• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Meat Grinder Recommendations

woodburner

• 2 months later...

I've been using my new Northern Industrial grinder for a couple weeks now, and one of the nicest things about it to me is the all-metal construction of the hopper:

gallery_56799_5407_11301.jpg

This is not just an advantage for toughness: because the metal conducts heat so much better than the plastic of the KitchenAid, if you chill it way down (mine was -10 degrees F when I pulled it out of the freezer) it pulls heat away from the meat very quickly and works like a big heat sink, keeping everything very, very cold.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 3 weeks later...

Chris H, that's a handsome set-up. Have you tried taking the operation outside on a cold day so everything is hovering around the freezing point?

Are the clamps in the background related to charcuterie?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Those clamps are securing the (visible, shiny) base and frame of his piston stuffer.

The base usually has holes to bolt the thing down, but that's going a bit far for most people!

Clamp it and it stays still. (Same idea as with a pasta (rolling) machine.)

Then you have one hand to turn the handle, and one hand to control the skin/casing release from the stuffing horn. Such machines do make the stuffing job easier.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Chris H, that's a handsome set-up. Have you tried taking the operation outside on a cold day so everything is hovering around the freezing point?

Dougal is correct about the clamps: I used to use my wife for this purpose, but the clamps work a bit better :biggrin: . As for taking it outside on a cold day: there have not been any since I moved to OK, but I am hoping that in January I can do some serious Charcuterie in the garage where I have a big work table set up.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 3 months later...

Just to catch up and tidy the odd loose end...

The Electrolux DLX grinder attachment (English English: "mincer") is a treasure.

Its a chunky thing. The same near-industrial size as the NT that is eulogised a few times upthread.

It makes every other mixer attachment grinder I've seen look like a toy.

And it works. Oh yes. Beautifully. Total absence of fuss.

Love it!

I'm just about to bite the bullet and get the coarse plate. I thought it (plus foreign shipping & handling, etc) was expensive. But the cutter seems to be made by Zico - and they don't do cheap.

The only downside seems to be the double plate location notches. This prevents getting 3rd party plates - for example coarser than the coarsest (6mm) offered by Electrolux.

A question. What do you folks do about oiling the plates and cutter before storing the grinder kit away between sessions?

I think we are dealing with very high carbon, very rust-prone steels. How do you protect them?

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

A question. What do you folks do about oiling the plates and cutter before storing the grinder kit away between sessions?

I think we are dealing with very high carbon, very rust-prone steels. How do you protect them?

Wash them, dry them, and then apply this Haynes spray liberally, then wrap in paper towels and store in a ziplock bag. Haven't had any problems since I started doing that.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Since I have a dehydrator, I put the parts in and leave them overnight (the oven would work too, on very low if I didn't have the other) and I use mineral oil - the same stuff I use on my butcher block countertops and buy in the industrial-sized container.

I am fortunate in that I live in the desert and humidity is only a problem on extremely rare occasions.

I do have a friend who lives on a boat and uses a dehumidifier and the large packs of stuff that absorbs moisture to counteract the humidity.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I store my carbon steel plates etc in a Ziploc bag with just a bit of mineral oil. That is easy to find that in the drug store. I also keep a pair of needle nose in there that I use to pull pin bones out of Salmon fillets.

I have some Japanese knives that are carbon steel and those I spray with Camellia Oil that I bought from Epicurean Edge per their recommendation.

Robert

Seattle

For those interested, there is a guy on Ebay who's made custom Kitchenaid grinder plates. 12.5mm/1/2". I haven't used his, but i also had some made for my KA grinder by a machinist friend, and i LOVE the texture/size for salame.

It works awesomely in the KA grinder...very good definition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-5mm-Kitchenaid-Food...1742.m153.l1262

• 1 year later...

For folks who have been putting off getting a meat grinder and who also want to cut larger pieces of meat and poultry down to easier to handle sizes, there is a modest sale on this

combination band saw and meat grinder

at a very reasonable price. There is an additional cost for shipping but this is a heavy, bulky item and their charge is very reasonable compared to what I have paid for items of similar weight and size.

I have purchased a number of items from this vendor (just ordered the "Sportman's Board") and have never been disappointed.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That's an incredible price for a band saw/grinder combo. I would have no room for such a monster machine but I would love to be able to cut and grind at the same time if I had a large primal to dismantle

I used to cut up a lot of game and had a meat band saw but sold it a while back when I found I was really in no shape to be handling heavy joints and etc. (I still have the meat grinder, it is very similar to the one Chris has, just an older model-bigger and clunkier but not more powerful)

The guy that bought the saw also bought and dismantled the hook and hoist I had for hanging really big things, like a deer carcass or a beef quarter. He also bought my big cheese press (18" diameter) although I'm not sure exactly what he planned to do with it. I hadn't used it or the saw for several years but they were sealed in heavyweight Clopay covers.

