• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1998 d'Angelo Canneto

futronic

This was served with a lovely slow cooked Frenched pork roast on Saturday. I wanted to give the Canneto a try after the wonderful showing of d'Angelo's normale Aglianico a couple months ago. I should have waited - it wasn't giving up anything compared to what it was on release.

$23CAD on release a couple years ago

From Basilicata

100% Aglianico (although some sources say there is 30% Merlot - I don't see it)

Medium-ruby red with orange tinges to the rim. Lots of pretty teardrop legs. Aromas of tar, rose petals, cherries, lavender, and grilled meat. Medium-bodied with tar, cherries and anise. Initially a short finish, lengthed with time, ~ 35-40s, after a couple hours in a decanter.

Not giving up much right now on the palate. I'll let my remaining bottles sleep for another couple years before opening. 86 points (01/03/2004).

I have a few bottles of the 1997 still and I love em when they are open very dissapointed once finished. :biggrin:

Cheers.

PS. They cost a few more $$$ in Vancouver :angry::sad:

slowfood/slowwine