• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Cake or Christmas Cake

Does anyone make Black Cake for Christmas? Or know any great places to buy it? Or have any good recipes. I am trying to complete a history on it ... and want to find out how it's made and finished in different areas and homes.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

• 2 months later...

Laurie Colwin gave a recipe in one of her books (I think it was Home Cooking). Haven't tried it yet although I've been meaning to - I even bought the Passover wine (which she says is traditional) and all the dried fruits.

We try out a few new recipes each year, each soaked in different liquors and with different combos of dried fruits. My favourite one this year included dried cherries, figs, cranberries, currants, golden raisins, peaches and walnuts. Of course the fruits marinated in port and brandy for two weeks before making te cake. It was made in october and was doused with an equal mix of port and brandy once a week. It was the best one we've made so far.

I have never bought a christmas cake that actually tastes good (and we have tried one's that claim to be the best) and that is why I think there are so many people who claim to hate it.

• 4 years later...

I use Laurie COlwins recipe. I work with several "Island Girls" and they bring me overproof rum and a very sweet wine (called "Red Label") that I soak the fruit in for at least 12 months and also drizzle over the finished cakes. No frosting, no fondant, just yummy, rummy cake.

my source for black cake ... my Trinidadian friend Leslie's mamma, said dark rum and Manishevitz (!!!) although I like the idea of port better. Hard to argue with Mamma,however ... lift the lid of that cake tin and out came the most floral fog of rum ...

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

• 4 weeks later...

just made it this christmas season, took a few tries to have a taste thatll suit your likings but its very good and very diffrent! my clients loved it! just a pain to search for good quality liquors and mixes here in the philippines.

Desserts...just keeps getting better and fatter!

• 1 month later...

I also use Laurie Colwin's recipe for black cake. I have tried a couple of others but keep going back to hers.

For a time we had a Trinidadian restaurant here in town and they served a wonderful black cake - small squares, each wrapped in fluffy white icing. Unfortunately the owner of their building raised the rent to the point that they could not keep the place going.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett