• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Langhe

Coop

I picked up a bottle of this wine at our government super store in Vancouver yesterday. I wonder what to expect. I have had their vineyard designated barbaresco in the past and really liked it. Should I let this wine breath for a few hours? It seemed well priced $24.95 cdn.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I like and sell a lot of this wine ( here its sixteen bucks). Decant this Nebbiolo. It does not remind me of barbaresco however, it is less structured and less oily. That being said however, it still has a lot of structure and can be very tight upon opening. I am assuming you have the 2000 vintage which is (I believe) the current release. The classic flavor profile of Nebi will follow, earth and roses etc....

over it

Hello all (and happy new year 2004!) :smile:

But is it a Nebbiolo or a Langhe rosso (blend)?

I wanted to taste their Nebbiolo 2002 by the glass recently, but the bartender opened a fresh bottle of G. Mascarello Langhe Nebbiolo 1999 instead, I think it was not a bad replacement... Great suggestion! :cool: I'm eager to taste the PdB Nebbiolo anyways.

Cheers,

Alberto

I will join Carema in recommending this wine.

The biggest advantage is that you don't need 5 years for it to open up like the Barbaresco [ Currently the 1997 is quite ready for drinking ] but as suggested the wine does need about 10 to 20 minutes in the glass to start opening up.

The 2000 might even be a friendlier version but with a bit of patience you are bound to enjoy the 2001 as well.

Langhe Nebiolo Produtori del Barbarecso 2001

A good value for the money Nabiolo, dry, earthy and tasty.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.