• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can a foodie keep Kosher?

JFLinLA

I wonder if it could be argued that the evolution of modern orthodox kashruth into a set of rules that reads like the tax laws is really the natural outgrowth of trends in the food supply. A hundred years ago most food was still being provided through very few steps in distribution from farm to table. There wasn't much processing. The need for supervision especially in insular communities would have been low. Today, food routinely travels thousands of miles through multiple processing plants and distribution points before it reaches the consumer. We have no idea who grew or produced what we buy in the supermarket. Thus in order to keep up with this fundamental change, there needed to be a fundamental change in the way supervision was conducted.

That theory would not cover the revival of esoteric in-home regulations, but it would help to explain the general change that Wesza was talking about regarding supervision.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

As an aside, I will say that Morningstar brand non-meat products are pretty good approximations.  The Big Grillers taste frightengly like a hamburger, or will do with a  little seasoning when I need a sausage egg and cheese sandwich fix.

Sorry, but according to some that is non-kosher (Hashek h'goy?), since some hold that imitation food has to be treated as the original, otherwise it might deceive people into thinking that the original can be eaten.

Thus imitation bacon can never be kosher.

True, but for many it is still an option. I offered this as a suggestion for people who follow a similar level of Kashrut as I do.

That is a very interesting rule seeing that I often purchase "Beef Fry" at our Glatt Kosher butcher which is certainly a Beef version of bacon.

So imitation bacon is an option (just not for consumption with cheese in this case), perhaps the nuance of the law is crossing milk/meat categories.

Jewish law is not my strength, the level of Kashrut I follow is dictated by my wife's needs.

Msk

Msk: The Seattle Vad is unusual that it Orthradox with Member ship includading the Chabad. They do their best to oversea any business they supervise regarding Kashruth for the highest standards.

One of their earliest customers was a Chinese Buddest operated "Vegan" Restaurant that specializes in making many dishes that taste, look and mimic other types of non vegan foods including meat and fish items.

If there was any question of customers being decieved they would not be as successfull as they have during the past 9 years.

Could be that they take into consideration the "vegan" Foods have been traditionally served for more years in this manner they we've had Kosher Supervision.

Every Kosher Dairy Restaurant has served "Vegeterian Chopped Liver" and several other types of copy cat items as well forever.

Irwin :blink::biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 1 month later...

Kosher Cooking Goes Gourmet

Thought I'd revive this thread to point out this story from Thursday the 18th on NPR's All Things Considered about the Kosher Culinary Academy (good alliteration).

The first full-time kosher cooking school in the world has opened in Jerusalem. Organizers say the kosher restaurant market is expanding rapidly and there is a need for qualified chefs. The students learn to cook gourmet food that conforms to all of the restrictions of Jewish law, such as a complete separation of meat and dairy dishes. NPR's Linda Gradstein reports.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

I noticed this in today's JTA World Report (Jewish Telegraphic Agency) and thought I'd post it here:

"Kosher chefs get school

There's a new school for kosher chefs in Israel. The Kosher Culinary Academy, which opened for classes Sunday, is based at the Holyland Hotel in Jerusalem.

The 10-month, full-time curriculum -- only open to men at this point -- is in English. The academy plans to open a professional course for women, as well as classes for beginners, later in the year. More information is available at www.kosherculinaryacademy.com"

Apparently there are quite a few people who think one can indeed be a foodie while keeping kosher. I don't know anything about it (being a foodie, that is :smile:). (BTW -- if this infringes on any copyright laws, etc., just delete it.)

I just figured I'd repeat this post from earlier in the thread. 'Cuz I posted it, and I figure it's referring to the same school (there can't be two). :wink: