• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Fast Food Sandwich

SobaAddict70

Hardee's had a burger called the 6 Dollar Burger, because it was like a burger you'd get in a real restaurant--thick, with everything on it. Is that like the Thick Burgers you're talking about? I don't live near a Hardee's anymore so I don't know.

I also go for Wendy's chicken sandwich with cheese, and I usually like their specialty sandwiches, like the current one with the spicy sauce, bacon and cheese. I always get the chicken though, not the burger.

I don't know the differences between the usual chains to give a educated answer. I'm not a hamburger enthusiast anyway, but when MacDonald came out with Fahitas, thats all I want! At least three of them at one time, as they are not very big. They are easy to eat, when I am driving.

Oops -- I forgot Sbarros. Does that count? I like their Philly Cheesesteak Pizza.

My favorite of the biggies is the Big Bacon Classic from Wendy's. And the Sausage Biscuits from McDs.

And I too miss my hungover Sundays with a McDLT, large fries and a Large Coke. The combination of the sandwich and salt and the thick straws and the sugar and caffeine from the Coke were better than four Tylenol the morning after.

On the smaller chain level, I would go with a double cheeseburger from Steak and Shake or a regular roast beef sandwich from Lion's Choice with Horseradish and BBQ sauce.

Its nice to see a thread on here that isn't slamming fast food. Sometimes I get the sense that I am the only one around here who actually occasionally enjoys salt and grease with lots of Ketchup.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

I forgot one. Mr. Sub's hot roast beef sandwich, no cheese. Putting cheese on roast beef is just -- wrong somehow :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Most fast-food sandwiches I can take or leave; they're food-as-fuel rather than food-for-enjoyment, except for two holdovers from childhood:

1) Krystals with cheese. *burp* Frozen White Castles are not an acceptable substitute, as they have neither pickles nor mustard, and it doesn't taste the same if you put the condiments on afterward. And why are there holes punched in the White Castle patties anyway? :huh:

2) Hardee's Roast Beef. I don't know if they still do this, but they used to put a little scoop of gravy-like substance on the bun before the meat went on - it'd soak in just right. Arby's is the closest I can get around DC, but it's not the same without the brown stuff.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

And why are there holes punched in the White Castle patties anyway? :huh:

Caught this on one of the Food Network history/schlock shows.

THe original owner (can't recall name) found that the burger with the holes cooked more quickly than a solid burger. Faster cooking = more sales.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Also, it's not TECHNICALLY a sandwich, but I may be the last person on earth who loves Taco Bell's bean burritos. I was at a very low-paying singing gig last spring, and when we ran low on $$ before the next payday, we'd stock up on those puppies. They used to have a Grilled Steak Burrito, too, that was delish.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The only fast food sandwiches I like come from Schlotzkys!

The bread makes it. I can't stand the soft puffy white crap at burger joints or even subway. For me, the Schlotzsky's has the perfect bread to other stuff ratio. I did sourdough in a major way. Its nice, chewy, tangy, sometimes spicy. Its nice that it comes with your choice of goodies inside too! :biggrin:

Its the only chain that tempts me, draws me in with a siren's call and a promise of some of the best salt and vinegar chips on the side.

I suppose quizno's would be a distant second choice. They are, in my opinion far superior to subway but not on par with Schlotzskys.

Edited by nessa (log)

In-N-Out burgers.

The best.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Also, it's not TECHNICALLY a sandwich, but I may be the last person on earth who loves Taco Bell's bean burritos. I was at a very low-paying singing gig last spring, and when we ran low on $$ before the next payday, we'd stock up on those puppies. They used to have a Grilled Steak Burrito, too, that was delish.

K

taco bell bean burrito is great! Now you can get it fresca style which takes away the cheese which somehow you dont miss and it adds a tomato, onion and cilantro salsa that really takes it to another level....all part of their campaign to seem low fat!

on the subject of taco bell though, the mexican pizza is the king of fast food!

those delectable BK sandwiches with burgers, cheese, BBQ sauce and bacon.  Can't remember their names, but those were GOOOOOOOOOD.

I loved those too Soba.

Bullseye Barbecue Burger? I think there was another name too before it was using the Bullseye sauce.

Wendy's is my Burger Chain of choice though I try not to eat fast food.

I'll go with the Sausage Egg and Cheese Biscuit too. Hell I'll eat anything put on a good biscuit.

Chix-Fil-A is also a great spot as far as the lesser available chains go.

Msk

I suppose quizno's would be a distant second choice. They are, in my opinion far superior to subway but not on par with Schlotzskys.

I love Schlotzsky's and agree with the comparison. But I don't consider it fast food because it took us up to 10 minutes or even more sometimes to get your sandwich, even in drive through. My fiance ended up hating going there because he didn't like it that much to begin with and the wait just made it worse. Then a Quiznos opened nearby (this was in Tennessee). And the Schlotzsky's was replaced by a Starbucks with a drive through. :biggrin:

We're still waiting for a Quiznos to open closer to New Bedford than Providence. The one in Prov. told us about a year ago they were going to open one in NB but it hasn't happened yet.

Also, it's not TECHNICALLY a sandwich, but I may be the last person on earth who loves Taco Bell's bean burritos.  I was at a very low-paying singing gig last spring, and when we ran low on $$ before the next payday, we'd stock up on those puppies.  They used to have a Grilled Steak Burrito, too, that was delish.

K

Not quite the last person! I love these too! Put a little hot sauce on the inside, mmmmm! :raz:

I have a hard time resisting Culver's Butter Burger Deluxe. It's become my favorite stop when I'm driving to Chicago from St. Paul. :wub:

All Right --- Gonna Fly the flag for the great PNW....A freshly made Special or Deluxe from Dick's in Seattle, (and, unfortunately for the rest of the USA, in Seattle ONLY) Rocks. Burgerville USA has its fans out here as well, but for a cheap, quick, (and, ok, I'll admit it...greasy) burger, Mmmmmmm.....Dick's.....

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Funny how no one has mentioned Croissanwiches (sp) yet.

I thought these were pretty good (altho barely comparable to McMuffins).

Thoughts?

Soba

edit: sure we can expand the concept to include Taco Bell burritos and Burritoville/Subway/Blimpie's. In fact, anything out there in a fast food chain franchise qualifies as long as it is some sort of offering that includes a filling between one or two layers of bread (yes, pita pockets included as well as tortilla wraps and tandoori breads). Even McDonald's sorry versions of fajitas qualify. (I'd take Taco Bell over theirs any day, and that's saying a lot!)

Go ahead, post away!

Soba,

IMHO the biscuits are 1000x better than the croissants. Those things are horrendous. Once they are heated or even just have hot stuff put on them, they become very unfortunately soggy. I always found the muffins to be too salty. And if memory serves me right, McD's has even occasionally tried bagels. Ugh.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

1) Egg McMuffin - only fast food offering for which I will go out of my way and eat regularly (once a month)

2) Rally's Spicy Chicken

3) Rally burger

Rally's is much cheaper than all the other chains around here, but the burgers are usually juicier, more flavourful and the veggies are fresher.