• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2000 Maculan Torcolato

futronic

This is one of Maculan's sweet wines, and hands down the best dessert wine I've ever had. It was an outstanding pairing with the creme brulee I served to guests after dinner on Saturday. The nose was absolutely unreal. Everyone else was finished their dessert and I was still sitting there, just smelling the wine - creme untouched! That says a lot because creme brulee is one of my favourite desserts. It really was a delight, and I think I'm going to have to track down a couple more bottles.

$26CAD (375mL)

From Veneto

85% Vespaiola, 10% Tocai, 5% Garganega

Honeyed gold colour. Lots of thin legs. Aromas of honey, apricot, mandarin orange, peaches, vanilla, creme brulee, and lemon peel. Full-bodied, unctuous wine with honey, apricots, peaches replaying from the nose. Perfect acidity to offset the sweetness. Long, long, lingering finish with apricot notes, 90+ seconds. Absolutely delicious. Time to go buy a couple more bottles. 95 points. (01/03/2004).

Glad you liked Torcolato, futronic! :laugh: In Italy it's a real benchmark for sweet whites, but that's true for all Maculan's wines, their bordelais blend Fratta wins Tre Bicchieri every year.

I'm eager to taste their dry 2002 Vespaiolo (a gorgeous golden color indeed! Just like Torcolato); shame that Acininobili (botrytised) isn't cheap.

Cheers,

Alberto

It was very good Alberto! I am familiar with the Fratta as well - I've had the '98 and '99 versions. Very good juice!

We don't get their Vespaiolo here in Ontario, but when I'm in Italy in May, I'll try to track down a bottle.

I agree that it's disappointing that Acininobili is much more expensive. Here, it's about $84CAD for a 375mL bottle - more than triple the price of the Torcolato. I'll stick with the latter, thanks! :smile: