• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Fast Food Sandwich

SobaAddict70

Johnny Rocket's Original with extra pickles. With fries or onion rings, and a real cherry or vanilla Coke. Or a real chocolate milkshake. The only Johnny Rocket's anywhere near us is in an outlet mall 30 miles away, so I have one about twice a year.

If I have to do regular fast food, it's either Taco Hell's bean burritos with no onion, or Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich.

For time machine sandwiches, I gotta go with the Double R Bar Burger mentioned above, or the ill-fated Chicken Littles from Kentucky Fried Chicken. BTW, Holly, all of the Roy Rogers around DC have been turned into McDonalds. I think it really is defunct.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I like the 99 cent spicy chicken sandwich from Carl's Jr. (We had Hardees here but they all changed to Carl's Jr, so they might be the same thing, although they do not do roast beef, but do have the six dollar burgers I saw mentioned). They really do have good value for money. I also like the croissanwiches from Burger King, especially when they are 2 for $2. ;) I guess I'm cheap!

Count me as a Sausage McMuffin fan. It's the only fast food item I will crave and really hits the spot on cold days. I don't go for the biscuit or BK croissanwich type; the McMuffin is already perfectly greasy so if I added another element of fat into it it would just be too gross.

McRibs are almost always available at the McDonalds a block down the street from my office. I don't really care for them, however.

Are those ribs pulled or chopped? :laugh:

Or pressed? :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Johnny Rocket's Original with extra pickles. With fries or onion rings, and a real cherry or vanilla Coke. Or a real chocolate milkshake. The only Johnny Rocket's anywhere near us is in an outlet mall 30 miles away, so I have one about twice a year.

If I have to do regular fast food, it's either Taco Hell's bean burritos with no onion, or Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich.

For time machine sandwiches, I gotta go with the Double R Bar Burger mentioned above, or the ill-fated Chicken Littles from Kentucky Fried Chicken. BTW, Holly, all of the Roy Rogers around DC have been turned into McDonalds. I think it really is defunct.

Heather -

Johnny Rockets is a good one. Isn't the one at Pentagon City a little closer than that for you?

Also there is a Roy's in Leesburg, but that IS far for you.

Bill Russell

While Roy is chasing dogies across the sky, his namesake restaurant and the Double R Bar Burger are still riding the range on earth, though not in the Philadelphia/NY area.

Where are there any left? I thought they went under.

Living hard will take its toll...

those delectable BK sandwiches with burgers, cheese, BBQ sauce and bacon. Can't remember their names, but those were GOOOOOOOOOD.

I think it was the rodeo burger, it also had two fried onionrings.

This is going to sound strange but Boca Burger (vegetarian) makes a really good McRib like product that I think are called Riblets.

I have seen the real deal in trays of 6 in the frozen food section. Blue ribbon or some such brand. I will check the name. It’s one of those companies that specialize in “family” dinners. Here in the Midwest they run advertisements featuring Al from Happy Days. I think banquet makes a version too.

While Roy is chasing dogies across the sky, his namesake restaurant and the Double R Bar Burger are still riding the range on earth, though not in the Philadelphia/NY area.

Where are there any left? I thought they went under.

Not all gone. You can still find them in the rest stops on I 95 in Maryland, off of a couple of the northernmost exits of I 270, also there are a couple off of I 70 in Maryland. You can find a few throughout western PA and Ohio.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Egg McMuffin

Wendy's Big Bacon Deluxe

Ah, the old Roy Rogers' Double R Burger...

All of the Hardee's have disappeared from the D.C. area. :angry: I REALLY loved their ham & cheese on a squishy bun. The family tradition was to stop on the way home from the beach at the Hardee's that was just over the Bay Bridge and get ham & cheeses and salty greasy fries. It was just the way the salty ham mixed with the gooey white American cheese all smushed into the squishy bun, all hot & melty. Sigh.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Hardee's has come up out of the ashes (or back into the ashes?) by char broiling their burgers. They have slashed their menu to get back to the basics that gave them their start. No more chicken, no more roast beef. Their breakfasts IMO have always been the best and now the burgers just might be.

Hardee's Six Dollar Burger

Hardee's Thick Burgers

Hardee's Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit

Arby's Hot Ham and Swiss Sub

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

I have never been to Hardee's for breakfast, but now I see I have to go.

