• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rose' Sparkling Wines and Champagnes

Jason Perlow

• 2 years later...
A friend recommended a Banfi Rosa Regale 2005. Anyone familiar with it?

Richard,

Thats a fizzy red (not rose) wine produced in Piedmont made from the brachetto grape. It is also sweet. Many people like enjoying the wine with things chocolate. If I'm going to have it with chocolate (which is a big if since I prefer coffee with chocolate), I'll seek out a still version of brachetto. Harder to find, yes, but more enjoyable for me. As far as sparkling brachetto, I like Malvira's Birbet more than Banfi's Rosa Regale.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

My go to sparkler these days is Domaine Allimant Laugner Cremant d' Alsace Rose. Super tasty pinot noir bubbles for $20. Laugner Site They don't give any info on production unfortunately.

If anyone is in the SF Bay Area, Santa Fe or Seattle, the Spanish Table has had some nice rose cavas in the past for around $15. They don't show up on the web site but it seems to only list a fraction of the wine they have at their Berkeley store.

Marques de Monistrol makes a nice Pinot Noir based Gran Reserva Rose cava. Usually fairly reasonably priced as well. The regular Brut Rose Cava is under $10.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol