• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

East vs West

AzRaeL

I got one of these. I got it on special with this.

I have been quite impressed by the knife. It is a bit of a cross between a Santoku and a traditional chefs knife. It took a while to get used to the different knife shape , but now I use it quite a lot, particularly on samll stuff like herbs etc. I haven't had any probs with the shiny steel handle either; although I do wipe my hands before I use it. I wouldn't recommend it as an only knife though,I still find my 8" chefs knife easier to use for larger items like chickens.

The knife honer is pretty good too; it hasn't replaced the stone, but it was easier to teach my other half how to use this than a steel properly; and I actually think it does a better job than a steel.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa