• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for recomendations in

Wendy DeBord

Hi,

We (spouse and I) visited this area last year and loved it so much we are going back this year for our skiing vacation. Unforunately my spouse isn't an adventerous eater... but I'm looking for recomendations for breakfast, lunch and dinner in Blackcomb area (we will have a car)....not fine dinning (were only bringing casual ski clothing). Where do we find good simple seafood there? Who's got a good breakfast? We like to go where the locals go and don't really like the more over priced tourist trap spots.

We will take off one day from skiing to shop at the food market under the bridge (I can't recall the correct name this moment) in Vancouver. I would have loved to buy one of everything I saw there....but being more realistic does anyone have a particular vendor they would reccomend? What shouldn't I miss? We will have a room with a full kitchen but were still looking for simple to prepare meals.

Also I'm definately going back to Sen5es. Can someone remind me what street it's on...which hotel? Which items would you choose from them?

Any other pastry related stops would be exciting for me....?

Thanks for your help! I really hope some of you will respond!...I'm getting so excited...we LOVED, LOVED THIS AREA!!

Edited by Sinclair (log)

I'm sorry this is such a repeat topic. I am reading thru similar threads...so far I haven't found one specificly on Whistler (but then I haven't used the search function yet....cause I'm having fun reading thru everything similar).

Thanks for the tip Jerry, do you have a favorite item there? Also is there any place that serves weaker (but good) coffee in the area? My hubby is a big coffee drinker but prefers it much weaker then the average place in the northwest coast on both sides of the border. It's funny how different simple things can be from area to area.

This market you talk about is Granville Island. Some of the most interesting vendors are :

Oyama sausage company, a traditional "charcuterie", french style. Everything's good, from their "saucisson" to cured hams, terrines and duck confit !

JJbean for coffee.

Terra breads for bread and sweets.

Stock Market, if you want to get some soups or stocks to help you fix a quick meal back in Whistler.

At the entrance of Granville Isl., the Pacific institute of culinary arts has a restaurant that offers a very good value 20$ lunch menu. (closed til Jan 4th)

Not far, on 2nd avenue, just off Burrard, a very good cheese shop "les amis du fromage". Beautiful selection of french cheeses, decent prices.

Whenever i go down there, i gather veg, sausages, salted pork, chicken stock, and du Puy lentils, and its a simple delight !

In Whistler, in case you wanna grab a good burger with the locals, try the Splitz grill.

In Vancouver, Joe's grill on 4th has good breakfast. For a funkier atmosphere, head to Main St (at Broadway) and go to Slickity Jim.

For pastry, "la petite france" on Arbutus and 11th, is a good traditional french bakery. (closed til the 17th). Although Senses (Metropolitan hotel) probably has the best chocolates and some of the best pastries in town.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced, good lunch in the west end,

Yoshi (denman and georgia) has really good sushis. The guy knows what he's doing ! (15-20$)

Kintaro Ramen (denman and robson) is a japanese eatery, always packed, that specializes in bbqued pork soups (7-8$).\

Well, there are lots around. enjoy !

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

Thank-you Edm!

Just as I was hoping to find... a couple of places seem to stand out: Oyama's for sausages and terra for breads (should make for great sandwiches while skiing)....soup from the stock market for dinner back in the room-yummy, maybe a night of fruit, cheese & bread in place of dinner.

We will definately try the splitz grill and Chef Bernards! Thanks for the coffee reccomendation, with a good cup in hand, Hubby will shop much longer.

Thanks for the tip Jerry, do you have a favorite item there?

If it's not too late I recommend the Organic chicken hash or some pancakes if you like pancakes. The hash is damn good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd stop back and update.

Thank-you Jerry_A.......we did go to Chef Bernards and enjoyed it alot. I followed your recomendation and ordered the chicken hash-it was VERY good! The place was hopping (more then other similar businesses) and they were noticably understaffed-but so long as the food is worth suffering the service.... we'll be back.

Everything was pretty quite while we were there in Whistler...the weather wasn't great (raining in the mountains). Although it seemed that the rain brought all of Vancouver out to Grandville Island-cause they were jammin. We had fish and chips (still novel to us Americans) from one of the stores in the dining area and loved it! Although we don't understand the use of vinager as a condiment we tried it. Terra breads had a long line all day-good for them. Oh...I just love this market and wish we had something similar!

I'm not a world traveler (although I wish I was) but I find Vancouver very charming and eye opening. We don't have all the privately owned stores like your country. It's refreshing to see small businesses everywhere!!! I sincerely hope your country NEVER becomes as comercialized with super stores like the States. Our main streets in Chicago (Michigan Ave., State Street, etc...) have nothing but big chain stores including our food options, even the far out lying suburbs are similar. When I write about my opinions about the future of bakeries I see little hope in my area, but you show me that people can think independently and put there money there too. Thanks!