• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Triangle Steakhouse?

scottie

I recently moved to Chapel Hill and would like to take my husband out to a decent steakhouse for his birthday late in January. Any suggestions?

Oh, but I'm picky- I want good, clean, grass-fed beef, as junk-free as possible.

And a good fish option, too.

That about cover it. :rolleyes:

Thanks, y'all.

Grass fed? You probably won't find it here.

Decent steaks here come from the Angus Barn and Sullivans in Raleigh. We do have a Ruth's Chris in Cary. Finally, Enoteca Vin in Raleigh is not a steakhouse, but they do offer some of the best beef in town. They get their beef from 3 different suppliers -- sometimes it's Kobe. It's almost always dry aged for at least 14 days.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Thanks!

Any opinion on the Capital City Chop House?

I know next to nothing about this area's offerings. I am looking forward to Enoteca Vin sometime. I think the hub wants something more traditional for his b-day, but I'd like something more local than Ruth's Chris, not that that wouldn't do just fine.

anyhoo, thanks, I shall check them all out. :smile:

Scottie,

If you want to experience real local color, fine food and a great wine list, I vote for the Angus Barn. While others may claim that Sullivans has claimed top steak house honors in recent years, I still prefer the Angus Barn as it is a true dining institution in the Triangle spanning I guess roughly 40 years now. Before the fancy national steak house chains like Sullivans and Ruth's Chris' and other fine culinary destinations arrived on the scene, the Barn was always the one constant landmark for celebratory dinners in the Triangle not to mention the decades of lobbying and state politicking that has taken place there.

I have not eaten at the Capital City Chop House but have eaten at that chain's sister restaurants in Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Although I had generally acceptable food and experiences at those restaurants, I believe the Barn is your best bet for a real local steak house.

Edited by Guilty Gourmand (log)

The Barn is definitely a local institution. The overall experience is vastly different than say, Sullivan's. Red and white checked table cloths and a sort of cornpone vibe exist at The Barn. Sullivan's has a much more hip feel. Just depends what you want. Personally, I prefer both the steaks and the atmosphere at Sullivan's

I'll agree with Zeb that the Barn and Sullivans offer vastly different experiences but in response to cornpone vibe I must add that, imho, the Barn is much more than a cross between a Cracker Barrel and a Ryan's Steakhouse. Please don't get me wrong, I like Sullivans too and if it were not a chain I would probably like it even more but the whole faux rat pack / gangster feel and boxing motif along with the schmoozing bar scene can have its drawbacks. In the end, what I like about the Angus Barn is that it is a one of a kind Triangle original where I can get great cuts of meat charcoal grilled. Seems the thing to do is to come up with another celebration so you can experience both.

Edited by Guilty Gourmand (log)

I had one of the best steaks of my life at La Rez in Chapel Hill. They serve French cuisuine for the most part and had at least one fish dish on the menu.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I would like to try La Rez, I keep driving past it and peering in.

I'm thinking the Angus Barn looks more our style for this event, plus it's listed in the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association's guide to farms, restaurants and markets which support sustainable agriculture.

So eeeeven though the beef is from Kansas, and eeeven though it's not 100% organic, I suppose it meets enough of my politically correct dining criteria.

Can you tell I'm a recovering vegetarian?

Now I just need a job so I can enjoy all this...