• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Useful Multilingual Culinary Lexicon

Great link! There's actually a set of further links to culinary dictionaries of various sorts on that site, but many of these are very limited. Hopefully fellow eGulleteers know of some more sites...

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

Clicking on the US, Canadian and UK flags on the MENUTEXT.COM home page, will all take you to the English welcome page. There are three Swiss flags. One is a link to the French welome, another to the German page and the third brings up the Italian page, but all of the flags appear the same. There's no Belgian flag, but there are Walonie and Vlaanderen flags. I find these things fascinating. The site is a development of a company specializing in commercial translations services for restaurants with "experience working for restaurants at all levels in 9 countries: the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and Switzerland." Based on menu translations I have seen, there is a need for someone who does this well. I hope this company is not responsible for the many awful translations I have run across in my travels. Their free database is a wonderful public service, and for that, I offer my thanks to them.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Boy, am I glad you made that clear, vserna - may I add a similar disgust on the part of your Portuguese neighbour? As usual, the French have (quite rightly, though with ever less justification) assumed their place at the centre of the culinary universe and more-than-slightly disregarded their Iberian and Italian comrades.

I wonder whether Spain has the same passion for luscious, gelatinous veal-hoof ("mão de vitela") we do? Served with chick-peas ("garbanzo"/"grão")? Unfortunately, this is not in the dictionary, although I know the French (and even the English, i.e. St.John's in London) enjoy it just as much as we do.

When I recently tried to translate some of the dishes I had at San Pau into French, English or Dutch, those culinary website dictionaries didn't help me much, unfortunately.

My impression is that it will help for the more common dishes and ingredients, but not for the more sophisticated ones.

I wonder whether Spain has the same passion for luscious, gelatinous veal-hoof ("mão de vitela") we do?  Served with chick-peas ("garbanzo"/"grão")? Unfortunately, this is not in the dictionary, although I know the French (and even the English, i.e. St.John's in London) enjoy it just as much as we do.

Veal hoof is seldom eaten alone in Spain. It's usually combined with veal tripe for one of those dishes (callos) that most Anglo-Saxon diners will refuse with a shudder. In addition, some spicy chorizo sausage is added to the hoof and tripe in the Madrileño version, while the Galician callos come, perhaps unsurprisingly, with chick peas.

Other animal's feet do show up often on their own: pig's trotters and lamb's trotters. Curiously, these feet are called 'hands' in Castilian.

Edited by vserna (log)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Veal hoof is seldom eaten alone in Spain. It's usually combined with veal tripe for one of those dishes (callos) that most Anglo-Saxon diners will refuse with a shudder. In addition, some spicy chorizo sausage is added to the hoof and tripe in the Madrileño version, while the Galician callos come, perhaps unsurprisingly, with chick peas.

Sounds delicious to me!

Michael aka "Pan"

And it is, Michael. Even better at the (sadly, soon to close or change hands) old Madrid tavern, Las Batuecas, where the star dish is a juicy, tender, round Spanish potato omelet (tortilla de patatas) surrounded by a nice, soupy helping of callos a la madrileña with its bits of tripe, veal's hoof and chorizo. Barbarian comfort food.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Hands, feet and trotters all seem far more appealing when off the bone. I've never thought to identify the various 'meaty' substances in callos a la madrileña. The chorizo is easily spotted. The rest is just stuff that tastes good. :biggrin:

Some of the best tripe I've had has come from fancy French restaurants in NYC, where, to no great surprise, it's not a big seller.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.