• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dim Sum/Sushi in San Fran?

davebr

Will be in San Fran at end of January. Where do they have fresh grated wasabi? Where is the best dim sum?

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

We just got back from San Francisco over Christmas week and had a great meal at Yank Sing. A little pricier than some, but excellent nonethless. They should be Zagat-listed, near 2nd Street and Market. Their items from the crispy carts were okay, but their steamed items were spot-on.

R. Jason Coulston

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

The San Francisco Chronicle just published this review of the city's best Dim Sum: Here

Interestingly, it does not include Koi Palace in Daly City which was recently suggested in another thread. Shawn, my friend Heather, and I went there last weekend and were astounded!

The San Francisco Chronicle just published this review of the city's best Dim Sum: Here

Interestingly, it does not include Koi Palace in Daly City which was recently suggested in another thread. Shawn, my friend Heather, and I went there last weekend and were astounded!

I don't think it's meant to be comprehensive or a comparitive ranking. Probably just a compilation of the most recent review cycle (put together before Bill Daley's review of Y. Ben House the other day). I can't see Koi Palace, Harbor Village and Yank Sing being off the radar screen.

I have to wonder if any of them know what they're talking about, except for Olivia Wu. What does Michael Bauer mean by "fresh" siu mai? Freshly ground pork?

I don't think Miriwa is even worth mentioning, and I can't see Lichee Garden ranked above Gold Mountain, except maybe for price. (We had dim sum at LG just today).

BTW, your link was broken (too many http:'s). Here's a fixed link:

SF Chronicle Dim Sum Overview

If you have a car, and you say you want the "best dim sum", IMHO your best bet is Koi Palace. Make sure you call ahead and get a number. When you arrive, you'll only have to wait 15 or 20 mins, as opposed to over an hour. Our staples are the Shanghai dumplings, mango pudding, egg custard buns, most of the seafood dumplings, sometimes BBQ pork buns, sugar puffs. I can't think of anything I don't like here. As you can tell, I like sweets...

I liked Y. Ben House when I was there, but it's kind of grungy looking, but the food was surprisingly good. Good if you're sneaking out by yourself for a quickie dim sum run, but maybe not for impressing the folks. Plus it's the cheapest dim sum I've ever had. I like this place better than Yank Sing, except for the Yank Sing crab dumpling. This place is good for seafood stuff, I believe.

I think food at Ton Kiang is fine, but it's really tiny. Miniscule. Also, parking for Ton Kiang is horrible, wait is long and cold, and it's not even half as nice a restaurant as Koi Palace. Why bother?

If you really want to go to Yank Sing (very pricey, quality is hit or miss), then go to the one on Spears St, at the Rincon Center, as mentioned by chaud-froid. It's nicer. I liked the crab dumplings here. $5 for 2 I think. Lobster dumplings were nasty, way overcooked the last time I went. $5 for 2 as well, I believe. They do fun shapes like frogs and such. Everything else I've had here was forgettable.

I dislike Gold Mountain.

--edit

I read the article and personally I think these people don't know what they're doing. If you're going to make a list of "some of the best dim sum" in SF Bay Area, I think it's a crime to put Mayflower on a list like that, and leave Koi Palace off. That's not fair to innocent tourists.

--end edit

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I dislike Gold Mountain.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about Gold Mountain?

I've found it consistently good, if not great, over a long stretch of time. It's good enough and cheap enough for family, and clean enough to bring visitng relatives to.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about Gold Mountain?

Good question. I...don't...know. I go there and just don't feel satisfied. It could be the "decor" but then I liked Y. Ben House, which isn't exactly a showcase.

That's probably the reason why I didn't state exactly why I didn't like it, as I did with Ton Kiang.

Also, about that article. Tina's Tea House is allegedly one member of the "the best dim sum" in Oakland? I've never been there, but can someone say whether or not it's better than Legendary Palace? I like Legendary Palace, even if their egg custard buns have ghostly pale custard centers.

--edit

I'll get back to you on Gold Mountain

--end edit

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

SF's best sushi is at Kiss in japantown

Melkor, could you give more details? I've been curious about it and am planning a visit next month. Would love some more details on the food and also the reservation process.

Tina's Tea House is allegedly one member of the "the best dim sum" in Oakland?

I was surprised as well. It's been a long time since I've been there and wonder if it's really changed that much. I remember it as a dark, old-fashioned place where grandfathers went to read the paper and hang out all morning. I remember good, authentic, basic dim sum, but nothing that would wow a critic.

I eat dim sum in Oakland Chinatown a lot.

Tin's is consistently very very very good, and sometimes spectactular. L. Palace is very spotty. Sometimes wow, sometimes, why am I paying twice as much as Tin's? L. Palace's dim sum menu is a little more extensive than Tin's.

Tin's waitstaff is also very friendly and accommodating. Great with special requests. Tin's HK chow mein with chicken and yellow chives is outstanding. IrishSpring, gknl and I have dined at both places, and we prefer Tin's.

Tin's is also great for dinner. Their T-shirts say "adventure cuisine." Some unusual stuff, all executed with flair.

That said, they love me at Tin's, know my name and all. I shot part of a demo tape I made for the Food Network there, and they were thrilled to be a part of it. (I didn't get the gig.)

