• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mozzarella curd in Napa?

NapaStyle in St Helena? They sell it through their catalog and website, both of which I have heard (from would-be gifters this holiday season) have terrible delivery delays and worse customer service. Maybe a walk-in would yield different results (and maybe some curd)???

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

God! How is this possible!!?

(Took a cooking class, quite some time ago, in So CA, with a new "big deal" chef from Napa--MC--and my impression was quite negative. Cocky, I expected, but got rude and even a bit mean in the mix...) I guess cream rises to the top, and "other stuff" sinks?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Yeah, I have to admit that I'm a little hesitant to shop the NapaStyle store. I haven't been in, but the store itself doesn't seem very user-friendly. From the highway it always seems half-vacant. I guess this is an unfair unfavorable impression, but it's the reason I've never shopped there. Also, I expect they're more into selling overpriced olive oils and spice mixes -- not fresh cheese curd. Again, an unfair assumption.

Will try the nearby Dean and Deluca, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

thanks, all!

amanda

Googlista

You could try making it yourself... I've had good luck with a kit from the new england cheese making supply people and strauss milk.  It takes a bit less than an hour.

That was plan B, but would you believe I haven't been able to find rennet anywhere? I've scoured all my local grocery stores -- upscale, low scale, no scale. No one has it.

amanda

Googlista

You could try making it yourself... I've had good luck with a kit from the new england cheese making supply people and strauss milk.  It takes a bit less than an hour.

That was plan B, but would you believe I haven't been able to find rennet anywhere? I've scoured all my local grocery stores -- upscale, low scale, no scale. No one has it.

There's some in my freezer. How much do you need?

Ha! :raz: Next time, I'll let you know. I spent today on the Great Curd Hunt and just came home with some.

Here's the scoop. Dean and Deluca don't carry it. Oakville Grocery doesn't carry it. Cowgirl Creamery, ditto.

GB Ratto's and the Cheese Board (Oakland, Berkeley) were both closed today, but I suspect they would have been good bets.

Three out of the five Berkeley Andronico's don't carry it. The fourth (Emeryville, actually) is closed on Sundays. The fifth, the Shattuck location, lo and behold, had some on the shelves.

The grand irony is that it cost $6.99, quite a bit more than fresh mozzarella. I sure hope it tastes better than the other, because if it doesn't....

Well, let's just say this: 1.25 hour drive + $2 toll + 1/2 day wasted + $6.99 > ((effort x tastebud output) x last day of vacation).

amanda

Googlista