• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"French Toast", "Greek Salad"

Big Bunny

*lol* JPW - i think it might be one of those "started at a resort up there" things. actually having been gone from NYS for over 8 years, i had to google to find the exact location of the 1,000 islands - turns out we share them with canada. I had forgotten about that.

and regaridgn the pain - yeah i was thinking about that too - i guess our french bread is there baguette. do we even have a word for batards? or do we just write that off as italian bread?

Yes, the French make French toast - and call it pain perdu - forget about maple syrup though.

What's called French bread in the States is pretty much a baguette.

But in France a baguette's a pretty much standardized thing - the kind of dough and the size - usually 250g - and shape. When you talk about a baguette in France you're usually talking about the standard white bread baguette - but you can get a baguette de campagne, etc. too.

Pain paysanne or pain de campagne refers to bread that's made with farine de siegle - a darker, rye flour - but not at all the same kind of rye bread that we think of in the States. It can be any kind of shape or size - boule/round loaf, petit pain/roll, etc. - not just a baguette or batard.

A batard on the other hand refers back again to more the size and shape. Smaller than a baguette - I'll have to check on the size - and again can be white, campagne, etc. Side note - batard also means bastard in French so watch your context.

Rock hard, day old baguette - avoid it by sticking leftover baguette in a plastic bag the night before and toast it up in the morning.

Edited by loufood (log)

In Greece and Turkey, "Greek Salad" is simply just "salad" or sometimes "Shepherd Salad" or "Koban Salatsi" (in Turkey).

In Jamaica, Jamaican Patties are just called "Patties".

In Switzerland, Swiss Cheese is simply referred to by the actual region like "Emmenthal" (with means Emme Valley, where the stuff is produced). Emmenthal of course is the "swiss cheese" with the signature holes, but of course you also got cheeses like Gruyere which are distinctively Swiss as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yes, the French make French toast - and call it pain perdu - forget about maple syrup though.

What's called French bread in the States is pretty much a baguette.

But in France a baguette's a pretty much standardized thing - the kind of dough and the size - usually 250g - and shape. When you talk about a baguette in France you're usually talking about the standard white bread baguette - but you can get a baguette de campagne, etc. too.

Pain paysanne or pain de campagne refers to bread that's made with farine de siegle - a darker, rye flour - but not at all the same kind of rye bread that we think of in the States. It can be any kind of shape or size - boule/round loaf, petit pain/roll, etc. - not just a baguette or batard.

A batard on the other hand refers back again to more the size and shape. Smaller than a baguette - I'll have to check on the size - and again can be white, campagne, etc. Side note - batard also means bastard in French so watch your context.

Rock hard, day old baguette - avoid it by sticking leftover baguette in a plastic bag the night before and toast it up in the morning.

hmmmi thought a batard was shorter than a baguette, but wider - again, similar to the "italian" bread laoves we have here.

on another note - what does the word bastard mean in french?

is it just me or do most of these 'ethnically located foodstuff terms' american in origin? in spanish (as far as i know) they are more likely to adapt the foreign word itself (sandwich in spanish pronunciation) as opposed to inventing a term such as 'pan con carne americano...'

it also seems strange that so much of 'american food' is 'foreign borne.' at Denny's you can get a hamburger, french fries, salad with russian dressing and french silk pie.

hmmm........... sorry, etymology is an interesting subject.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

well in Japan there is fransu pan ("French bread") to mean any long thin loaf. Fransu being the Japanese pronunciation of France and pan being the word they use for bread. There is also a French dressing here but very different from what is in the US.

There is also amerikan cohi (American coffee) which tastes like dirty water.....

the Japanese too made up some strange words for foods, kabocha (their big squash) is named after Cambodia because that was the path it took to get to Japan and their name for poato is jagaimo. Imo is the Japanese word for most tubers and Jaga is from Jakarta.....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I forgot to mention that one of the Malay names for sweet potato is ubi stela. Ubi means tuber and stela is actually a shortened version of Castilla!

Michael aka "Pan"

hmmmi thought a batard was shorter than a baguette, but wider - again, similar to the "italian" bread laoves we have here.

The dough weight for a batard is less than a baguette so yeah it will be shorter but not necessarily wider - I'll get the specs on both.

You mean what does "bastard" mean in French? Nothing - not used in French.

iceberg lettuce - not grown on icebergs

swedish meatballs - maybe

swiss chard - sure it grows other places

jerusalem artichokes - from Castroville, CA?

polish sausage - maybe

welsh rarebit - ???

vidalia onions - yes

panama red - once upon a time

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

The dough weight for a batard is less than a baguette so yeah it will be shorter but not necessarily wider - I'll get the specs on both.

You mean what does "bastard" mean in French? Nothing - not used in French.

that's interesting. the last company i workerd for there were 2 gentleman with the surname "Bastard" in our offices in France. And they weren't related. I got a kick out of creating their accounts. i named them bastard1 and bastard2.

Jerusalem artichokes--the artichoke part comes from the similarity in taste to real artichokes.

The Jerusalem comes from the French "girasole", --which means "follow the sun". The plant is in the sunflower family, and has yellow flowers that track the sun across the sky--the flowers always face the sun.

FWIW, Jerusalem are easy to grow and quite prolific. Don't plant them in your regular veggie garden--they will take over. They are native to North America, and grow wild in the midwest.

More than you needed to know, huh?

sparrowgrass