• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gastronomica

Preet Baba x

I wish more of these publications were available on the newsstand. The best way for me to find out whether a magazine is worth a subscription is to keep track of how many times I fork out to buy individual issues over a year.

Do you have a local bookstore that specializes in cookbooks? If so, they might carry it. In NY, you can pick up single issues at Kitchen Arts & Letters. I think they also carry back issues. They take phone orders, so I'm sure you can order a copy from them -- 212/876-5550.

Good suggestion--we do have one, called, amazingly enough, The Cookbook Store:

http://www.cook-book.com/

I phoned to inquire if they carried Gastronomica, and the reply was, "Occasionally, when we can get ahold of it. But it's not in right now." Not encouraging.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I phoned to inquire if they carried Gastronomica, and the reply was, "Occasionally, when we can get ahold of it.  But it's not in right now." Not encouraging.

It's a quarterly. The new issue should be out soon.

Why not call back & ask them to hold a copy when the next shipment comes in?

I phoned to inquire if they carried Gastronomica, and the reply was, "Occasionally, when we can get ahold of it.  But it's not in right now." Not encouraging.

It may be easier to just subscribe.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

It may be easier to just subscribe.

It's your money. :wink:

I wonder what Dara Goldstein would reply to this. She definitely loves food, at least if one would judge from her books on russian/georgian cooking.

you could ask her--- gastronomica@williams.edu

Yes, i know: i was in touch with her regarding her forever upcoming book on russian cuisine, but to pose her this question, first of all, one needs Jinmyo's permission.

I think I lost it with Gastro at the time they released the issue with a full exploration of "clay eating". And while the exploration of various "picas" was completely fascinating for about five seconds I found myself drooling asleep. Now as a sommelier I do often lick rocks etc. but that was a little too much. I guess I like a shred of sentimentalism in my food writing or furthermore writing that actually broaches the subject of food, not rehashed, academic writing so obscure it could not possibly be published anywhere else. A linear thematic thread to grasp now and again would be quite lovely although apparently the editors at Gast would wholeheartedly not agree with me. In any event I ceased to seek the mag out at the newstand. The only thing wonderful about the magazine is that in one issue they did confirm that a diet of potatoes and cheese was, truly most nutritionally sound. God bless the Swiss!!!!!

over it

• 3 weeks later...