil Fertitta empire. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Sino-Tex :blink:

Leave it to Robb to find the bizarre in our fair town. (Actually, I am kinda curious.)

No glitz, just comfort

Alison does another steak house, O'Rourke's. If this keeps up, the poor lady will be mooin' and chewin'.

Taco Bell leaps on health train with 'fresco-style' food

Our own Drive-thru Gourmet (Ken Hoffman) has been reporting on "healthy" fast food lately. You can check out his other forays by clicking on the links in the left column. Ken is a pretty funny guy but I'll bet he can't precipitate a gazillion page discussion thread. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The Houston Chronicle - Cooking

Hong Kong Market

This column was entirely too short and I would have liked more pictures. There is one interesting piece of information...

Stacked end to end, can to can, tin to tin, covering the 150,000 square-foot grocery store, ingredients come from not only China but also Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan, Korea, India and the Philippines.

The 150,000 sqft monster is the one on Bellaire.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Warming Up for Kickoff

As you might suspect, the restaurants are getting ready for the big game. This is a first for Houston so it is interesting to see how they are adapting.

"Saturday night reservations are flying off the hook. It's crazy," Zula's Edwards says. "It's like New Year's Eve and the millennium on acid."

I think that I will now retire to my cozy cubby under my rock. :raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

D Magazine -- February 2004

"The Ultimate Guide To Food" in the February issue of D Magazine. (The January cover is still showing on the website as of today, and I am not sure when it rolls over.)

It's worth picking up the February issue for this spread edited by Nancy Nichols, with reporting by Julie Blacklidge, Brittany Edwards, Ryan Mendenhall, Spencer Michlin, and Troy Slonecar. While they do not provide a great deal of detail, they do a good job of providing an overview of some of the great food sources in the DFW area. They cover

Meat Markets and Butchers

Fish Markets

Ethnic Markets

Cheese Purveyors and Makers

Bakeries

Wine Shops

Try these Tex-Mex favorites

Predictable. But the article does give a pretty good list of what is available with some useful descriptions.

There is a surprisingly low key approach to food in the local papers in connection with all of the other Superbowl hype. It is there, just not as much as I expected.

Dining in The Houston Press appears to have gone missing. What's up with that?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The Houston Chronicle - Food

Spend time, not money, on meals with budget-friendly braising

Not exactly high culinary art, but braising turns out some delicious eats. It is also timely given the discussion lately on dutch ovens here. Besides, a lot of our friends to the north are still freezing their whatevers off. There really isn't a whole lot new here as to technique but there is an interesting recipe from Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Mark Bittman.

A Fort Bend festival

An interesting update on the Fort Bend festival. This one continues to look more and more interesting.

Raw Weather

Our own Robb Wash speaks eloquently on the subject of eating oysters in a month with an "R".

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I heard that Tyler Florence was going to be spending several days in our fair city, Austin, taping shows for his new season. Heard that it was mentioned in the Statesman.

Anyone else know anything about this?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Virginia Woods of the Austin Chronicle gives Central Texas a "heads up": this time, we're on the Travel Channel.

We're On TV

It's not too early to think about attending the Saveur Texas Hill Country Wine and Food Festival.

Hill Country Food and Wine Festival

Edited by foodie52 (log)

Cupid Plays the Odds

Although our own Robb Walsh is deeply involved in his own Q&A he has found time to scout out promising places for that perfect Valentine interlude. It is probably a good thing, too... given his choice of the horse track last year. :blink:

And while the bright fluorescent lighting made it much easier to read the handicaps, it certainly wasn't very romantic. I still think my sales pitch -- "a fun, kooky way to spend a meaningless Hallmark-created holiday" -- might have gone over if we'd picked the right ponies.

Psst... Robb... I don't think the right ponies would have helped.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

On the D Magazine website, publisher Wick Allison links readers to eGullet and the Round Table and Q & A featuring Texas food writer Robb Walsh. Wick's comments are in the Frontburner, a D Mag editorial discussion forum.

The current (February 2004) issue of D Magazine features heavy front page coverage of the Dallas food scene.

Cafe Annie loses Berryhill

Robert del Grande is losing his main man to South Carolina. Our loss, their gain. The buzz about town is where the famous Cafe Annie will end up since the shopping center has been sold and a high rise is destined for the property.

Yia Yia: Greek that's sure to be a classic

Alison Cook looks in on a new Pappas venture. The Pappas family doing Greek? What a concept! And, what a venue.

It was as if a visiting sorcerer had decided to play a great Houston joke. Bandera goes Greek! Why not?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Announcement

New Members of the Texas Media DIGEST Team

Foodie52 -- Austin

Raynickben -- DFW

Thanks to both members for helping us to continue and expand our DIGEST coverage. :biggrin:

RK

Announcement

New members of the Texas Food Media DIGEST Team:

Austin: Foodie52

DFW: Raynickben

Thanks for helping to continue and expand our tracking and reporting of interesting Texas food media articles, columns, reviews and recipes.

Richard

The Dallas Morning News: Texas Taste

Long on Flavor: Short Ribs

Marc Cassel, chef of the Green Room says, Short ribs "are what we chefs love to eat". Find out why in this article by Tina Danze. Suggestions from chefs, recipes, and tips on cooking short ribs are all here.

American Pie

Author Peter Reinhart's latest book "American Pie" recounts his quest for "the perfect pizza". He's teaching a pizza-making class at Sur La Table and holding a book signing at Arcodoro & Pomodoro. Details listed in this article by Tina Danze.

and finally we have Desserts To Go at the Adolphus

Susan Taylor presents us with the mouth-watering news that the Adolphus Hotel now offers their desserts To Go. Check out the choices (and the prices!).

The Houston Chronicle - Food

Cinderella suppers - Dinner Doctor transforms convenience foods into mealtime magic

ANOTHER ONE! *runs screaming from the room*

In her latest cookbook, The Dinner Doctor (Workman, $14.95) Byrn takes convenience foods such as prepared potato salad, frozen bread dough and canned tomato sauce and makes fast, delicious recipes by adding a few ingredients.

Though I have heard that her cake books are pretty ok.

And a little eye candy for the guys.

Venezuelan native, belly dancer, chef and banker

heh heh... You have to click on the link to find out more. :raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"