• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gyoza

torakris

I hesitated about including this information in the 'everything ramen' thread (gyoza arguably comes under this category), but found this dedicated thread.

---

For those who are drawn to ramen places mainly for the gyoza, there is a place where a selection of gyoza restaurants are huddled together. I regard the environment in which they're situated 'challenging' - the sort of place that can only be enjoyed by the sort of connoisseurs of kitsch who openly enjoy the seedier-yet-still-family-friendly corners of places such as Niagara Falls, Las Vegas, Benidorm, Lourdes, Blackpool or Southend, at least on their first visit.

It's the misleadingly named Gyoza 'stadium' in Namja Town (entry fee required) in the Sunshine City Complex in Ikebukuro. (Same location as the Ikebukuro Sunshine Prince Hotel.)

There's a video tour somebody uploaded here:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0a0oAJnNTog

Familiarise yourself with the location of the nearest fire exits before you settle down to eat there.

Only reason I know about Namja Town is because we went specifically to buy dried miracle fruit there. Unfortunately, I needed to sit outside in a wheelchair (in front of the gyoza stadium adverts) whilst my non-kitsch appreciating husband went inside to get the berries. They were kind enough to give him a generous discount on the entrance price. I got a full and fresh second-hand commentary on the wonders inside Namja Town.

There's currently some kind of Gyoza Challenge event at Gyoza Stadium featuring highlights such as monster lobster gyoza and 1 metre long gyoza

More infor here: http://www.sunshinecity.co.jp/sunshine/event/e0114.html

• 5 years later...

Thought I'd bump this old thread up.

I've been fooling around with potstickers lately. Besides the usual porky/shrimpy fillings, I've made a pretty darn tasty Reuben filling (corned beef + kraut + Russian dressing)...a cheeseburger filling (cheddar, beef, ketchup) and a jalapeno/tuna salad filling (tastes much better than it sounds), and a breakfast sausage and cheese potsticker.

Potstickers have turned into a way to dispose of a small quantity of meat in a tasty way.

Anybody have novel dumplings they'd like to share?

any sort of BBQ: Ckicken / Ck. skin / dab of ' sauce ' same w pork ribs: bit of rib meat bit of 'char' bit of sauce

I used to make ravioli this way w left over BBQ.

but you've already got the idea: anything really good 'before' , in small bits later is good in a dumpling skin or a ravioli skin.

PS: some of the best ravioli Ive ever made ( and dumplings would work just as well ) were from left-over

'BBQ' oven made chicken wings from an Rx in the book "Frog Commissary" a PHIL PA restaurant back in the day: you just stripped out the bones and put the remaining meat/sauce/skin in ravioli or dumpling skin.

http://www.amazon.com/Frog-Commissary-Cookbook-Steven-Poses/dp/0940159732

my book unfortunately has traveled to an unknown spot.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

A friend once brought some "Tex-Mex" siu mai (shaomai) to a potluck party. It tasted surprisingly good. It was a ground beef filling mixed with a salsa (tomatoes, garlic, onion, cilantro, chiles, salt--anything else go into salsa?). He put some shredded mild cheddar into the filling also. I didn't care for the cheese part, at least in the steamed siu mai. I bet if this filling was fried in potstickers it would taste good, with or without cheese. I suggest draining the tomatoes well so the filling isn't too wet for frying. If using fresh tomatoes, cut them up, salt them, and let drain in a sieve set over a bowl for 10 mins or more.

• Like 1

any sort of BBQ: Ckicken / Ck. skin / dab of ' sauce ' same w pork ribs: bit of rib meat bit of 'char' bit of sauce

I used to make ravioli this way w left over BBQ.

but you've already got the idea: anything really good 'before' , in small bits later is good in a dumpling skin or a ravioli skin.

PS: some of the best ravioli Ive ever made ( and dumplings would work just as well ) were from left-over

'BBQ' oven made chicken wings from an Rx in the book "Frog Commissary" a PHIL PA restaurant back in the day: you just stripped out the bones and put the remaining meat/sauce/skin in ravioli or dumpling skin.

http://www.amazon.com/Frog-Commissary-Cookbook-Steven-Poses/dp/0940159732

my book unfortunately has traveled to an unknown spot.

I remember Frog well. One of the few decent places back then.

BTW if you ever get on the 'steamed-bread' type dumplings, all these things work well, and are a bit of a surprise when tried.

Not familiar with these. Steamed bread?

BTW if you ever get on the 'steamed-bread' type dumplings, all these things work well, and are a bit of a surprise when tried.

I think the reference is to bao https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+steamed+bun&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uycRU56RM4P42QWwsoF4&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1093&bih=497

• Like 1

I think the reference is to bao https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+steamed+bun&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uycRU56RM4P42QWwsoF4&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1093&bih=497

Forgot all about bao...never thought of t hem as steamed bread, but of course they are

Several years ago, I was taken to a jiaozi restaurant in Beijing. This place had literally hundreds of different jiaozi. Every kind of meat (some decidedly endangered and illegal), seafood, vegetable etc. They even had strawberry jam jiaozi and ice cream jiaozil. I forget now what I actually ate.

Of those I've made myself, the favourite filling was a 50:50 mix of pork and the local blood sausage.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto