• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Gummi" shot glasses

JAZ

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, the store where I work started to carry edible shot glasses made from the jelly-like substance that makes up gummy bears and the like. These are from Sweden, and come in 4 flavors: blueberry, strawberry, lemon and gooseberry. For some reason, that last flavor just cracks me up.

Gooseberries are quite good. (The makings of some fine jams and tarts).

I've seen those, and thought why not? Unique, creatable and edible shot glasses are fun.

Years ago Stoli reps tried to get us to serve shots from "glasses" made from ice (with a rather pricey containers for molds) and now supplemented their 2003 Holiday gift boxes with a mold for 5 such ice glasses; and I've made them out of sculpted melons, pineapples and cucumbers. I've molded chocolate cups for the Bailey's during our coffee service. All lovely vessels.

Hmm. Perhaps even tying in my enjoyment of creating pastry and sweets related displays, I suppose I could even sculpt, shape and mold sugar too.

Beats sipping champagne from a slipper, eh?

Yum. :smile:

Years ago Stoli reps tried to get us to serve shots from "glasses" made from ice (with a rather pricey containers for molds) and now supplemented their 2003 Holiday gift boxes with a mold for 5 such ice glasses

We carried the ice glass molds for a while, too. Sounded like a good idea, until we realized that a) the glasses were uncomfortably cold to hang onto, and b) putting your lips on the edge of an ice "glass" was not the smartest thing to do.

JAZ, if you still have them, why not use them with molten sugar? Then you would not have the cold problem, and they would still be edible. And, for those really nasty annoying low-tipping codgers, you could get them one that's still hot enough to boil out all the booze :wink:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.