Do not delay, go to Tin's today!

Oh yeah, and for sheer value, L & L makes very basic and good dim sum, and it is pretty impossible to spend 10 bucks there. Usually for me, it's four plates and a $6.65 bill. Plus, I forgot my wallet there once and they didn't care! Try doing that in SF Chinatown.

Koi Palace.

I have a Chinese friend whose parents come from CHINA for dim sum at Koi Palace.

If it's good enough for them.....

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Tin's is consistently very very very good, and sometimes spectactular.  L. Palace is very spotty.  Sometimes wow, sometimes, why am I paying twice as much as Tin's?

I agree. A coworker keeps dragging us to Peony, which usually costs us twice what we'd pay at Tin's... but he's the sort of person who puts decor over food. Give a choice in Oakland, I'd go to Tin's -- friendly and fresh without the pretense.

SF's best sushi is at Kiss in japantown

Melkor, could you give more details? I've been curious about it and am planning a visit next month. Would love some more details on the food and also the reservation process.

Here's what I said about Kiss in another thread:

This is not a place for everyone, mind you. If you think avocado has a place in a sushi or maki, don’t bother. If you are looking for “inexpensive” sushi, don’t bother. If you’re in the mood for fussy rolls swimming in sticky sauce, dragon roll or spider roll, really, don’t bother. (or, god forbid, Ebisu's Swamp Roll :rolleyes:, really, really, don't bother!)

If fantastic sushi and other Japanese dishes are what you’re looking for, make a reservation at Kiss. You will be in for a treat, pristine ingredients, impeccably made dishes that are complex but unfussy, and simply sublime.

It is not cheap, no good sushi can possibly be, but not terribly expensive either. When I go alone, the bill comes to around 50-60 or so, sans tip, with one other person it is often at least twice that.

Actually, the best deal is to order omakase, it is only 35 or so, for (usually) five courses of sushi, sashimi, a cooked dish or two and a soup.

I once ate there in the (accidental) company of none other than Alice Waters. Patricia Unterman (the only critic in town whose palate I respect) wrote a rhapsodic review of the place a while back on her column. What more could I say?

On the reservation thing, non-regulars might have a problem booking seats at the bar during busy nights, but try anyway. They are so nice they will try to accomodate you as much as they can, I'm sure.

Disclosure: I do know the place and the chef well, having been a regular since he opened. I don't stand to gain anything, beyond a free sushi or two, which I usually get anyway, from writing a good review of the place, however.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I eat dim sum in Oakland Chinatown a lot.

Tin's is consistently very very very good, and sometimes spectactular. L. Palace is very spotty. Sometimes wow, sometimes, why am I paying twice as much as Tin's? L. Palace's dim sum menu is a little more extensive than Tin's.

Tin's waitstaff is also very friendly and accommodating. Great with special requests. Tin's HK chow mein with chicken and yellow chives is outstanding. IrishSpring, gknl and I have dined at both places, and we prefer Tin's.

That's IrishCream! :biggrin::raz: But yes, Tin's is good food in an unassuming atmoshere. And very inexpensive. It just changed owners in the last month or so...hope it doesn't deteriorate!

Lobster.

• 1 month later...

I went to Tin's recently,about a month ago, and I was a little disappointed, prob because I was expecting too much, someplace like Ton Kiang. I thought it was decent for a little neighborhood joint.

I never got a chance to go there before the change in ownership though, unless it happened within the last month.

I still have to get back to Gary Soup about Gold Mountain. Went there recently as well, but I was too late, and it was closing.

--NeroW

• 3 years later...

A bump to recommend Mayflower on Geary (near 27th Ave) as the best Cantonese-style dimu sum in SF. Yank Sing is very good, but Mayflower is more like what we've had in Hong Kong. Koi Palace is ok but has gone downhill from past years, certainly not worth leaving the city, and the restaurant is getting a little worn - last time we were there there was a noticeable sour smell rising from the carpet. If you're on the Peninsula, Hong Kong Flower Lounge and even the venerable Fook Yuen in San Mateo are better bets.

---------------

Matt T

A bump to recommend Mayflower on Geary (near 27th Ave) as the best Cantonese-style dimu sum in SF. 

I really like Mayflower too. The only thing is they are too crowded. Seating arrangement wise. I meant, really elbow-to-elbow crowded during meal hours, compared to other dim sum restaurants in the city because their restaurant is so small. I also like Parc Hong Kong nearby. And Hong Kong Restaurant on Noriega near 33rd in the Sunset district.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

A bump to recommend Mayflower on Geary (near 27th Ave) as the best Cantonese-style dimu sum in SF. 

I really like Mayflower too. The only thing is they are too crowded. Seating arrangement wise. I meant, really elbow-to-elbow crowded during meal hours, compared to other dim sum restaurants in the city because their restaurant is so small. I also like Parc Hong Kong nearby. And Hong Kong Restaurant on Noriega near 33rd in the Sunset district.

try Lychee Garden on Powell (near Broadway). it's on the edge of chinatown and north beach. Great dim sum there - no tourists. note: no one there really speaks english, so just point and nod...

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com