• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Fast Food Sandwich

SobaAddict70

Or something else?

I remember the first time I had a Big Mac. I was 10 years old at the time. All that cheese, onions and Russian dressing and I thought I was going to hurl.

Now, it's one of my favorite McD's sandwiches when I go to McD's (which is not all that often these days). Big N Tasty burgers (hold the cheese) comes second. McGrill Chicken comes third.

Never been a fan of fried fish sandwiches -- even BK's sandwiches (which you can get any style by having it your way apparently).

Behind McDonald's, Arby's comes a close second with Burger King and Wendy's tied for third place.

So what are your top three places and top three sandwiches?

Ignore the raving foodie behind the curtain. :biggrin:

Soba

I am not sure if this qualifies as a "sandwich" but about the only thing that I would go out of my way for is a well made McD's sausage and biscuit. My neighborhood McD's makes the best. The one near my office, not so hot. The biscuits just don't have that same crunchy, melt on the tongue, crustiness.

Arby's with horsey sauce comes in about 2nd. No fast food hamburgers need apply.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Arbys and McD's bacon and egg mcmuffin. Although I rarely eat at either place.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

McMuffins and McBagels count as sandwiches.

Sure! By all means, please. Although I should note I've never been a fan of any of the chains' breakfast offerings. For me, I'd be happy with just a hashbrown sandwich. :biggrin: But no, alas, such has never been the case.

Soba

Mass Market:

1) Quarter Pounder With Cheese

2) Regular Whopper (off the broiler, hold the mayo)

3) Sausage McMuffin with Egg

Small to Medium Chain:

1) Chick-Fil-A sandwich

2) Nathan's Hamburger

3) White Castles

Local

1) White Manna, Hackensack NJ

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

McDonald's sausage biscuit.

Yeah, I like that one too. The greasyness of the shortening in those biscuits are great.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

1. I'm with y'all, the McDonald's sausage biscuit rocks my world and always has, ever since my best friend and I took a 7:30 am class together in college and would meet every morning at 6:30 at McD's across the street from campus to have breakfast (always sausage biscuits, sometimes hash browns, always tons of either coffee or diet coke).

2. The McDonald's Quarter Pounder with cheese.

3. Any hamburger served at In-n-Out Burger. YUM.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

1.Whopper with everything (no cheese) and onion rings on the side

2. Big Mac, I love these things and eat them the most since I think all the Burger Kings have disappeared from Japan

3. anything from Arby's without cheese

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

McDonald's is supposed to have uniform food all around the world but the McDonald's in Singapore really sucks. UGH

I much prefer Burger King.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Roy Roger's Double R Bar Burger - Quarter Pound Burger, sliced ham and cheese. Some sort of special sauce too, I think. It's been a while.

Even longer - Arby's Original Roast Beef Sandwich - back in the mid 60's. I opened/managed Arby's first franchise operation in Cleveland. We took top rounds - poked them with thermopins so they would cook faster, covered them with suet and roasted to a bloody rare/medium rare. Sliced thin, sprinkled with a mixture of salt and white pepper, and piled high on a buttered, caramelized sesame seed bun. 69 cents each.

We had lines out the door and around the building.

That all changed in 1970 or so when Arby's switched to a chopped, pressed roast held together with a binding compound. Salty, suspicious texture and and well done. Yech. I haven't been back to an Arby's since. I'm surprised so many people think it's good. Guess they've changed. But I'm not going back until they start roasting fresh beef.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Roy Roger's Double R Bar Burger - Quarter Pound Burger, sliced ham and cheese. Some sort of special sauce too, I think. It's been a while.

Ok, if we're gonna include fast food sandwiches that you can only get with a time machine, then I have to say

1) Original Burger King chicken sandwich, circa 1980 or so

2) Roy Rogers double R, gotta agree with that one

3) The Mcdonalds ill-fated McDLT

4) Any Wendys burger, prior to 1990

3) The Mcdonalds ill-fated McDLT

Now that was a good burger! :biggrin:

I cried when it disappeared. :sad:

It was a packaging disaster, but conceptually I liked the idea of last second assemblage of the lettuce and tomato by the end-user.

In execution at most McDonalds it sucked because the "cool" side would heat up under the heat lamps while the burgers were being put out for purchase. However a FRESH specimen was really, really good.

