• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wackiest thing you've ever eaten

Zingano

Another dish I forgot to mention was homemade brownies that were heavily laced with ground morning glory seeds. Really quite disgusting and barely palatable but as was the case with the rotting fresh peyote button chocolate milkshakes we had the month before...  all was consumed in the spirit of...  uhhhh... scientific inquiry rather than culinary adventure.  Yes, it was in a previous lifetime in case you shuld be wondering.

In case anyone is wondering:

You probably don't want to try this. There are safer and much more pleasant ways to get a buzz.

There are safer and much more pleasant ways to get a buzz.

Unquestionably. I switched over to caffeine many years ago and really never looked back but this intriguing thread resurrected the not so fuzzy memories.

What's your favorite ?

Pork Blood

Chicken Blood

Duck Blood

Goose Blood

Beef Blood

Lamb Blood

Coool :) we have a resident Vampire

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

What's your favorite ?

Pork Blood

Chicken Blood

Duck Blood

Goose Blood

Beef Blood

Lamb Blood

Coool :) we have a resident Vampire

:huh: AzRael: Being from Singapore i'm sure that your aware this Blood is coagulated or cooked. Plus it's almost always served with "GARLIC" so I'm just a resident :wacko::unsure: But certainly not a Vampire. [unless you read the last line on my messages] :laugh:

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Wesza rules, what an amazing evening. Which hotel in Hong Kong??

My 'wackiest' stories involve snakes.

Once in Taipei, I was taken to the infamous "Snake Alley". I wonder if it still exists. Very big, very long snakes (perhaps 6-8 feet long) and in fabulous colors, are hung from the neck, and when someone paid for the snake, it was slit from throat to tail, it's heart pulled out and the blood drained and eaten. It was important to drink the blood quickly, while the poor beast's heart was still beating. I probably should have rated this post "R" for "Repulsive...read only if strong stomached".

Other times in southern China, during game season in the fall, I've been served snake quite a few times. The skin is served very crispy and is really delicious, as is the meat, which I've had in a sort of BBQ sauce. Rather like eating very small ribs. But of course, that blood shows up again. This time its a bit more civilized. The blood is served with some white wine and the gizzard. It is an honor to be served the blood and gizzard as there is only enough for one diner. Although I've been offered many times, I've never had the courage.

But enough about Eastern cuisine! What about wacky Western cuisine???

Wesza rules, what an amazing evening. Which hotel in Hong Kong??

My 'wackiest' stories involve snakes.

Once in Taipei, I was taken to the infamous "Snake Alley". I wonder if it still exists. Very big, very long snakes (perhaps 6-8 feet long) and in fabulous colors, are hung from the neck, and when someone paid for the snake, it was slit from throat to tail, it's heart pulled out and the blood drained and eaten. It was important to drink the blood quickly, while the poor beast's heart was still beating. I probably should have rated this post "R" for "Repulsive...read only if strong stomached".

Other times in southern China, during game season in the fall, I've been served snake quite a few times. The skin is served very crispy and is really delicious, as is the meat, which I've had in a sort of BBQ sauce. Rather like eating very small ribs. But of course, that blood shows up again. This time its a bit more civilized. The blood is served with some white wine and the gizzard. It is an honor to be served the blood and gizzard as there is only enough for one diner. Although I've been offered many times, I've never had the courage.

hathor: The party was held at the "Nathan Hotel" in Kowloon about one year after it opened.

In Taiwan on Snake Alley the most valuable, expensive part of the Snakes is the "Bile" which is generally mixed with Wine and drunk immediately after the Snake is killed. It appearently tastes vile but supposedly has medical properties.

The Blood, Gizzard and Snake Meat are all secondary to the Bile which is very expensive. The restaurants that specialize in Snake Dishes are sold mostly dressed snakes but also always have live snakes that are much more expensive and served various ways, but the fact that they have their Bile is the reason they are so expensive.

This is often considered Show Off or Big Nose service often the customers are under the influence after drinking earlier in the night and being impulsive. That's why these Snake Restaurants stay open very late into the AM's.

My son told me that he's tried "Nutria" and thought it tasted pretty good. One of his favorite fish that he finds it strange that everyone won't even try it is "Sea Robin" that he catches in Peconic Bay, Long Island.

Irwin :unsure:

:huh: AzRael: Being from Singapore i'm sure that your aware this Blood is coagulated or cooked. Plus it's almost always served with "GARLIC" so I'm just a resident :wacko::unsure: But certainly not a Vampire. [unless you read the last line on my messages] :laugh:

Irwin

didn't know about the Garlic bit.

It's usually available in cakes that look like black or really dark brown tofu.

it usually goes with "Yong Tau Foo" with is this dish where you pick all the ingredients you want and the stall will poach it in hot stock and serve it with rice vermicelli.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

how about a Stuffed Dormouse?

i haven't eaten it but it's definitely counts as wacky western cuisine.

