• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dallas Breakfast/Brunch

FoodMan

My wife an I will -unless something urgent comes up- be in Dallas on the 24th for the Dallas e-gullet get together. We plan to have a nice dinner that evening and a breakfast/Brunch Sunday. I pretty much have my dinner places scouted out thanks to an earlier thread about the Dallas restaurant scene. However, I would appreciate a good breakfast or brunch spot. So far a friend suggested a place called "Bread Winners".

Thanks

Elie

EDIT: to fix the name of the place

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I checked their website and they seem to offer typical Latin AMerican fair. Sort of like the stuff I would have at my Colombian in-laws house :smile:

I think I will head over to Bread Winners Sunday morning.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 month later...

We tried brunch at La Duni last Saturday, and were really delighted by the entrees. My wife had chilaquiles and I had the chile relleno, and both were outstanding. The breads and pastries are superb, too. It may have been a function of how much I needed a cup, but I think their coffee was the best I have had in Dallas.

Welcome Kirk B. I hope you will visit the Texas Forum and post often.

Can you tell us more about the food. What were the chilaquiles and the chile relleno like -- what made them outstanding compared to other versions of the same dish? What kinds of bread and pastries did you try and what was so good about them?

As far as the chile relleno is concerned, the flavors were a great melding of at least three cheeses, a fresh chile and some very fluffy scrambled eggs, topped with both red and green sauces (at my request). The red sauce is chopped-tomato based and very light; the green sauce is tomatillo based. Good, but not my favorite (New Mexico chile based sauces). The chilaquiles also were light, with yellow corn tortillas adding texture and flavor. The breads, a $4.95 addition to the meal, included a banana bread muffin, and two other very flavorful breakfast breads (two of each came with the order). My wife also ordered a cinnamon/pecan sticky bun, which was way more than we could eat at breakfast, but made for a great mid-afternoon snack.

Brunch is a very good value -- including tip, ours was under $35.

I'm looking forward to going back for lunch and dinner at some point soon.

Kirk