• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Fast Food Sandwich

SobaAddict70

Has anyone tried the McDonald's new Philly Cheesesteak? I'm just curious about it...

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

If fast means I call and they bring it to me in ten minutes then I say the cuban sandwich with everything on it from the Maybar Cafe in the south bronx.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

when i was little it was roy's. my mom used to work across the street from the one on upper wisconsin in DC...i think it's a mcdonalds now. roast beef sandwich. they used to add a little juice to the bun - and it was rosy - not rare but good. the best part about the whole experience was the condiment bar. horseradish mayo & as many pickles as i could heap onto the bun. divine.

only ate at arby's once - we all refer to it as the green meat incident. we were in florida and in order to avoid my grandmother's cooking ate just before we got to her house. my mom, sister and i all had roast beef and cheese sandwiches. the meat was so cottony - my sister opened her bun to look at it to make sure it was meat - it was green - not just slightly irridescent but GREEN. :shock: we all looked at our respective sandwiches and saw they were the same. never had the urge to try arby's again.

i used to love big macs - until i found the whopper. i also used to love the original mcchicken. last week i had my first fast food in a long time. there is truly little in this world more comforting than sharing 2 orders of large fries (+ bbq sauce) with someone you love while very drunk. (BK - MCD's was closed)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

only ate at arby's once - we all refer to it as the green meat incident. we were in florida and in order to avoid my grandmother's cooking ate just before we got to her house. my mom, sister and i all had roast beef and cheese sandwiches. the meat was so cottony - my sister opened her bun to look at it to make sure it was meat - it was green - not just slightly irridescent but GREEN. :shock: we all looked at our respective sandwiches and saw they were the same.

Happy St. Patrick's Day?

I'm shocked the lack of mention for the Mcdonald's regular cheeseburger. I can't really classify it as a burger- it's kind of it's own category. It's more of a junky snack than a sandwich. I have such a hard time eating a "big" burger because of the gross gorged feeling you get when you've uncotrollably finished the whole thing. The way those McD cheeseburgers are all sealed up from being microwaved, kind of like a bierrock with condiments inside, perfect little packages. All you really taste is the mustard, pickle and those tasty little rehydrated onions. I'm salivating just thinking about it. Fast food is usually only on my menu when traveling and McD's cheeseburgers never foul your fingers while driving. Very important! Any excuse to eat some McD's fries.

RM

I have a friend who loved the 99 cent whopper w/ cheese but didn't want to pay the extra 35 cents for the cheese so he kept a package of Kraft singles in his glove compartment.  Thanks to all the preservatives the things lasted weeks without refrigeration and he got cheap, tasty cheeseburgers.

:biggrin: I've heard of ketchup packets but NEVER cheese.

"What's that smell?" "Oh, it must be the cheese I have in the glove box."

-t

The OP said "Package" and not "packet". The Kraft cheese slices he was using on his burger come individually wrapped in plastic. Then the slices also get wrapped in a plastic package. To further confuse you, Kraft actually *does* have cheese in a "packet" and it comes with their Deluxe Mac and "Cheese." :raz:

only ate at arby's once - we all refer to it as the green meat incident. we were in florida and in order to avoid my grandmother's cooking ate just before we got to her house. my mom, sister and i all had roast beef and cheese sandwiches. the meat was so cottony - my sister opened her  bun to look at it to make sure it was meat - it was green - not just slightly irridescent but GREEN. :shock: we all looked at our respective sandwiches and saw they were the same.

Happy St. Patrick's Day?

:biggrin:

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

McDonalds- Grilled Chicken Sandwich (no mayo) or a hamburger because there's hardly any meat (I like burgers like this, strange I know :huh: )

Wendy's- Spicy Chicken Sandwich (no mayo)

Burger King- It's not a sandwich but I love their chicken tenders; chicken mcnuggets from McD's are GROSS!

McD's Chicken Fajita -- a couple of them would qualify as a sandwich.

Sbarro's Philly CheeseSteak ----- if you hold it right, you can eat it as a sandwich. ( it's really stuffed pizza --does that count?)

another nod to Wendy's Spicy Chicken...

Blimpie's Chicken Patty with american cheese and hot peppers.

I loved Ranch 1's spicy chicken sandwich (best fries ever, too) but the chain seems to be disappearing from NYC.