I have tried this little critter on a number of occasions, as our Dept. of Agriculture keeps trying to entice consumers into eating the rats that are eating our coastline. Sadly, it just doesn't hold a candle to pork or shrimp :angry:  :laugh: , but they keep trying.

Several years ago there was a public cookoff with several of our better known chefs (Paul Prudhomme, Jamie Shannon, John Folse, Emeril Legasse, Susan Spicer, Frank Brigsten, etc.) and these people were charged with trying to make this foodstuff palatable. Failure abounded. No matter what kind of sauce you put on it "a rat by any other name still tastes like a rat".

In fairness I will say that it does not taste bad. A bit like squirrel or wild swamp hare, but with all of the choices in the meat cooler, it is going to be a pretty hard sell to get people to buy this stuff.

They're pretty good on the grill with a good dose of Jack Miller's on em. They also make a passable jerky. Emu is better jerky meat though.

I have tried grubs (Cub Scouts) and other assorted insects (drunk camping trip years ago), but the strangest for me was the calf that I raised for 4-H. Now I'd eaten veal a number of times, being raised on a dairy farm. But the idea of an animal that I had named, bottle fed, brushed, and placed Third in Show with ending up on the plate was a bit much for the 12 year old me.

I have a better grip on things now.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I was in the 4-H. I wonder how many others were. Probably not too many. :biggrin:

Edit: Maybe there are some young people here that are now in the 4-H. Doubt it, but if you're reading this and are, let us know.

Edited by Nick (log)

:huh: AzRael: Being from Singapore i'm sure that your aware this Blood is coagulated or cooked. Plus it's almost always served with "GARLIC" so I'm just a resident :wacko:  :unsure: But certainly not a Vampire. [unless you read the last line on my messages] :laugh:

Irwin

didn't know about the Garlic bit.

It's usually available in cakes that look like black or really dark brown tofu.

it usually goes with "Yong Tau Foo" with is this dish where you pick all the ingredients you want and the stall will poach it in hot stock and serve it with rice vermicelli.

AzReal: Seems that it become more elegant in Singapore.

Trying going into the more Chinese Style Market Stalls where the get into Chiu Chow Dishes like Sliced Goose over Gooseblood with Garlic Vinegar.

You'll have something very good and traditional to enjoy.

Irwin :unsure:

I've been waiting for two items from my childhood that always seemed to best discribe Wacky.

Jewish Delights

Shav: Sour Sorrel Soup served with Sour Cream that seemed to Curdle while you watched with smacking lips.

Kiska: {Hit him in the Kiska], Stuffed Cow Intestines, often served covered with Gravy as a side dish.

The Schav I never was able to eat, except once by adults demand or else.

The "Kiska" I always liked, but had a interesting experience of a case being stolden from a lot of Meat being shipped to Hong Kong on a boat before containers. The only case missing from the boats hold was a case of Kiska. We always had to grin thinking about someone in the Phillipines opening that box thinking it was full of American Steaks and trying to figure out what they had. Still makes me smile.

Irwin :raz::biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Live ants in the Ecuadorian rainforest--they're sort of lemony.

Ratllesnake that we killed with a shovel and pan-fried on a camp stove. It really does taste kind of like chicken, but bonier. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're especially hungry.

I've also had the live shrimp in Japan--I was staying with a friend who received a box of them as a new year's gift. She offered me one and I said oh, I wouldn't want to deprive you of a delicacy....and she said here, I'll tear the head off for you and handed it to me wriggling. It was pretty good, actually.

Okay not as exotic as fried scorpion, but I did try 'kokoretzi' while in Greece. It's the innards of lamb, seasoned, pushed onto a skewer, wrapped with the intestine, cooked over a spit, covered in foil and sliced to serve.

Not too far off the machitos we get at the carnicerias here. They're yummy and all, but you have to be careful not to grill them too long lest they shrink and fall apart.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Live ants in the Ecuadorian rainforest--they're sort of lemony.

i've had live ants too but that was only because i didn't see the ants when i ate my food.

Human flesh.

i used to chew my nails, does that count?

finally a response. oh heck i was kidding.

strange things:

live sashimi in japan (much more interesting to eat a fileted fish than a shrimp...the thing looks at you.

pickled pigs penis. again this was japan - i was tricked into thinking it was sausage

fried grasshoppers - japan

raw horse - japan

oven baked dog - hawaii

pizza topped with potato salad and eggs - japan

kangaroo

Right on. My great regret is that my linguistic and social skills haven't led me into the inner circles of the various regional cuisines happening in this little big-ass town.

But what's really weird? I wait with baited breath every time one of my chiflados goes home to Oaxaca or Guerrerro for a week, because I know they're going to bring me a bag of chapaulinas. And you haven't lived until you've tasted my chapaulina pizza with salsa verde.

When raw skate wing in red chile paste with glass noodles isn't enough to raise an eyebrow, I know I've found a heck of a good website.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...