Here's some fan sites:

http://www.bertlesman.com/McDLT.html

http://www.eyrie.org/~frobozz/review/fmmcdlt.html

Speaking of ill-fated sandwiches accessible only via time machine, my stomach goes out to those wonderful McRib sandwiches and those delectable BK sandwiches with burgers, cheese, BBQ sauce and bacon. Can't remember their names, but those were GOOOOOOOOOD.

For a chain sandwich that is.

Soba

Speaking of ill-fated sandwiches accessible only via time machine, my stomach goes out to those wonderful McRib sandwiches and those delectable BK sandwiches with burgers, cheese, BBQ sauce and bacon. Can't remember their names, but those were GOOOOOOOOOD.

For a chain sandwich that is.

Soba

Soba,

get your plane ticket ready

McRib is alive and well in Japan!

http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/sales/promotion_h_f.html

It makes an appearance a couple times a year.

lately (past few years) i've been liking most sandwiches from Checkers.

McGriddles are my fav McBreakfast sammie now, too.

I always did like Roy's Bacon Cheeseburger, for a larger chain place.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Royal Burger Special: 1/4 lb flame broiled burger, 1/4 lb griddled pastrami, bacon, cheese, and whatever condiments and produce on a toasted sesame seed bun. Damn! In Utah of all places. I don't know if it's just a local chain, but they all seemed to be run by Pakistanis. Only burger I ever truly loved.

Hardee's had a burger called the Frisco burger or something when I was in college. It was a grilled sourdough burger with bacon and cheese, I believe. It just melted in the mouth.

99 cent whopper. I much prefer flame-broling and the 99 cent whopper helped me to balloon to over 300 lbs in college.

btw, Soba, I don't think that's Russian dressing on those sandwiches. It's special sauce most closely resembling thousand-island. Americans put 3 sauces on anything and everything: 1) Ranch, 2) Cheese, 3) Thousand Island. The first is fat and salt with a little tanginess. The second is fat and salt with a little msg. The third is fat and sugar with a little tanginess (ketchup and mayo).

Nothing green would be eaten without the existence of these sauces in the US, I think.

I like this place called MOS burger

they sell BBQ Eel burgers (Unagi) that are GOOOOOD

there's also seafood kariage burger which is shrimp and scallops deepfried in batter served on rice buns

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I like this place called MOS burger

they sell BBQ Eel burgers (Unagi) that are GOOOOOD

there's also seafood kariage burger which is shrimp and scallops deepfried in batter served on rice buns

MOS burger, yummm!

This Japanese chain is so good it has it's own thread!

the MOS burger thread

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=20990

Speaking of ill-fated sandwiches accessible only via time machine, my stomach goes out to those wonderful McRib sandwiches

McDonald's likes to tease so I've seen them in the past couple years as "limited time only" sandwiches

This is going to sound strange but Boca Burger (vegetarian) makes a really good McRib like product that I think are called Riblets. yes it's vegetarian but it was 99 cents a box so I tried it. It was really good, but of course, not exactly McRiblike as in less fat. When you think about it, the McRib is so processed, you really can't tell if it's meat or not anyway. I'm definitely not a vegetarian, but for a quick McRib fix, the Boca Burger's Riblets was the ticket.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Ooh Ooh Ooh Mr. Kotter!!!!

Fast food is a bad addiction of mine. I just love fries (McD's of course)

For breakfast the McD's sausage and egg biscuit wins hands down.

For other meals --

1) Roy Rogers roast beef

2) Wendy's Junior Bacon Cheeseburger (I generally take off the tomato and wipe most of the mayo off)

If you're lucky enough to be in certain locales --

1) Pittsburgh - The Original (aka Dirty O) for hot dogs and one of their giant buckets of fries

2) DC - For burgers 2 words -- "Five Guys" . Try it once and you won't want to go back to national chains.

3) Chicago (Evanston actually and I don't even know if it is still open) -- Buffalo Joe's -- burger, waffle fries, and the best wings outside of upstate NY.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I don't eat them very often, but.....

I do like Sausage McMuffins

Rally's (local chain in San Diego and New Orleans only, I think) Bacon Double Cheeseburger

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...