As I recall, back in the early 90s, I paid about $900. for the band saw plus a heavy duty weighted base with big locking metal wheels and a heavy duty SS table that could be bolted to the saw table.

Admin. note: New Electric Meat Grinder discussion for 2011 at http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/139551-electric-meat-grinder-recommendations-2011/page__p__1825443__hl__meat+grinder__fromsearch__1#entry1825443

• 1 year later...

I currently experiment with sausage making and have been using an old fashioned hand operated grinder but it's just not up to the task. It seizes up, struggles with grinding fat and leave metal flakes in my mince.

Can anyone recommend a domestic grade electric meat grinder i can replace it with? This is a casual hobby so i'd be looking to spend maybe £50/$80 .

One particular one i am looking at is the Orbit OPM700, so opinions on this if you have it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Iain

Kitchener #12 Electric Meat Grinder — 1/2 HP

I've been using this machine for grinding meat for sausage making for a couple of years: it's fast & easy to clean and easily copes with the batches I make - usually 8-10 Kg.

It's a little over your budget at $99 from Northern Tools.com but excellent value IMO

Based on my experience with two similarly priced grinders it's necessary to spend a bit more for a good one. Cheap internal plastic parts break, bend and slip.

Northern Toolhere is the US a good guide.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Kitchener #12 Electric Meat Grinder — 1/2 HP

I've been using this machine for grinding meat for sausage making for a couple of years: it's fast & easy to clean and easily copes with the batches I make - usually 8-10 Kg.

It's a little over your budget at $99 from Northern Tools.com but excellent value IMO

I'll second this recommendation. I've had this machine for 5-6 years, and think it's ideal for anyone who occasionally makes small batches of sausage.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've had a look around and the Kitchener brand doesn't seem to exist over here in the UK, which is a shame as it looks like a decent product.

Hi Ian,

I bought my machine from Northern tools in the UK but strangely they don't offer it at the moment.

You can find it branded as Buffalo meat mincer in the Uk and available from several on-line outlets

• 1 year later...

Hey Everyone!

Second post, first thread here. I am loving this community. Seriously. Loving. It.

So I saw the old grinder recommendations thread and couldn't find a follow up. I'm really interested in getting a good grinder, as my KitchenAid is from 1986 and feeling its age.

Has anyone had any experience with this one?

http://www.amazon.com/STX-TURBOFORCE-3000-SERIES-ATTACHEMENT/dp/B0012KJBR0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1342121341&sr=8-6&keywords=maverick+meat+grinder

It's the STX Turborforce 3000, which when expressed in all caps sounds like a 1950's informercial. Still, the reviews are very good and it retails at $150! The motor is something like 1800 watts as well.

Thanks all,

Stephen

Cooks Illustrated did a review of meat grinders in May of last year. You might check their website if you have access.

They top-rated the Waring Pro but did not compare the STX.

From the looks of both, I think you're on the right track; good price, lots of accessories and very good ratings.

Do you plan to grind your own beef or are more into making sausage?

I was researching this recently and on a few of the hunting sites there was high praise for the grinder from northern tools. The price is right and it has many good reveiws. I am close to getting one.

http://www.northernt...51267_200451267

BTW the 3000w claim in the stx is rather dubious

amps = watts\volts

so 3000/115v= 26 amps

most houshould circuits are 15 or 20 amp circuits, so that grinder would be tripping the breaker if it really consumed 3000w

also 1 hp(I) = 745.699872 W so that would be a 4hp motor

Not saying that is a bad grinder, because with all the good reveiws it is obviously not. I just get a little miffed at these inflated claims that some sellers make.

Edited by BeerCan (log)

@lindag, both actually. When I'm in the mood, I grind beef for my "Last Burger", thought the KitchenAid can handle that. I'm more interested in doing more sausages and revisiting cured saucissons. I know that if I want to do emulsified sausages, I'll need a piston-style stuffer, but this looks good for most of the things I want to do.

@BeerCan, yeah, I saw that and it does suck. I think the legal term is "puffery". But the reviews are good, so... I may pull the trigger here soon. If so, I'll let you guys know.