• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Tomassi "Ripasso" Valpoliceela 1998

Carema

As allegrini have rasied their prices in a sick and twisted way, we are on the prowl for a new ripasso. This is not it. Foul and soulforous in the nose, alcoholic and reminiscent nothing of Corvina, or the spirit of ripasso. this is horrifying wine that has left me with three things:

heartburn

heartbreak

disgust

While I realize that Tommasi refermented with Amarone pressings and Allegrini simply employs a blend of Valp & amarone, still this is godawful swill and should be banned from export.

Ripasso is one of those weird modern categories that could potentially go without filling yet I feel a void without having one.

Maybe the category should just be excused due to lack of care.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

I want to jettison this bottle into space. But my son has not mastered that feat of engineering yet. In a few years perhaps. I will cork it up and wait.

PS yes I spelled the name of the wine wrong. so what the wine was wrong

Edited by Carema (log)

over it

Have you tried the Corteforte Valpolicella Classico Superiore Ripasso? That's some seriously tasty wine and shows off the good effect of ripasso technique to best advantage. This wine is incredibly lush and tastes of black cherries and black licorice. I've had the last few vintages and never had a bad bottle. I think the 1999 is the current release. You should be able to find a bottle in the $18-22 range, depending on where you live. I highly recommend trying this - ees goud sheet mon! 578.gif:laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I would recommend two good value for money:

Capitel San Rocco by Tedeschi. Try to get the 1999 / 2000

Valpolicella Superiore Metodo Ripasso Sagramoso 2000 by Pasqua.

If the Sagramoso would write the Metodo Ripasso any smaller, they would have to supply magnifying glass with the wine.

I reallylike what Tedeschi had been doing on their 1999 and 2000 vintage. Their Valpolicella 2000 is beautiful.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Try these links:

SELECTED ESTATES OF EUROPE Ltd

620 CONCORD AVENUE - MAMARONECK, NY 10543

Selectedestates@Aol.com - www.selectedestates.com

· ADMIRALTY BEVERAGE Co.

COLUMBIA DISTR. COMPANY - 6840 NORTH CUTTER CIRCLE - PORTLAND, OR 97217

hr@columbia-dist.com - www.columbia-dist.com

· DIONYSOS IMPORT INC.

8535-A & B TERMINAL ROAD LORTON, VA 22079

dionysos@hotmail.com

As a private wine shop you have the flexibility which the big boys don't. This is your biggest advantage as well as their biggest weakness.

Always play with a smile....I am pretty sure there will be many who would love to back you up if they regard you as an important showcase.

It's a huge wine world out there.....

Andre Suidan

And I'll add a moderately priced one:

Cesari "Mara" Valpolicella Classico Ripasso 2000 about $14 per bottle

Imported by Opici Imports

It may not be robust but for an everyday quaff it gives some nice pleasure.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ward (log)
I have never met a miserly wine lover

While I have carried Zenato brands, Pinot Grigio & 83' & 85 Amarone for some time I don't sell a lot of Italian wines ( American restaurant) I am looking to bring in some lower priced selections. What would you all suggest

I would suggest Sartori and Castellani for the products you need.

Both companies had been delivering consistantly good quality at moderate prices.

Andre Suidan