• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rockville, Maryland Restaurants

JennyUptown

I have an appointment today right near Twinbrook and Boiling brook (I think). Is there any good takeout around there? I'll try almost anything. The cheaper the better.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Ambrosia: a mountain of gyro!!

Are you talking about the place just south of Congressional Plaza? If so, it may have closed while that whole dumpy shopping center is renovated. India Grill, also in that same strip, is closed too.

That's where it used to be for the laset 30 years, but they moved closer to the courthouse I believe. Haven't been to the new one yet

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of these have been mentioned but in Rockville I like:

Joe's noodlehouse (love it)

Mykonos

bombay bistro

taste of saigon

El Patio (for Argentine empanadas)

7 seas

tara thai

benjarong

tea neck court for bubble tea in Montgomery mall (Bethesda?)

I don't like the lebanese taverna cafe in a stripmall. Its not as good as the actual restaurants.

-Jason

So has anyone been to the relocated Ambrosia????

The fam said that it wasn't as good, maybe they bought a new grill or something that isn't as well seasoned??

Ambrosia was the very best bang for your buck..and they were also extreally nice....for 6 or so years when I still lived at home that was my choice for my birthday dinners.

sure it isn't healthy, but why deny oneslf?

• 3 weeks later...
Ambrosia is/was on the Pike, about a half-mile north of Montrose.

I have a question about Bombay Bistro -- when is the buffet offered, and how much does it cost?

The new Ambrosia was recently reviewed in last week's Montgomery County local section in the Wash Post.

The Bombay Bistro buffet is Fridays and is (I think) about $8 or $9

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Is the Greenfield's Brazilian BBQ still open? If so, is it any good?

It is still open. We've been twice and found it nothing special. The huge salad bar was full of indifferent vegetables and prepared foods. The meat was OK.

It's a fun concept but not worth the price, IMO.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

This is my first post, so please forgive me if I screw something up ..

But don't overlook Oriental East in Silver Spring (in the shopping center on East West Highway, right across from the Metro station -

for superb dimsum -- particularly on weekends, but on other days as well. There aren't many other noticeable places in Silver Spring (yet)

but a visit to the basement Quarry House on Georgia is always interesting ... good burgers, oyster poorboys, real beers on draft,

and atmosphere of a unique type.

I've gotten some good ideas from this collection of Rockville posts - Thanks!

Jim McCallum

Bethesda

Jim,

Welcome.

I myself went to Giuseppe's for a couple of slices of pepperoni for lunch today.

There's also a thread on food in SS if you have any other suggestions there.

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

• 4 weeks later...

Ambrosia has moved from Congressional to a location just south of Montgomery College. It's in a little strip near the Staples. And India Grill (also formerly located in the Congressional shopping strip recently razed to the ground) has relocated north to the Ritchie Center, home of IHOP and several interesting ethnic markets.

And Tom Sietsema's review of Urban Bar-B-Que today sounds very promising.

Urban Bar-B-Que

2007 Chapman Ave. (at Twinbrook Parkway)

Rockville, MD 20852

Phone: 240-290-4827

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I don't know if anybody's mentioned this, but Mama Wok is good for Chinese. It's up the pike near Rockville Town Center. They have the greatest szechuan fried shrimp! It's the best cure for a hangover!

• 1 month later...

I am really surprised how few people put Il Pizzico on their list of favs. Maybe it is not as good now that Enzo has opened Spezie. It has been a year since I have been there, since I live in DC now. When I lived in Gaithersburg, these were my favorites in that area:

Il Pizzico

India Bistro

PF Changs

O'Brien's Pit Barbecue

Melting Pot

Lebanese Taverna

• 4 months later...

I am going to my sister's house in Rockville,MD for Labor Day weekend.Looking for a real good restaurant.Any cuisine other than indian,chinese, and japanese.Thanks for any help.Price doesnt matter.

---

[Editor's note: Hi MikeP - I merged this in with an existing thread on Rockville. Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers, Rocks.]

Edited by DonRocks (log)

I am going to my sister's house in Rockville,MD for Labor Day weekend.Looking for a real good restaurant.Any cuisine other than indian,chinese, and japanese.Thanks for any help.Price doesnt matter.

---

[Editor's note: Hi MikeP - I merged this in with an existing thread on Rockville. Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers, Rocks.]

For my money, Il Pizzico is the best restaurant in the Rockville area. No, it's not a pizza place, "Il Pizzico" means "the pinch," according to our waiter. Very creative Italiian food at reasonable prices. Menu: Il Pizzico

I like the Scaloppine alla Krizia: Veal scaloppini with prosciutto, tomatoes, and melted cheese. They have quite a variety of pastas, too.

• 7 months later...

hjshorter here - yes it still worth going to. Just don't be put off by the location - it's in a teeny strip mall next to a Public Storage place and the Montgomery County waste transfer station. :unsure:

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am