• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wackiest thing you've ever eaten

Zingano

yesterday, for a food review i had to eat Geoduck sashimi. It was FRESH. I saw them remove it from the tank and shortly after that, paper thin slices of the giant clam arrayed on the plate. Also had the option to dip it in simmering chicken stock. DELICIOUS.

http://www.uniqueseafood.com/corporate.html

Isn't Geoduck a pokemon?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

If it's not, it should be. Looks kinda like one besides sounding like one.

Wonder what its 'powers' would be.

Maybe enticing humans or other pokemon into thinking it was delicious then snapping them shut in its huge shell.... :shock:

Sorry, Horribly OT but....

There is one called Geodude

Must have been getting confused!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

My great aunt used to use chicken feet in her chicken and dumplings to add the gelatin. She would take them out before serving. My sister has reminded me that she would take them out to cool and rinse them off, expose the tendons so I could pull on the tendons to make the feet twitch. I thought that was a great toy. How sick is that? :laugh:

Thanks for providing the idea for tonight's entertainment, Fifi.

Just picked up some chicken feet (all of a sudden they seem to be selling them everywhere, though I haven't seen them in years...maybe the local organic free-range chicken guy has thought to do this?) for stock...

My kids will love this 'creative toy idea'. So will the cats, I am sure! :laugh:

My maternal grandmother refused to eat squirrels which had been harvested by being shot in the head.  She liked to suck the eyeballs out after the squirrel had been parbroiled.  I never developed a taste for eyeballs.

This reminds me of a story told in another thread where the discussion was about the (sorry, guys, gotta use that word) castration of young male lambs.

The method I had been instructed to use, when thinking of raising a flock, by the ag coop guy, was to tie a certain part up tight with a rubber band.

This method was topped by a guy who was raised on a lamb farm...he said the farmhands used to do the job by a different method...cut open and suck out.

I didn't dare ask if they swallowed them....

Isn't this a lovely thread? :laugh:

Ducks blood soup. The Chinese version was delicious! The Polish version (in Buffalo, NY), was a huge disappointment: As I recall, it had sauerkraut, vinegar and raisins!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I reluctantly tried guinea pig in Peru, but found it delicious. They are reared like we rear chickens, ducks, etc. They have different ways to prepare them and use rather exotic herbs to flavor them. The "beer" made from maize is a fine accompaniment. The maize there has kernels as large as nickels and the taste is strongly "corney". Their "white" potatoes are preserved by dehydrating them and the ones I ate had an excellent taste. The food was worth the trip and a visit to the open-air market was insect-free and definitely a rare food shopper's delight.

In Kurume, Japan I had many strange meals. 3 really stick out; Kagoshima(or was it Kumamoto? I also drank alot of sakes and beer) is famous for its BASASHI SASHIMI, that be raw horse meat folks! Raw sliced heart was the highlight, actually was quite good. I had a 4 course turtle meal- Fried legs, soup, sashimi displayed on its shell with just killed but not dead pulsating organs artfully arranged around the plate, and the coup de grace... a cup of that same turtles blood mixed with (not enough)sake. Make sure to rinse to avoid coagulants from sticking in one's teeth. And then for my Bday I was taken to this restaurant built over a river, and for just three weeks a year these little translucent minnows make a run(maybe the same ones made into snackfoods-think peanuts), so you order this meal and out comes a large beautiful bowl with these bad boys swimming around, you scoop them up with a little net and deposit them into another smaller beautiful bowl that has a slurry of koikuchi shoyu and a raw quail egg. Coat them well with the slime and slurp them down, rinse and repeat . I forgot about the yuzu addition, so now its salty, slimey, tart and sqirming.

Edited by Timh (log)

• 2 weeks later...

You're kidding? They sell waterbugs (huge cockroaches) for eating, with the approval of the Department of Health? Wouldn't dead cockroaches in a store normally cause it to fail inspection in the U.S.? :wacko::raz:

Yeah, they look like three inch long cockroaches! Isn't that crazy? Next time I'm there, I'll see if she'll sell me some and post a picture.

