• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flattening pork tenderloin

GSBravo

Butterflying and stuffing a pork loin works fine, but I've found it's darn hard to do with a tenderloin, as it's such a small piece of meat (and pounding it seems to always result in tears for me). I found a better method from a Charlie Trotter book: As someone suggested, cut a deep X into the end with a boning knife. Now get a long handled wooden spoon and push the handle through to create a hole through the tenderloin. Stuff in whatever you want.

Edited by cjsadler (log)

Chris Sadler

Butterflying and stuffing a pork loin works fine, but I've found it's darn hard to do with a tenderloin, as it's such a small piece of meat (and pounding it seems to always result in tears for me).  I found a better method from a Charlie Trotter book:  As someone suggested, cut a deep X into the end with a boning knife.  Now get a long handled wooden spoon and push the handle through to create a hole through the tenderloin.  Stuff in whatever you want.

Agreed,I don't like to cut/flatten tenderloins of any description.For pork tenderloin I always cut to portion size and use my index finger,it's easier to feel your way through and maintain the "centre" and then widen using another utensil,like the wooden handle of my potato masher and then use a piping bag for the stuffing.I find this method of stuffing maintains the integrity and look of the tenderloin,which is my preference.I prefer to use cast iron for the initial searing and then pop into

a hot oven to finish.