I was visiting family in the U.A.E. last month, and my sister insisted on McDonalds at some point. She came home with a large order of fries and two McArabias. WTF?Apparently, McD's clever marketing tactic for catering to all of the locals who shun the place. Utterly ineffective, though.

By the way, it is composed of grilled chicken with tomato, lettuce, onion etc., stuffed into a round pita and then packaed in a paper envelope (just like the apple pies used to be, but larger).

1) Egg McMuffin

2) Hardees Hot Ham & Cheese - used to be the roast beef, but the Hardees stores around here stopped carrying them.

And now into the Wayback Machine a la Sherman and Mr. Peabody

3) Burger Chef Big Chef - it was a sad day when Hardees bought BC out

4) Rax BBC - although there are still a few Rax stores, mostly in Ohio, there's none closer than 3 1/2 hours from me

3) The Mcdonalds ill-fated McDLT

My first job was at McDonalds in the prime of the McDLT's life and this was, hands -down, my favorite break food--no doubt because I (or a buddy at the grill) could make one up fresh and avoid the inevitable damage the heat lamp did to the L and the T.

I guess I miss these too.

Nevertheless, there's a kind of purity to be found in the Quarter Pounder. When the onions are crisp and the cheese is melted and the ketchup is at a bare minimum, it's a fine burger. Of course being flanked on one side by a really cold soda and on the other side by McD's fries doesn't hurt it any.

Edited by flybottle (log)

I second the In-N-Out burger people. They're only good when they are extremely hot though. So only go when the drive-thru line is a mile long (not hard to find one).

...but they're always hot. All their burgers are made to order. That's why the lines are so long.

Worth the wait, though... :rolleyes:

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau

• 1 month later...

Today I must concur with many on this thread that Arby's KICKS ASS.

Sure, their meat is totally processed. Yes its got more sodium in it than a salt lick. But come on, their condiments rule.

I hadn't been to one in many years. JHlurie and I were doing some shopping (Rachel was doing some girly stuff that day, so we went our separate ways) at the Palisades Center Mall in NY last weekend, and we noticed that there was a Brand Spanking New Arby's in the food court. We had originally planned to eat at Johnny Rockets and grab a burger, but the place was packed and the staff was disco dancing, so we headed upstairs.

The Big Montana rules. Half a pound of processed paper thin sliced steakum-type meat, on really fresh jumbo hamburger rolls with accompanying totally fake processed and mega sodium laced fake au jus/bouillion stuff that you dip your sandwich in. And they keep a urn of it piping hot up on the counter where you can take as much as you want from a SPIGOT. This, combined with Horsey Sauce (I think some food and flavorings engineer should get a nobel prize for formulating this some 30 years ago) and their Tangy Barbeque Sauce (another brilliant chemical compound) and accompanied by Onion Petals (these things are remarkably good), is a meal fit for a ghetto lord.

The best part was taking all that tangy barbeque sauce and horsey sauce packets home.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You know, in between this thread and Jon's chicken sandwich thread, and even though lunch was a chicken sandwich, I find myself having a hankering for Burger King's old style chicken sandwich (with cheese):

filet chicken, breaded and deep fried, served on a toasted long roll, slathered with mayo and served with lettuce, tomato and sometimes sliced American cheese.

Even better with bacon. :biggrin:

Now, if only I could find a BK on my way home.

Soba

Hardee's 1/3 pound "Thick Burger" with bacon -- Hardee's has really improved their burgers.

The Husband and I love the commercials for the Thick Burgers.

For those that have never seen them, they're in black in white, done confessional style. There's an "everyman", usually a construction worker type, speaking into the camera in this really strong NC accent. And it's all about how embarrassed they are to be eating at Hardees, or how everyone at the job site was pissed off because the new guy bought a sack full of Hardees for them for lunch. Until they try the burgers, and everbody agrees that they hate to admit it, but:

"It was purty good"

Holy crap we love those commericals. I actually bought a thick...burger??? a couple of months ago because of the cult status The Husband and I have given the commericals. And I hate to admit it, but it was purty good.

For my usual once in a while fix, I either eat a McD's Quarter Pounder w/Cheese (extra onions and ketchup) or a Chick-fil-A, no butter with ketchup. I eat Taco Bell bean burrito, no cheese w/fire sauce every couple of weeks.

Gourmet Anarchy