• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Wings

past51511

This is going to sound really pedestrian, but I got this recipe this past Superbowl from a resturaunt owner, for a teryaki-sort of wings, and they were total crack. When I made them, we had some leftovers, but I hesitated to put them in the fridge right away, because I wanted to nibble on them at room temp. They were gone in a short time, we couldn't stay away. What I really liked was that they had a great Amer-Asian thing going, without being even a little sweet. I'm not a fan of sweet glazey meats, at all.

For a few pounds of disjointed wings (no real measurements, but when I say too much, I mean more than you think you would typically add):

a cup-ish of soy sauce

half as much sake

2-3 diced fresh jalepenos

and way too many scallions

garlic

fresh grated ginger

fresh black pepper

finally, about half a cup of sesame seeds

Like, at least a bunch of scallions, 4-6 cloves of garlic minced, a piece of ginger the length of your thumb grated, and something like 1/8th to 1/4 cup of black pepper

Mix everything but the black pepper and sesame seeds, and marinate the wings for a few hours. Dump the whole shebang in a big pan with sides, then dust the top with all that pepper, turning the wings so they're nicely coated with pepper then top with a blanket of sesame seeds. You want the pepper freshly ground, on the coarse side, not that grey table dust. Bake them at like 325ish for a long time, longer than you should, probably.

Eat with rice. Lots of fluffy jasmine rice, and make sure you spoon up some of that marinade and mushy scallions, peppers and garlic for your rice.

I ate one or two for leftovers, and made my husband go back to his friend, Drew, and get his recipe. Good stuff.

I also use wings for making arroz con pollo I find that they're easiest to eat from a bowl of rice, without resorting to flavorless boneless skinless chunks. When I make jerk chicken, I always make thighs for the husband and a few lbs of wings. That's all we ever need, wings and thighs.

When I make Buffalo wings, I mix equal parts of cornstarch and Wondra flour, then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and deep fry. My sauce is the standard half and half Franks and butter, with a squeeze of sriracha for some extra heat and fruitiness.

Wings are my single favorite part of the chicken. Love to cookem. Love to eatem.

I haven't made them in awhile, but I always have enjoyed the wing recipe that used to be on the Hidden Valley ranch dressing packet. If I remember correctly, you mix a bunch of packets in a lot Frank's hot sauce and a little vinegar. I always cut the wings into the one and two boned pieces (so that I could save and eat all of the two boned ones :biggrin: ) and marinated them separately in the marinade mixture. I admit I usually added some REALLY spicy sauce (like a habanaro sauce) to the two boned marinade because I also like them HOT. You then broil them, turning them from time to time, until they are blackened and done. You could make them ahead, microwave them and they were still very tasty.

I've seen recipes that call for marinating the wings in hot sauce, vinegar, melted butter (?) then sprinkling them with the ranch dressing in the packet before baking or broiling......but I never did them that way.

I am SOOOOO in the mood for chicken wings. Just have to decide how to prepare. Loads of great ideas so far. Which to try??????????

Donna

Mince 1 habanero*, 4-5 (or more) cloves of garlic.

Add 2-3 tbs honey, a little olive oil, + sea salt to taste.

mix well should be thick but saucy.

Grill bake or broil 1 lb wings until done.

Toss same in habanero goop; return to heat until just a little caramelized

Enjoy with plenty of cold beer or a nice Gewürztraminer.

*use gloves when working with habaneros or be extremely careful to thoroughly wash your hands before touching any other part of yourself.

I like this a lot. One whole chili may be too much heat for some; too little for others. Generally speaking a little habanero goes a long way.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--