Geez, I hope they don't get shut down because of my big mouth! :huh:

You're kidding? They sell waterbugs (huge cockroaches) for eating, with the approval of the Department of Health? Wouldn't dead cockroaches in a store normally cause it to fail inspection in the U.S.? :wacko::raz:

Yeah, they look like three inch long cockroaches! Isn't that crazy? Next time I'm there, I'll see if she'll sell me some and post a picture.

I reluctantly tried guinea pig in Peru, but found it delicious.  They are reared like we rear chickens, ducks, etc.  They have different ways to prepare them and use rather exotic herbs to flavor them. The "beer" made from maize is a fine accompaniment.  The maize there has kernels as large as nickels and the taste is strongly "corney".  Their "white" potatoes are preserved by dehydrating them and the ones I ate had an excellent taste. The food was worth the trip and a visit to the open-air market was insect-free and definitely a rare food shopper's delight.

Sweet! I will be in Peru in less than 3 weeks. I'm completely tracking down the guinea pig (will try not to think of the pet guinea pigs I had when I was young, but they were a pain the butt anyway). Any hints on what a guinea pig might be called in Peruvian Spanish?

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Viva, I believe they are called "cuy" in Peru.

Let us know how you like it! :smile:

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Well, I have eaten a fair number of odd things but to me the strangest was the dish of baby eels served to me at a potluck party. They are cooked quickly just prior to serving and tasted okay but I had to close my eyes. It was all the little eyes in the dish. Fortunately there were no a lot so my portion was only about 1/4 cup.

Deanna mentioned the "rats" in Nigeria several posts back.

Those are reed rats and they can get pretty big. Friends who went to Haute Zaire in 1987 and 1988 to bring back some native Basenji dogs, got to try it and said it was not at all bad. One said it tasted a lot like possum. Basenjis hunt reed rats which weigh as much as they do but basenjis are very quick.

One of the interpreters who comes to my office is from Brazil and his family raises capybara for meat. He keeps promising to bring me some on his return after his next trip home.

world's largest rodent

They are bigger that reed rats by a considerable margin, can weigh up to 100 pounds while a reed rat tops out at about 20 pounds.

Importation of the meat requires a permit but is obtainable with some jumping through hoops.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Maybe you could tell us how you lifted the top half of the skulls off the live monkeys.

What I found out later was that they get the monkeys drunk and when they pass out the chef slices through the skull basically using a bone saw. You then just lift the top off and there you go... To be honest it's not something I'm in a hurry to do or try again!!!

I went to a wild game dinner a couple of years ago and they had 2 really "exotic" things on the menu

Cougar and Swan! I have to admit, I truly enjoyed them both. The cougar had a really sweet tasting meat and the swan was comparable to a steak.

I have eaten squirill, racoon, bear, beaver, turtle, moose, elk and a few other wild game meats.

I had the oppertunity to try Kangaroo at a restaurant in Florence, Oregon about 5 years ago and i passed it up. At the time i thought $29.95 was a little steep to take the cance on something i may not like. Now im kicking myself for not taking the cance and trying it. It is the only place i have ever seen kangaroon on a menu

I went to a wild game dinner a couple of years ago and they had 2 really "exotic" things on the menu

Cougar and Swan!  I have to admit, I truly enjoyed them both. The cougar had a really sweet tasting meat and the swan was comparable to a steak.

I have eaten squirill, racoon, bear, beaver, turtle, moose, elk and a few other wild game meats.

I had the oppertunity to try Kangaroo at a restaurant in Florence, Oregon about 5 years ago and i passed it up. At the time i thought $29.95 was a little steep to take the cance on something i may not like.  Now im kicking myself for not taking the cance and trying it. It is the only place i have ever seen kangaroon on a menu

There is a place near where I live (in Delaware) that has Kangaroo (and I believe a couple other native australian meats) on the menu. It is more casual dining than fine dining, so the prices should be reasonable. I have been meaning to check it out, I just havent' gotten around to it yet.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Cougar and Swan!  I have to admit, I truly enjoyed them both. The cougar had a really sweet tasting meat and the swan was comparable to a steak.

Sounds very interesting, how were the cougar and swan prepared?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

A few years ago, in Australia, I was served Witchity Grubs with a Peanut Sauce. I think that the restaurant was called Roundtree's and is no longer there. This is Aborigial traditional food and is really a grub, I think that it lives in trees.

Captain Hongo