• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef: The original Japanese incarnation

arjay

This is running on the Challenge cable channel in the UK at the moment 7.30 pm every night. I find it absolutely rivetting. The techniques and dishes produced are so unusual and its strange blend of high camp and intensity makes it unmissable. better than the US version I think.

I am a huge Iron Chef fan. I disagree that it's over-dramatic, and I disagree that it's only "semi" addictive! :)

I even have a T-Shirt.

ironfans.com is a cool website for fans, with a very interesting FAQ.

Since arjay's original post seemed like flamebait, I'll change the subject:

Michiba is the best Iron Chef. Agree or disagree?

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I like Iron Chef (check out my little quote thingy), but have seen the repeat episodes too many times to be as engaged as I was a few years ago. I have the FN's sanctioned Iron Chef book, and it's pretty lame.

My fave chef is Sakai, and I love Kaga and his wardrobe.

Chef Sakai is cool. He's my favorite, especially with his presentations.

Edited by arjay (log)

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

I love the dubbing and the commentary about the cooking. The voices they use are really funny. Ply me with enough drinks I'll start imitating the tasters.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have to admit I only watched Iron Chef a couple of times during its Japan run, it hasn't been on in years not even in reruns.

It was so overly dramatic it grated my nerves raw and there were better cooking shows on. I do like the idea for it and just wish it could have been done a little better.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm a self-confessed fan - not an addict but it's one of the few things I'll watch on TV with any regularity.

I've only seen the American version once and it totally fell short of the mark. Something was lost in the... uhhhh... lack of translation.

I'm a self-confessed fan - not an addict but it's one of the few things I'll watch on TV with any regularity.

I've only seen the American version once and it totally fell short of the mark. Something was lost in the... uhhhh... lack of translation.

I am confused. What versions do you see? :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Fifi, there's the "Americanized" version of the Japanese TV show Iron Chef -- it's got the dubbed voices and generally rabid fans. It's also got Sakai (the heavy drinker), Chen (the weeper), Morimoto (Kurasawa's bastard son) and Kobe (the "special" Iron Chef).

Then there's "American Iron Chef" or something like that -- hosted by William Shatner, as I recall, with American chefs willing to debase and humiliate themselves in a contest with all they unintentional kitsch and none of the charm of the original.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I love the dubbing and the commentary about the cooking. The voices they use are really funny. Ply me with enough drinks I'll start imitating the tasters.

Especially the voices of the demure little actresses, who stuff large shards of basically repulsive foodstufs in their tiny gobs, and then giggle with demented pleasure. :raz:

Then there's "American Iron Chef" or something like that -- hosted by William Shatner, as I recall, with American chefs willing to debase and humiliate themselves in a contest with all they unintentional kitsch and none of the charm of the original.

Is that a series? I thought it was a one-time special. Oh my.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Fifi, there's the "Americanized" version of the Japanese TV show Iron Chef -- it's got the dubbed voices and generally rabid fans. It's also got Sakai (the heavy drinker), Chen (the weeper), Morimoto (Kurasawa's bastard son) and Kobe (the "special" Iron Chef).

How did I miss that? Was it on FoodTV?

That William Shatner thing was awful.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I love the dubbing and the commentary about the cooking.  The voices they use are really funny.  Ply me with enough drinks I'll start imitating the tasters.

Especially the voices of the demure little actresses, who stuff large shards of basically repulsive foodstufs in their tiny gobs, and then giggle with demented pleasure. :raz:

Repeat after me:

Ooo, I love the texture. It's so crunchy on the outside, but so creamy within. And the flavor!! You capture the essence of <insert item of the day here>.

And then there's the imperious politician.....

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My son is an Iron Chef nut.  He sent Morimoto a letter and got a very nice reply, along with some cool swag.

Sakai (well, Iron Chef French, I think he's Sakai) reminds me of Robert Goulet, which greatly annoys my son.  :rolleyes:

Sakai has a great personality and he plates some gorgeous looking stuff, but my favorite will always be Chen. Chen can cook my ma po dofu anytime. He always seemed to be the most authentic of all the chefs, in terms of his cuisine and focus.

The FIRST Iron Chef Japanese, Michiba Rokusabouro, is also Da Man.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Best episode ever was the one teamed with Flay's revenge episode where, who was it, Kondagawa (sp?), the leader of the "faction" that kept losing over and over again took on Sakai, I believe. He shaved his head for the match and cried when he won. He did that thing where he cut off the head of a fish and slammed it down on the cutting board. Awesome. Truly intense episode. The Flay revenge episode wasn't bad either just to see someone make such Americanized food and really shock the panel. They couldn't believe somone would so heavily season and sear Kobe beef like that. It looked damned tasty to me.

I think what makes the show great is that they take themselves so seriously. They truly care about the outcome. Americans and Europeans on the show rarely showed that same intensity, except on Flay's revenge. Even Segal (sp?) who won just sort of took the whole thing with typical American laidback style. The American show took itself as a joke, and as such, rightly the audience did too. Also, the American panel was a bunch of morons who couldn't say any more about the food that "tastes great" or "less filling".

Tell me if I've watched too much:

There're the two old ladies- Kosoko Hosoki and Asako Kishi. I think Hosoki is a little more cantankerous. "You know the textue is really wonderful. It would have been better with less salt which has just overpowered the dish".

Then there is lower house member Shinichiro Kurimoto(the poltician), who tends to speak very authoritatively butit is unclear to me what his food background is.

There was in the earlier episodes the Rosanjin(?) scholar, the older guy, who generally was less critical then the older women. (I have no idea what a Rosanjin scholar is).

The rotating guest guys and then the invariably tittering young women. "It's all so good!" Giggle-Giggle. They're all interchangeable.

Also, the American panel was a bunch of morons who couldn't say any more about the food that "tastes great" or "less filling".

"Hee hee hee!"

Guess we didn't have that kind of intelligent analysis. :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Yeah, but the parade of eye candy actresses often also had certifications from culinary schools and said things like "I can really taste the love of his home prefecture in his dishes; the soup calls out with the smells of spring and the dumpling explodes in my mouth with the sweet flavors of the land." Sounds cheesy the first couple times, but then you start to count on such descriptive prose.

While living in Toronto a few years ago I briefly dated a Japanese actress who was a judge on two episodes. She entertained me with detailed and amazing stories of meals in two and three stared restaurants from around the world. I would say that she knew a lot about food and truly lived a fabled epicurian lifestyle.

However, when I finally saw the episodes she was on, her voice over shrill and comments cut short, she did not come across as the gastro goddess I met.

The whole show is chopped pretty poorly as a whole. I would love to see the chef's actually execute their dishes from start to finish. Just when something really cool is happening they do a quick cut to the judges booth where someone makes a joke and everyone else giggles.

I would love it if someone releases an Iron Chef DVD someday.

I would also add that Bobby Flay's big ugly fried food was far below the caliber of Morimoto's in both matches.

cook slow, eat slower

J.Chovancek

I cannot bring myself to watch more than a few brief minutes of this program before I am desperate to watch anything or nothing else. The head dude in charge is so over the top cheesey that I don't usually get past that. Talk about full of one's self! Its all just a big nasty ball of velveeta to me. I've tried to get into it but its just not gonna happen for me. I can live with that :D