My favorites:

1 and 2. Chik Fil-A chicken sandwich AND their fabulous breakfast sandwich. I don't know how they get their scrambled eggs so fluffy and moist and delish in a fast food place. Good bacon, great biscuit. Mmm. Since I moved away from Houston to St. Paul, MN I've been suffering withdrawal. If these aren't as good as they used to be, please don't tell me. I want to hold on to the memory.

3. Culver's Butter Burger Deluxe

Tastes as close to a home(or restaurant)-grilled burger as you can get without grilling at home.

4. McDonald's bacon, egg and cheese biscuit

Can I take this international? In Johannesburg, South Africa, a shwarma from Anat - you choose your toppings, start with tomato - onion mix, tahini, pickled eggplant and go from there.

Uh oh, I may have to plan another trip

Eegee's. They make the very BEST Italian grinders on the planet.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That all changed in 1970 or so when Arby's switched to a chopped, pressed roast held together with a binding compound. Salty, suspicious texture and and well done.

Maybe that explains my one and only Arby's experience, a few years back on the road in Ohio. Driving to Chicago with a couple of friends, we stopped to eat at an Arby's, and I had this "sandwich" with "fries" and "coffee." I remember sitting there, and we were putting the "food" into our mouths, chewing, swallowing, and so on, but completely without the normal sensations of eating. There was no taste. Not bad, not good, nothing at all. We left, not entirely sure we'd had lunch. It was kind of surreal.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Hardee's had a burger called the Frisco burger or something when I was in college. It was a grilled sourdough burger with bacon and cheese, I believe. It just melted in the mouth.

Oh, then you just have to get yourself to a Steak N Shake. Never tried the frisco burger, because I love the frisco chicken sandwich so much. (Buttered, grilled sourdough bread, grilled chicken breast, Swiss cheese, special sauce).

And their cheese fries ROCK.

http://www.steaknshake.com/default-home.asp

Can I take this international?

OH, in THAT case, Hands down my fav "sandwich" would be the Doner Kebap found on a thousand street corners, and nooks in Germany. Turkish immigrants have really made this popular

Thick flat bread, a slab of feta, real lamb, tomatos, lettuce and a spicy creamy garliky tsatziki like sauce. God help me but I'd swim back to Germany to have another of those. I bet they are even better in Turkey!

Maybe that explains my one and only Arby's experience, a few years back on the road in Ohio. Driving to Chicago with a couple of friends, we stopped to eat at an Arby's, and I had this "sandwich" with "fries" and "coffee." I remember sitting there, and we were putting the "food" into our mouths, chewing, swallowing, and so on, but completely without the normal sensations of eating. There was no taste. Not bad, not good, nothing at all. We left, not entirely sure we'd had lunch. It was kind of surreal.

Yikes. That sounds just awful.

1) In N Out cheeseburger with grilled onions

2) Jack In The Box Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich (not very spicy, but I love them anyway)

3) Arby's hot Ham & Swiss Sub

.....and favorite side of all time, Sonic Chili Cheese tater tots :wub:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Hardee's had a burger called the Frisco burger or something when I was in college.  It was a grilled sourdough burger with bacon and cheese, I believe.  It just melted in the mouth.

Oh, then you just have to get yourself to a Steak N Shake. Never tried the frisco burger, because I love the frisco chicken sandwich so much. (Buttered, grilled sourdough bread, grilled chicken breast, Swiss cheese, special sauce).

Probably won't be any time soon. Like many of these places, they have a hard time getting past the Rockies. However, next time I'm in Texas if I can pull myself away from the Q....

I thought Carl's Jr was the $6 Burger marketers?

Nessa, I second that opinion! :raz: I'm currently in Germany (and will be for another 2 months), and my bf and I have been to several local doner kebap joints. They are all incredibly cheap, considering how fresh all of the ingredients are. And, as a bonus, a lot of them do pretty decent little pizzas, too.

mmm falafel. :wub:

For prices: usually around 2 Euro for a HUGE serving of food.

Hardee's had a burger called the Frisco burger or something when I was in college.  It was a grilled sourdough burger with bacon and cheese, I believe.  It just melted in the mouth.

HOWWWWWW could I have forgotten Steak-n-Shake?????????? I have to go back into drooling mode now, and it's only 9:50 am EST. Steak-n-Shake rocks my world.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous